• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

The Running Game

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  215
  • Content Count:  1,777
  • Days Won:  0

I am not sure whether USF can run the ball or if the coaching staff chooses not to run the ball with RBs. Looking at the rushing attempts across the Big East this week.

USF: 29 (BJ Daniels 15 Attempts)

Rutgers: 42

Pitt: 55

UConn: 40

Louisville: 43

Syracuse: 45

Cincy: 49

Temple: DNP

If the plan is to shift to a pass heavy offense then I expect to see shorter quicker passes. Which I have not seen in the first three games. at this point I am not see USF to anything consistently on offense to help them move the ball down the field.

NOTE: I think I saw more screen passes at the Notre Dame game than I have see all this season.

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

One thing I have said for the last several years is that the Big East teams that have been most successful are the teams that have featured the running game. Mostly power running teams. This is especially true as the weather turns bad. <br /><br />Teams that have been successful in the BE in recent years have been UCONN (Jordan Todman, Donald Brown, Andre Dixon, Lyle McCombs), Pitt (Shady McCoy, Dion Lewis, Ray Graham), Cincy (Isaiah Pead), WVU (Slaton, Pat White, Noel Devine with FB Schmitt). When UL was strong they had Michael Bush. Rutgers best years were the Ray Rice years. <br /><br />The point is that the teams that win the BE have all featured strong running games. WVU was a spread option team, but when they needed to they could line up with a great fullback and play the power game. All of these teams played tough, smash mouth football. <br /><br />We never hear the word tough used when describing our football team. All we ever hear is team speed and is usually associated with our LBs and DL. <br /><br />Our team is built primarily with fast Florida guys and for the last several years I have been saying that until we start building our team like a BE team and start recruiting players that can line up and play smash mouth tough football we won&#39;t progress. <br /><br />No successful team has ever been built by recruiting only Florida players. (Don&#39;t tell me that the old Miami, FSU and UF teams recruited only from Florida because it is not accurate). The recruiting philosophy needs to change or we won&#39;t progress. <br /><br />To be successful in the BE, how about acting like a BE team.

Edited by usfgrad84

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

1. bj isnt an accurate consistent passer so shifting away from running game with bj at the helm isnt smart

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

One thing I have said for the last several years is that the Big East teams that have been most successful are the teams that have featured the running game. Mostly power running teams. This is especially true as the weather turns bad. <br /><br />Teams that have been successful in the BE in recent years have been UCONN (Jordan Todman, Donald Brown, Andre Dixon, Lyle McCombs), Pitt (Shady McCoy, Dion Lewis, Ray Graham), Cincy (Isaiah Pead), WVU (Slaton, Pat White, Noel Devine with FB Schmitt). When UL was strong they had Michael Bush. Rutgers best years were the Ray Rice years. <br /><br />The point is that the teams that win the BE have all featured strong running games. WVU was a spread option team, but when they needed to they could line up with a great fullback and play the power game. All of these teams played tough, smash mouth football. <br /><br />We never hear the word tough used when describing our football team. All we ever hear is team speed and is usually associated with our LBs and DL. <br /><br />Our team is built primarily with fast Florida guys and for the last several years I have been saying that until we start building our team like a BE team and start recruiting players that can line up and play smash mouth tough football we won&#39;t progress. <br /><br />No successful team has ever been built by recruiting only Florida players. (Don&#39;t tell me that the old Miami, FSU and UF teams recruited only from Florida because it is not accurate). The recruiting philosophy needs to change or we won&#39;t progress. <br /><br />To be successful in the BE, how about acting like a BE team.

we need to recruit fast guys that can play football

tackle;throw and catch a football

In 2006 and 2008 UF did not have a power running game but they did have a bunch of fast guys that played good football and they were consistent about running the ball. Right now at USF and even over the last 4 to 5 years the offense has not had an identity. Is this a passing team or is this a running team?

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,701
  • Days Won:  108

You watch other games and you see actual holes for RB's to run through. I think Skip would love to come out and run the ball. The problem is one of a couple of things;

a) there are no holes or

B) the RB's don't hit them if they are there or

c) all of the above.

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  3,222
  • Days Won:  8

It's a big problem. So bad it may be a glaring reflection on our coaches abilitites. If we can't run, and BJ can't disperse the ball quickly, then we are done and the coaches shouldn't get paid.

I find it hard to believe that this has not been situated after 3 years.

• The RBs and the offensive line at USF are good enough to get the job done. The problem is the commitment to the running game.
  • USF is not going to be successful throwing 50 passes a game especially if every pass is a 5 or 7 yard out with no screens or passes over the middle.
  • Every running play will not yield 5+ yard gains, but running the ball will run the clock, it will wear out a defensive line and it will pull safeties into the box.

I really thought Holtz and Fitch said this was one of the things USF was planning to do this year. After the first quarter of the season I have not really seen this style of play.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,701
  • Days Won:  108

I find it hard to believe that this has not been situated after 3 years.

• The RBs and the offensive line at USF are good enough to get the job done. The problem is the commitment to the running game.
  • USF is not going to be successful throwing 50 passes a game especially if every pass is a 5 or 7 yard out with no screens or passes over the middle.
  • Every running play will not yield 5+ yard gains, but running the ball will run the clock, it will wear out a defensive line and it will pull safeties into the box.

I really thought Holtz and Fitch said this was one of the things USF was planning to do this year. After the first quarter of the season I have not really seen this style of play.

And your evidence of bullet #1 is.... ????? I really find it hard to believe that if we had any success running the ball that Skip and Co wouldn't run the crap out of it. Tenn Chatt aside, our O line hasn't opened a lot, if any, holes.

Just wait and see how this board lights up after 3 consecutive 3 and outs with us not trying a pass.

Edited by CousinRicky

• Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

1. bj isnt an accurate consistent passer so shifting away from running game with bj at the helm isnt smart

B.J. is better under center. He's good with play action.