• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Bulls primed to move forward after dismal 2011

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  924
  • Days Won:  1

By JOEY JOHNSTON | The Tampa Tribune

Published: July 31, 2012

Updated: July 31, 2012 - 1:50 AM

» Comments | Post a Comment

NEWPORT, R.I. --

Last season is over. The University of South Florida football program has moved on from the 5-7 bowl-less finish, which included a 1-6 mark in the Big East Conference.

As USF coach Skip Holtz and four of his senior players arrived here for the conference's Media Days – Monday night's lighthearted clambake social gives way to today's interview sessions and the league's preseason poll – they spoke about the potential for a Bulls' turnaround.

A worst-to-first turnaround.

Louisville is the Big East's expected media favorite. But USF could be second. It should receive some first-place votes.

"We will be a lot better,'' Bulls senior linebacker Sam Barrington said. "I guarantee you – guarantee you – there will be leadership with this team.''

Barrington's confidence is fueled by the return of 15 starters, including senior quarterback B.J. Daniels, who enters his fourth season at No. 1. Even more than experience, though, intangibles were noticed during spring workouts....

read the rest here

http://www2.tbo.com/sports/usf-bulls/2012/jul/31/1/spsporto1-primed-to-move-forward-ar-447372/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+tbo%2Fbulls+%28TBO+%3E+Bulls%29

• Topic Count:  2,332
  • Content Count:  21,303
  • Days Won:  10

"They are disciplining themselves,'' Smith said this summer. "Once the team takes over the discipline, that's when you win.

"If kids aren't going to (offseason) workouts, the seniors are confronting them and asking, 'Why?' When your players take over, that's when you have a chance to be a great team.''

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  924

"They are disciplining themselves,'' Smith said this summer. "Once the team takes over the discipline, that's when you win.

"If kids aren't going to (offseason) workouts, the seniors are confronting them and asking, 'Why?' When your players take over, that's when you have a chance to be a great team.''

That's all I wanted to hear man

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  2,019
  • Days Won:  2

Awesome

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

I really think that this could be a special year...perhaps the one we have all been waiting on.

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

I really think that this could be a special year...perhaps the one we have all been waiting on.

I sure hope so.

• Topic Count:  9,896
  • Content Count:  66,077
  • Days Won:  172

we will see

sports is about performance on the field

• Topic Count:  483
  • Content Count:  2,923

I sat at the Table with Coach Patrick last year at the kick off luncheon and he spoke confidently about the team winning the Big East and going to the Orange Bowl. I understand that Coaches have to be confident, but, the Bulls did not even come close to last season's objective. I will support the team, however, I'm not drinking the kool aid again.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  312
  • Days Won:  0

I sat at the Table with Coach Patrick last year at the kick off luncheon and he spoke confidently about the team winning the Big East and going to the Orange Bowl. I understand that Coaches have to be confident, but, the Bulls did not even come close to last season's objective. I will support the team, however, I'm not drinking the kool aid again.

This