• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

CBS Sports Takes Rutgers

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Thinking USF is capable of winning each game is totally different from sitting here in September and saying you expect the team to be undefeated the first week of January. The latter is just an absurd expectation, to the highest degree. I don't think USF can't beat Rutgers, or any other Big East team. But I also don't think the opposite is true: Any one of those teams is also capable of beating USF. And one or two of them (at least) will. That's just common sense. It's not about avoiding disappointment, it's about not having your head up your ass.

More like it's about going through life as a debbie downer...

EeyoreYES.jpg

is that the Rutgers cheer squad?

Pretty sure this is the captain of the Rutgers cheer squad:

MV5BMTI1MDg3MzIzN15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwNTU5MTA3._V1._SX485_SY727_.jpg

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,703
  • Days Won:  108

Thinking USF is capable of winning each game is totally different from sitting here in September and saying you expect the team to be undefeated the first week of January. The latter is just an absurd expectation, to the highest degree. I don't think USF can't beat Rutgers, or any other Big East team. But I also don't think the opposite is true: Any one of those teams is also capable of beating USF. And one or two of them (at least) will. That's just common sense. It's not about avoiding disappointment, it's about not having your head up your ass.

I'm not saying that looking forward I fully expect to go undefeated, I already said that anything can happen on any given week... but... if we win this week... I expect to win next week... if we win next week, I'll go into FSU expecting to win, if we win that one... well... you get it... Until there is a tic mark in the loss column...and even after we have one or two or 7 losses... on a week by week basis, I am going to wake up on game day fully expecting to see the best product we can put on the field. I've been disappointed before and I'll be disappointed again... God I hope our coaches and players expect to win every time we step on the field. Expecting to lose is a sure fire way to succeed.

Agree completely.

From dictionary . com (my bolding)

Expect:

1. to look forward to; regard as likely to happen; anticipate the occurrence or the coming of:

2. to look for with reason or justification

Hope:

1. the feeling that what is wanted can be had or that events will turn out for the best:

2. a particular instance of this feeling: the hope of winning.

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Please come, o come Thursday night to save us from semantics hell ...

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  2,305
  • Days Won:  6

I don't expect to lose any Big East conf game. There isn't one that we can't win.

I agree, there isnt one we cant win. That doesnt mean we wont. There shouldnt have been any losses last year either. There were 6 of them. 6 disgusting, painful, apathy inducing losses. Every loss hurts, and while I dont see any harm in being optimistic or having high expectations, I dont see anything wrong with the other side either.

I, for one, am cautiously optimistic about this game and every game. I will not buy into any hype until after the 12th game. That does not mean I think we will lose every game. I am just not going to call any blowouts against any BCS opponent. Under Holtz, have we beaten down any opponent? I dont remember much from 2010, but last year they only beat ND by 3 and Cuse by 20. I guess that counts. The other 3 wins dont count.

not sure I understand you--- you think we should have won that game against Pitt? it was not even close--we got trounced.

6 conference losses, 7 losses overall

No, I wasnt referring to how close the games were; even though that only makes it hurt more.

I meant that we had the talent to beat every team on our schedule last year. Every single one of them. But we didnt. That was my point. Just because we can, doesnt mean we will. Look at Arkansas. I was also just talking about conference losses, hence why I said 6.

• Topic Count:  34
  • Content Count:  2,166
  • Days Won:  1

More like it's about going through life as a debbie downer...

EeyoreYES.jpg

is that the Rutgers cheer squad?

If so they're much more attractive this year!

• Topic Count:  34
  • Content Count:  2,166
  • Days Won:  1

I've got to agree. I'm nor dumb or predicting to win every game. But there's not a game (maybe fsu) in which I expect a loss. The beauty of this team is that we do have the ability to win any game we schedule. That doesn't mean we have the consistency to win them all, or even most, but if a high level were maintained,I wouldn't pick us to lose.

There's a big difference between understanding whether we have to play our A game to win, and thinking we'll simply win every game. And the good teams win some games when they only bring their C game, which I think we saw last week.