• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Re-Visiting the OCS Discussion

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  2,305
  • Days Won:  6

You pro UCF? .... Nah. Undervaluing RayJay game day experience ...... si.

What exactly am I undervaluing? I'm totally willing to listen and consider. I just dont see it. I have been to every home game within my power for the last 4 years(this would be the 5th), and with the exception of about 3 games(Kansas in 08, Cincy in 09, UM in 09), every game has been terrible and underwhelming. Even the ones we win. Those three were only fun because we played a big name opponent. FSU will probably be on this list in two weeks for me. So what, do we have to wait until a big name team comes to RJS in order for the games to be any good? So maybe once a season? That suuuuuuuuuucks.

I guess I don't understand what you mean by game day experience. To me, a good portion of the game day experience is tailgating and tailgating at Ray Jay is great which is what I'm basing a lot of my opinion on.

Edit: Just saw your last post and understand ... Your main gripe is with the actual game experience.

right. I love tailgating at RJS. No problem with it at all. Tailgating can be great anywhere and RJS provides a ton of room and space for it. My problem is once we get into the stadium.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,738
  • Days Won:  425

What exactly am I undervaluing? I'm totally willing to listen and consider. I just dont see it. I have been to every home game within my power for the last 4 years(this would be the 5th), and with the exception of about 3 games(Kansas in 08, Cincy in 09, UM in 09), every game has been terrible and underwhelming. Even the ones we win. Those three were only fun because we played a big name opponent. FSU will probably be on this list in two weeks for me. So what, do we have to wait until a big name team comes to RJS in order for the games to be any good? So maybe once a season? That suuuuuuuuuucks.

I guess I don't understand what you mean by game day experience. To me, a good portion of the game day experience is tailgating and tailgating at Ray Jay is great which is what I'm basing a lot of my opinion on.

Edit: Just saw your last post and understand ... Your main gripe is with the actual game experience.

right. I love tailgating at RJS. No problem with it at all. Tailgating can be great anywhere and RJS provides a ton of room and space for it. My problem is once we get into the stadium.

We've obviously got different priorities there ... The Bulls down on the field, a dozen or so friends around me, comfy seat, 20 feet to a bathroom, ac and self serve refills on my drink ... I'm happy as a pig rolling in ****. Only problem I have is that I'm right on the aisle and having to put up with fans walking up/down the aisle, oblivious to the fact that there's a game on. Ushers are hit or miss whether they hold them up during play.

Hopefully one day we'll both be satisfied with the total game day experience but if somebody has to be pissed off right now I'm glad it's you not me .... :ph34r:

• Topic Count:  60
  • Content Count:  4,078
  • Days Won:  2

I'd take the UCF bounce house at this point. Scattering fans in a stadium that's so big is silly. Amenities my ass. Get 30-40k people that will stand and shout would make games more exciting. Ray Jay is awesome when it's packed, but it's been a long time. Let's get a place and make the fan experience better by packing a smaller stadium.

I do not find mindless drunks standing and yelling just to make noise exciting. I find excellent performance on the field exciting. If the team is performing, people will stand and yell. BTW, How much money are you going to pony up for this lame ass bounce house?

Probably a hell of a lot more than you, I guess

Yeah, I would not contribute to a bounce house for sure. That said, my problem is I only see "I want, I want, I want" and when it comes to paying for it "they will not let us". If you all go together and establish a fund and maybe a trustee, I am sure (or at least would hope) USF would not turn you all down if you presented them with the money and the plans to build a bounce house. Then, I would have nothing to say since it would be paid for.

I am hoping that we can build a football stadium on par with the baseball and softball facility. I do not think I am asking much and am willing to wait for it. I think too that USF should wait and see what happens with the league's status before spending money which may not be there in the future (unless of course, you all pony up some cold hard cash)

Steve's point above is a little extreme but it cannot be denied as prudent.

Edited by Mission9

We've obviously got different priorities there ... The Bulls down on the field, a dozen or so friends around me, comfy seat, 20 feet to a bathroom, ac and self serve refills on my drink ... I'm happy as a pig rolling in ****. Only problem I have is that I'm right on the aisle and having to put up with fans walking up/down the aisle, oblivious to the fact that there's a game on. Ushers are hit or miss whether they hold them up during play.

Hopefully one day we'll both be satisfied with the total game day experience but if somebody has to be pissed off right now I'm glad it's you not me .... :ph34r:

Yeah Trip, why we are on the aisle issue, why can't our fans follow the NHL rules on their own and stay down below (or above) when the action is going on? It is amazing how a big play will happen and 15 people are walking up and down. During the TV timouts, no one is to be found, LOL. I know when I am returning to my seat, I try to pay attention what is going on and wait if need be so that I do not spoil the view for others.

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  2,305
  • Days Won:  6

hahaha well lucky you then. To me though, CFB is about the entire experience. Unfortunately it depends on the people around you. You come together with a chant or battle cry, and you create this buzz throughout the stadium. Think of Camp Randall's jump around. If you're not a fan of such a thing, then yes I suppose RJS is great. However, all of those things you listed pretty much describe my house. I can save myself the gas and sweat by staying at home. I can also stand whenever I want. I go to the games because I want to stand the entire time, yell and scream obscenities, lose my voice by halftime, throw some random girl in the air 7 times for every touchdown, wave some towel/rag/object in the air, sing a song or chant in unison with tens of thousands of people, rush the field when we win a big game, I could go on forever so Ill stop lol

• Topic Count:  238
  • Content Count:  4,139
  • Days Won:  1

Before I start. I understand money makes it a bleak option, so please remove that aspect from this. We're not getting a OCS next week or in a few years

RJS sucks for college football. And to top ot off our fanbase will NEVER be packing that joint regularly anytime soon. Our actual attendance has been consistent the last 5-6 years.

It's a pro stadium, developed for and catered to pro football. TShirt cannons. Arena rock. All that fun stuff.

I'd love to see a 45-50k stadium designed with the nice amenities for those who want to pay for them. A designed area for herding in students. Tailgating on campus. It would be a dream

thats a good point and i think most people understand it wont happen for 5 or maybe even 10 years.... but i think its time for everyone to accept the realities and facts that we NEED one.

the people that say they like at rayjay and we don't need one... go to an away game, walk around campus on game day and you will see

other places... its an all day event with tons of buzz on campus and tons of alumni flooding back onto campus

Two things about your last statement... One, most of the other schools we play have history, What do we have? Tradition? No, we don't. As fans, we can't even collectively get sound off our own kickoff. Who sings the alma mater? We're still in short pants when it comes to the whole football experience to begin with. It's true if we win, they will come, no matter where we play. If you have a good product, people will buy it, But we as fans have to make an experience for the neophytes who show up. Enthusiasm is contagious, If we make a great atmosphere for every game, people will want to be a part of it.

Two, the other is Alumni, USF doesn't have what it takes to keep Alumni coming back. look and see how many million dollar Alumni donate to USF compared to uf or fsu... It's laughable. We do have a handful of contributors and they are greatly appreciated, but even homecoming gets worse every year. USF needs to make Alums feel that they are the backbone of the athletics program which they don't. I know that there is a division between the AA and Athletics but USF needs to see which side their bread is buttered. The Alumni should instill pride in their school to everyone they meet. I personally know Alums from other schools who don't miss any game, nonetheless homecoming... USF has to create a greater demand for the program, and for us at this time, winning is the only option.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

The atmosphere at RJS COULD be good, but it's not. It's so sterile. Always has been.

Before I start. I understand money makes it a bleak option, so please remove that aspect from this. We're not getting a OCS next week or in a few years

RJS sucks for college football. And to top ot off our fanbase will NEVER be packing that joint regularly anytime soon. Our actual attendance has been consistent the last 5-6 years.

It's a pro stadium, developed for and catered to pro football. TShirt cannons. Arena rock. All that fun stuff.

I'd love to see a 45-50k stadium designed with the nice amenities for those who want to pay for them. A designed area for herding in students. Tailgating on campus. It would be a dream

thats a good point and i think most people understand it wont happen for 5 or maybe even 10 years.... but i think its time for everyone to accept the realities and facts that we NEED one.

the people that say they like at rayjay and we don't need one... go to an away game, walk around campus on game day and you will see

other places... its an all day event with tons of buzz on campus and tons of alumni flooding back onto campus

Two things about your last statement... One, most of the other schools we play have history, What do we have? Tradition? No, we don't. As fans, we can't even collectively get sound off our own kickoff. Who sings the alma mater? We're still in short pants when it comes to the whole football experience to begin with. It's true if we win, they will come, no matter where we play. If you have a good product, people will buy it, But we as fans have to make an experience for the neophytes who show up. Enthusiasm is contagious, If we make a great atmosphere for every game, people will want to be a part of it.

Two, the other is Alumni, USF doesn't have what it takes to keep Alumni coming back. look and see how many million dollar Alumni donate to USF compared to uf or fsu... It's laughable. We do have a handful of contributors and they are greatly appreciated, but even homecoming gets worse every year. USF needs to make Alums feel that they are the backbone of the athletics program which they don't. I know that there is a division between the AA and Athletics but USF needs to see which side their bread is buttered. The Alumni should instill pride in their school to everyone they meet. I personally know Alums from other schools who don't miss any game, nonetheless homecoming... USF has to create a greater demand for the program, and for us at this time, winning is the only option.

Mutt just eloquently stated what I have been trying so say about the atmosphere. It is on us first and the team second. A building is not going to magically make USF football the place to by all by itself. Edited by Mission9

• Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  197
  • Days Won:  0

I'll agree with this 50%, USF Athletics and the TSA have to also be on board to create an environment that fosters a better atmosphere. They have done nothing to give a sense that they care.

• Topic Count:  205
  • Content Count:  2,187

I'm 100% with you Hatter with your points.

As far as atmosphere goes- problem is, TBP represents a very small amount of USF fans that are at the games. The majority of fans at RJS are perfectly content with the boring atmosphere.