• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Depth Chart is in

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  731
  • Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

Wonder if TRex is still handling returns as he has moved into the 1's on offense.

They have him listed for punt returns.

KR 5 Lindsey Lamar 5-9 180 Sr.

PR 10 Terrence Mitchell 5-10 164 Jr.

Guess Skip is loathe to change that after the last experiment.

• Topic Count:  576
  • Content Count:  8,174
  • Days Won:  6

I think we are finally starting to build some depth...

we'll see how it evolves

• Topic Count:  1,207
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

USF releases first depth chart

August, 15, 2012

Aug 15

5:05

PM ET

By Andrea Adelson | ESPN.com

USF coach Skip Holtz has released his first depth chart of fall camp, following the first scrimmage this past weekend. Keep in mind, injured players are not featured on the chart.

Holtz said in a statement:

“We used all the information we have up to this point, including the scrimmage, to determine the first depth chart of fall camp. Obviously, it is a fluid listing with potential changes each day. We took a hard look at each position and determined how the pieces would fit and we wanted to take a look at some things that we feel might help us be a better overall football team. As I’ve said, I’m really proud of how these players are working right now and I’m looking forward to seeing how these position battles play out through the rest of fall camp.â€

Among some of the notable changes:

• Darrell Williams and Mark Popek have swapped positions on the offensive line. Popek, who started every game at left tackle last year, is now at left guard. Williams is at left tackle.
  • Andre Davis seems to have solidified himself as a starting receiver. Terrence Mitchell and Sterling Griffin are listed as co-starters at another receiver position.
  • At running back, Marcus Shaw has moved ahead of Lindsey Lamar and is now a co-starter with Demetris Murray.
  • George Baker and Kenneth Durden are listed as co-starters for the vacant cornerback job open opposite Kayvon Webster. True freshman Chris Bivins is listed right behind. Mark Joyce is also listed ahead of Jon Lejiste at free safety. Lejiste started all 12 games last year but missed the spring with an injury and Joyce as really come on strong.
  • In another interesting development, Holtz has decided to shift Sam Barrington from strongside to middle linebacker. He and Mike Lanaris are in a fight for the starting job. Reshard Cliett is listed as the starter on the strong side.
  • Holtz has spoken glowingly about Tevin Mims at defensive end. Mims, who started his college career at Texas, is listed as the starter opposite Ryne Giddins. JuJu Forte has missed some time with injuries.
  • Bobby Eveld and Matt Floyd are still listed as co-backups behind B.J. Daniels.

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigeast/post/_/id/35307/usf-releases-first-depth-chart

• Topic Count:  28
  • Content Count:  247
  • Days Won:  0

Is Dvo really 6'5"? I thought when we were recruiting him he was 6'3". Is it a typo?

• Topic Count:  1,207
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

Is Dvo really 6'5"? I thought when we were recruiting him he was 6'3". Is it a typo?

Kids do grow. He looked that huge in a picture playing against one of our DB's in practice.

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  3,222
  • Days Won:  8

No way d'vo is 6'5" but I wish.

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  8

For our defense-

I love the fact we have Sam Barrington penciled in as the starting Mike and Lanaris as the backup. Last year Lanaris produced decent numbers, but he never made an impact when we needed him to. He is a great run stopper, but never has been a great east to west LB which lead us to a lot of miss tackles and open holes. Reshard Cliett will be a great addition to the starting LB corse, he has increased in strength and size while still keeping his speed intact. I believe out interior DL isn't battled tested yet and still in questioned for me. I would like to see Chandler and Watson show case themselves to be the players we recruited them to be. Sager and porkchop will ground and pound, but lack consistency. Our DEs are solid as well as our safeties. DBs however will be our biggest question mark coming into the 2012 season and will be until they prove otherwise.

For our offense-

I like the move with Popek, he will create more cohesiveness within the OL as a guard since he is a proven veteran and we have a RFs at center.

With RB, D-Meat will be our 20-25 carry guy and we will test the rest based on packages and skill sets. We are loaded at WR and TE, but will only be successful based on BJ's productivity and decision making.

I am sure you all feel the same way as I do in this a being the season that will make our break us. We are too experienced and talented for us not be able to win the BE outright. Skip will need to put the ball in the right hands at the right time and make the right calls. BE Champs or bust! Go Bulls!

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,688
  • Days Won:  8

Our running game may have an interesting dynamic this year with 4 listed in the 2 deep.

• Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  50

This depth chart is really surprising to me. I wonder how much of it is the coaches trying to motivate with competition and how much is rising talent.

In the case of moving Barrington to MLB, I think the coaches don't want to leave Cliett off the field anymore. Just wonder what that does for Lanaris' psyche in his senior year. Same thing with Joyce getting the nod over Lejiste.

Moves I don't know what to think about: Popek at guard and Griffin not listed as a clear no. 1 receiver. I'm thinking these moves are promoting competition/coaches just tinkering. I'm sure we'll see some more moves after the first scrimmage.