• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Hotz talks about OCS

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

That area is a protected wetland I thought? On a side note, Google has their new imagery posted and I found this gem while scrolling through campus:

oJoDa.jpg

That's cool

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

I love that location..... you could easily manipulate the traffic flow, there would be great parking opportunities, and great tent events that could be setup outside the business building

• Topic Count:  90
  • Content Count:  1,524
  • Days Won:  1

I feel like the OCS would be closer to the corner of Maple and Holly. The corner of Sycamore and Holly is where the new IM fields are for students, so the stadium wont be there. The ground level parking lot om the corner of Maple and Holly should be removed and the stadium could be placed there, as I feel there is plenty of room for an OCS at that location. Also, the corner of Maple and Holly is sitting on top of a "hill" so to speak as you can see a lot of the campus looking southwest from that corner, which could be good if we decided on a horeshoe style stadium that would over look the campus (which I hope we decided on a full bowl style stadium).

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,676
  • Days Won:  29

So plenty of parking?

• Topic Count:  90
  • Content Count:  1,524
  • Days Won:  1

Let me add on that the tennis complex will be moved down Sycamore behind the Softball Stadium, so with the removal of the parking lot, Maple and Holly would have plenty of room. If more room is need, Holly can be readjusted to go a little further in to Greek Village where there is a lot of open space close to where the pool is and behind Sig Ep and Sigma Nu

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,737
  • Days Won:  425

If we built a stadium, I can guarantee that USF will explode on the national level.

1240265992468.jpg

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Content Count:  4,442
  • Days Won:  9

Let me add on that the tennis complex will be moved down Sycamore behind the Softball Stadium, so with the removal of the parking lot, Maple and Holly would have plenty of room. If more room is need, Holly can be readjusted to go a little further in to Greek Village where there is a lot of open space close to where the pool is and behind Sig Ep and Sigma Nu

That's always been the plan... the picture is a bit off... it's going directly on top of that parking lot at Maple and Holly.

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

I'm a big fan of an eventual on campus stadium but a few comments.

Skip Holtz seemed way to politically correct in his interview. Feasibility study means a lot of different things to different people. While we all hope this means they have contracted with an outside firm to crunch some real numbers, this could easily be Judy and Doug riding around in a golfcart with a clipboard and tape measure.

He thinks fans are treated to an expceptional experience at RJS. What is he using for his definition of experience? Modern amenities like a club, wide seats, seat backs, and leg room yes. College atmosphere, not at all. He's been around enough programs to see a bland atmosphere. Lets face it, a lot of games can be mistaken for neutral site contests, even if we have the vast majority of fans. RJS is great for the NFL Bucs but not college football. Its covered in bucs colors, to big for our fan base, and the gathering areas in both endzones leads to empty seats and fans more concerned with getting digits then whats going on in the game, this all leads to less fan engagement which does help with a home field advantage. Just seems like he is being PC and rightfully so, he knows RJS is our home for the near future, why knock it.

I do think an OCS will lead to more student interest and not simply because of proximity to campus. Right now the action is 12 miles from campus, it essentially happens in another world. However, when 40-50 thousand fans flood the campus on gameday, its hard not to want to be a part of it. Curiosity eventually will get the best of us. The game becomes the social thing to do. Thats how these other universities engrain new fans. We all know kids who never went to a highschool football game, but came back from UF or FSU rabid football fans.

Lastly I hope they build a stadium that seats about 45,000 - 50,000 with room to expand. There needs to be some sort of premium on tickets to create a buzz. This is used in every industry. Right now RJS is too big, there is no scarcity of tickets, so no urgency to buy them, or become a season ticket holder. You can pick and chose games, and if your buddy offers them to you, you see if there are better options. If however, we always had sellouts or close to it, people would be more inclined to purchase season tickets. Fans would see the scarcity and want it, and place value in the event. Sold Out is a great marketing weapon. A capacity crowd of 50,000 will look much larger then a crowd of 50,000 with 15,000 empty seats, even if the attendance is the same, its these little things that does win some recruits.

Holtz is the epitome of politically correct. Skip has seen his father in the public eye his entire life, and has learned the lessons well. That is one of the biggest reasons USF badly wanted him in the wake of the Leavitt incident. Good or bad, the university wanted a calming presence that would not help USF from a PR standpoint.

Skip knows a segment of the fanbase wants an OCS, so he said a lot about it without saying anything at all. The fans for and against rushing to build an OCS all think he is on their side.

If Skip can get some wins the next few years, he'll have a statue in front of the OCS whenever it is built.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,676
  • Days Won:  29

n26Uol.jpg

Why does our OCS have red seats?

;)

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  2,305
  • Days Won:  6

Why does our OCS have red seats?