• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Groundhog Day

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  68
  • Content Count:  742
  • Days Won:  0

It pains me to say this but there is no way this team will be successful with BJ as the quarterback. It took me 4 years to come to grips with it. He is easy to scheme against and cannot make plays when the opposing defense brings pressure. Honestly they would be better running the option than what we saw tonight. This game could have been any Rutgers game from the last 4 years. This team has regressed the last 4 years.

Edited by jaym

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

He has a skill set, this coaching staff is trying to fit a square peg in a round hole with him. He's an option qb, not a pocket passer, but, they've been forcing it for 3 years.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,700
  • Days Won:  108

He has a skill set, this coaching staff is trying to fit a square peg in a round hole with him. He's an option qb, not a pocket passer, but, they've been forcing it for 3 years.

I agree. And the biggest scare is that Skip doesn't adapt to his players. He has his philosophy and, By God, we're going to do it that way. You come out from opening kickoff with what looked to be a 2 tight end and 2 RB set against Rutgers. Yeah, we showed them. 3 and out. Run in down their throats. Our longest run may have been a 9 yarder by Murray in the 2nd half.

• Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  8,612
  • Days Won:  28

It's difficult watching BJ play. He seems like a great kid, super athlete, works his tail off, but he just isn't a BCS level QB. He's okay when we play teams with less talent. When we play teams with equal or superior talent where he has to rely on making quick decisions and accurate throws it's a disaster.

I fault Skip for trying to turn him in to something he's not. He should have adapted his offense to his skill set and not the other way around.

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  936
  • Days Won:  1

BJ either throws a dink pass or just throws the ball up and prays someone catches it.

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

It's difficult watching BJ play. He seems like a great kid, super athlete, works his tail off, but he just isn't a BCS level QB. He's okay when we play teams with less talent. When we play teams with equal or superior talent where he has to rely on making quick decisions and accurate throws it's a disaster.

I fault Skip for trying to turn him in to something he's not. He should have adapted his offense to his skill set and not the other way around.

Do you think he would do well in Ga Tech's offense? I do... he IS a BCS qb, just not in our "system".

I really do not mean to go back to Leavitt in every thread, but, look how he adapted between having Andre Hall (power running team) to the next year with Grothe (spread option).

It didn't take 3 years, he analyzed what he had and went with the best system for his players.

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

Do you think he would do well in Ga Tech's offense? I do... he IS a BCS qb, just not in our "system".

I really do not mean to go back to Leavitt in every thread, but, look how he adapted between having Andre Hall (power running team) to the next year with Grothe (spread option).

It didn't take 3 years, he analyzed what he had and went with the best system for his players.

home run. unfortunately

• Topic Count:  128
  • Content Count:  1,768

BJ's best year was his first year. Which reflects poorly on the coaching staff in one of two ways. Either, as others have mentioned, they changed the offense against his strengths and over the course of 3 years, still refuse to adapt it back to make him and the offense successful. Or, they have failed to coach him up and help him progress in this new offense while simultaneously faililng to find a QB that fits "their" system as a backup.

I go with the square peg in the round hole. They completely neutured him on one of his greatest strengths (running the ball). How many 30+ yard runs did we see BJ bust in 09 (and how many with Grothe before him). Has he even had one run that long over the past 3 years? Why take that away?

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  118

Skip sucks , bj sucks ...... It's that simple

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  68
  • Content Count:  742
  • Days Won:  0

Before we start pointing fingers at the coaches. Lets look at the facts.

* Grothe gets hurt, BJ comes in at FSU. Had a great game because no one knew how to scheme against him. Then Big East play began. Got smoked because people figured out how to scheme against him. Remember Leavitt saying he had the Rutgers game circled at the beginning of the year and we got pummeled. The back up QB at that time was Landi I think?

* Leavitt gets let go. Skip comes in a keeps a couple recruits. I think he signed that QB out Georgia, cannot remember his name, eventually left the team. 2010 backup QB is walk on Bobby Eveld and 3rd string is Landi. Probably not pushing BJ very hard. BJ cannot pickup the scheme. They slim the play book down.

* Next year. They sign Matt Floyd who I think red shirts. Skip says there is a big gap between 1st and 2nd string QB. Same crap different year. BJ cannot make the opposing D pay when they bring pressure. Has a "big time" running back in Darrell Scott and a senior offensive line. Scott shows some things but puts the ball on the ground. Groundhog day part 2

* This year. BJ shows he can throw the 50 yard bomb. Still cannot make plays over the middle. Cannot pickup the blitz. Groundhog day part 3.

Skip is screwed. He cannot bench BJ. I think the team loves him and he is a captain. He risks loosing the team.