• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

The Running Game

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Content Count:  3,802
  • Days Won:  3

I find it hard to believe that this has not been situated after 3 years.

• The RBs and the offensive line at USF are good enough to get the job done. The problem is the commitment to the running game.
  • USF is not going to be successful throwing 50 passes a game especially if every pass is a 5 or 7 yard out with no screens or passes over the middle.
  • Every running play will not yield 5+ yard gains, but running the ball will run the clock, it will wear out a defensive line and it will pull safeties into the box.

I really thought Holtz and Fitch said this was one of the things USF was planning to do this year. After the first quarter of the season I have not really seen this style of play.

It's interesting how posters disagree with one another. It shows the complete lack of an identity on the offenses part.

If we did point 2 against Rutgers I think we win the game. They were giving us the 5 yd short stuff the whole game and we never took it, until the end. I believe the commentators even commented on it.

As fans, we have no idea what our identity on offense is. I guess it keeps opposing teams on their toes for the first 5 minutes of the game too; seeing what we're going to do that day. Unfortunately, they can figure it out pretty quickly afterward since we make no adjustments.

If we had coordinators with the ability to make adjustments "on the fly" we'd actually have a pretty dynamic offense. Just take what the defense gives you, not what you came up with pre-game the entire time.

Edited by The Great 8

• Topic Count:  215
  • Content Count:  1,777
  • Days Won:  0

• The RBs and the offensive line at USF are good enough to get the job done. The problem is the commitment to the running game.
  • USF is not going to be successful throwing 50 passes a game especially if every pass is a 5 or 7 yard out with no screens or passes over the middle.
  • Every running play will not yield 5+ yard gains, but running the ball will run the clock, it will wear out a defensive line and it will pull safeties into the box.

I really thought Holtz and Fitch said this was one of the things USF was planning to do this year. After the first quarter of the season I have not really seen this style of play.

And your evidence of bullet #1 is.... ????? I really find it hard to believe that if we had any success running the ball that Skip and Co wouldn't run the crap out of it. Tenn Chatt aside, our O line hasn't opened a lot, if any, holes.

Just wait and see how this board lights up after 3 consecutive 3 and outs with us not trying a pass.

To your point CousinRicky there is no hard evidence to prove they will be successful running the ball there is more proof that USF is not committed to the run.

Was Nevada's OL was glaringly better than USFs from a talent perspective?

Is there really a huge talent gap between the offensive lines in the Big East?

I don't think so. The only glaring difference is commitment to the run. When Andre Hall was all USF had, USF ran the ball successfully. USF has more talent today at all positions, mind you there is no RB quite like Andre Hall.

now to Flip's point whether it is Daniels or some other QB playing under center will help USF to disguise the run better. Right now everything is rather obvious.

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,687
  • Days Won:  8

It seems like the we run the ball the first play of every new possession and almost every first down.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,699
  • Days Won:  108

And your evidence of bullet #1 is.... ????? I really find it hard to believe that if we had any success running the ball that Skip and Co wouldn't run the crap out of it. Tenn Chatt aside, our O line hasn't opened a lot, if any, holes.

Just wait and see how this board lights up after 3 consecutive 3 and outs with us not trying a pass.

To your point CousinRicky there is no hard evidence to prove they will be successful running the ball there is more proof that USF is not committed to the run.

Was Nevada's OL was glaringly better than USFs from a talent perspective?

Is there really a huge talent gap between the offensive lines in the Big East?

I don't think so. The only glaring difference is commitment to the run. When Andre Hall was all USF had, USF ran the ball successfully. USF has more talent today at all positions, mind you there is no RB quite like Andre Hall.

now to Flip's point whether it is Daniels or some other QB playing under center will help USF to disguise the run better. Right now everything is rather obvious.

I guess it is a chicken or the egg thing. As for the O Lines, Nevada has an excellent O line.

• Topic Count:  28
  • Content Count:  1,913
  • Days Won:  2

The run game wasn't there at all Thursday. RBs had 14 carries for 27 yards. Offensive line had no push at line of scrimmage. USF has every desire to establish the run and control the game from the line of scrimmage -- it just wasn't there Thursday. Opening play of the game, they line up with Murray and Lamar in same backfield, and Lamar's dropped for a loss. Talked to Popek and Murray tonight in interviews -- they want to carry the load for the offense and are disappointed the run game wasn't there against Rutgers.

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/bulls/content/holtz-disappointed-offensive-lines-mental-busts

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,699
  • Days Won:  108

The run game wasn't there at all Thursday. RBs had 14 carries for 27 yards. Offensive line had no push at line of scrimmage. USF has every desire to establish the run and control the game from the line of scrimmage -- it just wasn't there Thursday. Opening play of the game, they line up with Murray and Lamar in same backfield, and Lamar's dropped for a loss. Talked to Popek and Murray tonight in interviews -- they want to carry the load for the offense and are disappointed the run game wasn't there against Rutgers.

http://www.tampabay....es-mental-busts

Confirmation from an independent source. I always liked Greg. :)

• Topic Count:  215
  • Content Count:  1,777
  • Days Won:  0

USF was much better running the ball in the 3rd quarter when they mixed up the pass and the run. Unfortunately the best drive they had ended with an interception in the endzone, it was basically a bang bang play and the ball ended up in the hands of a Rutgers player.

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/playbyplay?gameId=322570058&period=3

In the 4th quarter USF attempted 1 rush with a running back. For some reason they went pass happy and they were only down by 7.

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/playbyplay?gameId=322570058&period=4

Murray Stats:

1st Quarter: 3 rush / 4 yards

2nd Quarter: 1 rush / 3 yards

3rd Quarter: 4 rushes / 19 yards (3 rushes on the 70 yard drive)

4th Quarter: 1 rush / 1 yards