• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Temple Might Benefit from NCAA Announcement

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Penn State is going to be crippled, but I really don't forsee current players flocking to Pitt or Temple. Pitt's a hated rival and Temple is a cess pool. THe Michigans and Ohio States of the world stand a much better chance of improving than Pitt or Temple.

Sure over time Pitt or Temple will get a few better players here or there, but they wont become Penn State overnight, or ever.

True, but I personally think most of the players that transfer will go outside of the B10. Maybe some of the rivalries that exist there would preclude PSU players from joining up with rival schools?

I think schools in the ACC are the ones most likely to benefit here. JMHO.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

I'm sure temple and pitt will be rolling in the recruits and transfers now!!

LOL that is so ridiculous.

I'm sure a kid would rather play in front of 25k fans in philly or 35k fans in pittsburgh than 110k fans in happy valley.

just so they can go to the weedeater bowl in december.

I'm sure the facilities at temple and pitt will now be much nicer than those at psu. same with the amenities, etc. this is so laughable. like an 18 year old kid cares about how "storied" a program is considered.

Are you really that naive to think that plays NO factor in where a recruit wants to go to school and play football? REALLY?

I'm pretty sure you can't take away a programs past. whether or not you take it out of the record books.

pitt and temple will not be considered more"storied" than psu now as someone suggested.

Pretty sure kids care about competing for championships and playing in post seasons...

I'm also sure they care about having a scholarship. By 2014 psu needs to be down to 65.

tell that to USC recruits. hasn't slowed them down a bit.

65 scholarships is still enough to field almost 3 complete offensive and defensive teams. you're essentially eliminating a programs 4th stringers.

Penn State is going to be crippled, but I really don't forsee current players flocking to Pitt or Temple. Pitt's a hated rival and Temple is a cess pool. THe Michigans and Ohio States of the world stand a much better chance of improving than Pitt or Temple.

Sure over time Pitt or Temple will get a few better players here or there, but they wont become Penn State overnight, or ever.

michigan and ohio state get just about any recruit they want now. penn state wasn't out recruiting them even before this scandal. hell penn state finished around 5 or 6 in the big ten every year for recruiting.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,736
  • Days Won:  425

They're going to be hurting for 4 or 5 years but there's no way they're destroyed with the alumni base and tradition they've got ...

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

I'm sure a kid would rather play in front of 25k fans in philly or 35k fans in pittsburgh than 110k fans in happy valley.

I'm sure the facilities at temple and pitt will now be much nicer than those at psu. same with the amenities, etc. this is so laughable. like an 18 year old kid cares about how "storied" a program is considered.

Are you really that naive to think that plays NO factor in where a recruit wants to go to school and play football? REALLY?

I'm pretty sure you can't take away a programs past. whether or not you take it out of the record books.

pitt and temple will not be considered more"storied" than psu now as someone suggested.

I don't know why you're so hung up on Pitt and Temple? Just because they are the other BCS teams in PA? Everyone knows they are JV teams compared to what PSU was. Chances are recruits to PSU and current players will have far better options than those teams to move to.

I guess you're so hung up on those teams because they're pretty much the only ones that reinforce your point. Think about the recruits going to Ohio State or Maryland, Virginia, and your argument doesn't really hold up that well.

I don't know why you're so hung up on Pitt and Temple? Just because they are the other BCS teams in PA? Everyone knows they are JV teams compared to what PSU was. Chances are recruits to PSU and current players will have far better options than those teams to move to.

I guess you're so hung up on those teams because they're pretty much the only ones that reinforce your point. Think about the recruits going to Ohio State or Maryland, Virginia, and your argument doesn't really hold up that well.

correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the post's title is "Temple might benefit from...." and I also believe the op satetd something specifically about opitt and temple benefiting in the first post.

no offense but recruits already choose ohio state over penn state.

funny you should mention maryland. they had 24 kids transfer in the 14 months after randy edsall took over.

Edited by Bull94

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Temple will benefit slightly, by slightly I mean they'll get one or two guys, max.

• Topic Count:  423
  • Content Count:  7,693
  • Days Won:  2

Believe it or not mystique, history, and reputation does factor into recruiting. Also why would a top to mediocre recruit choose to play for a school that will not be able to go to a bowl game, much less win a conference title?

Mark my words, both Pitt and Temple are going to make out like bandits. Right now I guarantee you that nearly all of the coaches and players are right now shopping themselves around to get out of PSU.

At this pace PSU will have to stock its team with students like Miami and SMU did when they got handed the death penalty.

Edited by Bubba Bull

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,675
  • Days Won:  29

About half of Penn St's future recruits would have been preferred walk-ons there.

I am Sure much of the $60M lost will be recovered from the football budget, mostly from recruiting. Think much of their recruiting trips will be by car