• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Groundhog Day

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  128
  • Content Count:  1,768
  • Days Won:  1

Before we start pointing fingers at the coaches. Lets look at the facts.

* Grothe gets hurt, BJ comes in at FSU. Had a great game because no one knew how to scheme against him. Then Big East play began. Got smoked because people figured out how to scheme against him. Remember Leavitt saying he had the Rutgers game circled at the beginning of the year and we got pummeled. The back up QB at that time was Landi I think?

* Leavitt gets let go. Skip comes in a keeps a couple recruits. I think he signed that QB out Georgia, cannot remember his name, eventually left the team. 2010 backup QB is walk on Bobby Eveld and 3rd string is Landi. Probably not pushing BJ very hard. BJ cannot pickup the scheme. They slim the play book down.

* Next year. They sign Matt Floyd who I think red shirts. Skip says there is a big gap between 1st and 2nd string QB. Same crap different year. BJ cannot make the opposing D pay when they bring pressure. Has a "big time" running back in Darrell Scott and a senior offensive line. Scott shows some things but puts the ball on the ground. Groundhog day part 2

* This year. BJ shows he can throw the 50 yard bomb. Still cannot make plays over the middle. Cannot pickup the blitz. Groundhog day part 3.

Skip is screwed. He cannot bench BJ. I think the team loves him and he is a captain. He risks loosing the team.

The current coaching staff definitely deserves part (if not alot) of the blame here. Again, BJ had his best year in 2009 (highest QB rating, most TD's) while racking up those stats verse by far the toughest schedule he's faced here at USF (7 teams finished ranked or "also received votes" that year on our schedule) also while missing 2 cupcakes at the beginning of the year to rack up stats against. He wasn't a Geno Smith that year or anything, but he was a good/very adequate QB who was dangerous.

Somehow in 3 years since he's not only not developed, but regressed. At the very least, if BJ simply is incapable of improving and he is what he is, then the coaching staff needs to realize what they have and tailor the offense to take advantage of his strengths. I've seen no move by our coaching staff to do this. You have to put people in the right situation to succeed, you can't simply continue to do the same things hoping he might pick it up. At this point, that ship has sailed, so make the adjustments.

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

* Grothe gets hurt, BJ comes in at FSU. Had a great game because no one knew how to scheme against him. Then Big East play began. Got smoked because people figured out how to scheme against him. Remember Leavitt saying he had the Rutgers game circled at the beginning of the year and we got pummeled. The back up QB at that time was Landi I think?

* Leavitt gets let go. Skip comes in a keeps a couple recruits. I think he signed that QB out Georgia, cannot remember his name, eventually left the team. 2010 backup QB is walk on Bobby Eveld and 3rd string is Landi. Probably not pushing BJ very hard. BJ cannot pickup the scheme. They slim the play book down.

* Next year. They sign Matt Floyd who I think red shirts. Skip says there is a big gap between 1st and 2nd string QB. Same crap different year. BJ cannot make the opposing D pay when they bring pressure. Has a "big time" running back in Darrell Scott and a senior offensive line. Scott shows some things but puts the ball on the ground. Groundhog day part 2

* This year. BJ shows he can throw the 50 yard bomb. Still cannot make plays over the middle. Cannot pickup the blitz. Groundhog day part 3.

Skip is screwed. He cannot bench BJ. I think the team loves him and he is a captain. He risks loosing the team.

The current coaching staff definitely deserves part (if not alot) of the blame here. Again, BJ had his best year in 2009 (highest QB rating, most TD's) while racking up those stats verse by far the toughest schedule he's faced here at USF (7 teams finished ranked or "also received votes" that year on our schedule) also while missing 2 cupcakes at the beginning of the year to rack up stats against. He wasn't a Geno Smith that year or anything, but he was a good/very adequate QB who was dangerous.

Somehow in 3 years since he's not only not developed, but regressed. At the very least, if BJ simply is incapable of improving and he is what he is, then the coaching staff needs to realize what they have and tailor the offense to take advantage of his strengths. I've seen no move by our coaching staff to do this. You have to put people in the right situation to succeed, you can't simply continue to do the same things hoping he might pick it up. At this point, that ship has sailed, so make the adjustments.

QFT.

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

right on.

I keep harping on Snyder but he took a 5-7 team and in 3 years finished in top 10 in a much tougher conference. his QB last year had 13 TDs and 6 picks 57% completion percentage and his QB rating was 10 points lower than BJs. They went 10-2. He ran this QB 300+ times even though he only averaged 3.6 ypc (lower than BJs). Don't you think teams stack the box against them? Blitz them?

He tailored the offense to fit the QBs strengths.

Skip is trying to force BJ to adapt to his offense. That's not good coaching.

• Topic Count:  68
  • Content Count:  742
  • Days Won:  0

right on.

I keep harping on Snyder but he took a 5-7 team and in 3 years finished in top 10 in a much tougher conference. his QB last year had 13 TDs and 6 picks 57% completion percentage and his QB rating was 10 points lower than BJs. They went 10-2. He ran this QB 300+ times even though he only averaged 3.6 ypc (lower than BJs). Don't you think teams stack the box against them? Blitz them?

While I agree and don't dispute what you guys are saying. What are you saying Skip should do? Convert to the option? I am not sure that Skip keeps BJ from running. I think that BJ wants to throw the 50 yard bomb. There is disconnect between coaching and execution.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,201
  • Days Won:  2

As long as we have BJ we will not win big east....this team isn't good enough to make up for the bad plays BJ makes.

Can only hope that AW is as good as he looks to be and still commits to USF.

How can bobby eveld really be worse than bj he won us the game at miami 2 years ago....these coaches haven't developed him any since then?

right on.

While I agree and don't dispute what you guys are saying. What are you saying Skip should do? Convert to the option? I am not sure that Skip keeps BJ from running. I think that BJ wants to throw the 50 yard bomb. There is disconnect between coaching and execution.

kansas state has a QB no better than BJ. in fact statistically speaking he is worse in every passing category as well as yards per carry. He had more rushing attempts than passing attempts last year.

He averaged .89 passes for every run.

They went 10-2

Last year BJ Daniels had 2.8 passes for every run.

we went 5-7

that is a huge difference. BJ Daniels is not a natural passer. He is a natural runner. why is he throwing it 3 times more than he is running it?? it's the play calls.

I'm not saying convert to the option but adjust your offense and play calling to your QBs strength (i.e. running the ball)

why on god's green earth would you call 33 pass plays in a tight game where your rush first QB was averaging 4.5 ypc??

bring in extra blockers. use a **** fullback. wasn't holtz all about fullbacks when he brought the guy from ecu with him? what the hell happened to a blocking fullback.

Edited by Bull94

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

right on.

kansas state has a QB no better than BJ. in fact statistically speaking he is worse in every passing category as well as yards per carry. He had more rushing attempts than passing attempts last year.

They went 10-2

we went 5-7

that is a huge difference. BJ Daniels is not a natural passer. He is a natural runner. why is he throwing it 3 times more than he is running it?? it's the play calls.

I'm not saying convert to the option but adjust your offense and play calling to your QBs strength (i.e. running the ball)

why on god's green earth would you call 33 pass plays in a tight game where your rush first QB was averaging 4.5 ypc??

bring in extra blockers. use a **** fullback. wasn't holtz all about fullbacks when he brought the guy from ecu with him? what the hell happened to a blocking fullback.

Even on Murray's TD run, the threat of BJ running opened the hole. BJ running opens things up for everyone.

right on.

They went 10-2

we went 5-7

Even on Murray's TD run, the threat of BJ running opened the hole. BJ running opens things up for everyone.

everything should be based off of his running ability. he should not pass the ball 3 times for every time he runs it like he did last year and like he is doing so far this year. his running should set up everything else in the offense.

our best record under skip holtz had BJ Daniels passing the ball 2.2 times for every run. still not ideal but as his pass attempts:rushing attempts go up our record gets worse. I understand you pass more when losing but last year we were in every game but 1. there is no reason why Daniels should be passing this much