• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

ESPN will pay $80M a year for Rose Bowl

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  215
  • Content Count:  1,777
  • Days Won:  0

the gap is not a surprise

what is a surprise is the level of incompetence from presidents,athletic directors and their athletic departments of the the big east for allowing this to happen

have nots need to form their own league as they cannot compete with haves

it is absurd to keep pretending

it would be much better for have nots to compete at the level they are at

Thank you - I've been saying this for a while now.

**** big east front office. we should have signed an $80M deal with the rose bowl years ago! what are they doing!

anybody who thinks the big east has any leverage when it comes to bowls and tv contracts is delusional.

we would lose a ton of money by splitting off. would be dumb beyond belief. we still get a cut of playoff money.

So using that logic how long should the BE stay in the backwash of the other Major conferences (SEC, ACC, BIG 12, PAC 12, BIG 10)?

The BE is obviously not a power broker in the BCS / Championship Series conversation. So if they want to get the appropriate level of attention it is better suited for them to take their Regular season to another network other than Disney/ESPN.

Edited by Blackice12

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Completely disagree. Look at the MWC. It is invisible. Going exclusively to NBC hurt them more than they'll ever admit.

I'm not saying don't talk to those networks, sign 1st tiers rights with them I the deal is worth it, but we need some presence on ESPN.

Other than Thursday or Friday night games, when has any BE game been in prime time on ESPN? I can remember Auburn/USF Saturday night five years ago and beyond that I am willing to hear from other people.

ESPN has pushed BE football to side and taken it out of the lime light. Since ESPN pays the big bucks to the other conferences they have to push them out front to increase advertising dollars.

There is certain amount of leverage that Comcast (The largest US Cable Provider) which happens to own NBC Universal can do to position the product.

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

what is a surprise is the level of incompetence from presidents,athletic directors and their athletic departments of the the big east for allowing this to happen

**** big east front office. we should have signed an $80M deal with the rose bowl years ago! what are they doing!

anybody who thinks the big east has any leverage when it comes to bowls and tv contracts is delusional.

we would lose a ton of money by splitting off. would be dumb beyond belief. we still get a cut of playoff money.

So using that logic how long should the BE stay in the backwash of the other Major conferences (SEC, ACC, BIG 12, PAC 12, BIG 10)?

The BE is obviously not a power broker in the BCS / Championship Series conversation. So if they want to get the appropriate level of attention it is better suited for them to take their Regular season to another network other than Disney/ESPN.

smazza wasn't talking about breaking off from espn and neither was I. he thinks the lower teams should break off from the top tier teams and form a playoff similar to what division 2 already has. he somehow thinks this will make the lower level teams more powerful and more money. he is completely wrong. it will make them just like division2. a league that nobody really cares about.the top tier teams would love it. they wouldn't have to share their money anymore and they avoided a lawsuit.

I think going with NBC could be hugely beneficial if they are willing to make the investment. we will never get primetime on espn anymore. they will stick us on wednesday nights.or espn 3 at noon. if NBC had a national game of the week leading into ND telecast and really went after espn with their sports channel(BE basketball is how espn got started) then I think it would work.

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

The worst part is that ESPN is pulling all the strings.

THE one with the money usually does

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

smazza wasn't talking about breaking off from espn and neither was I. he thinks the lower teams should break off from the top tier teams and form a playoff similar to what division 2 already has. he somehow thinks this will make the lower level teams more powerful and more money. he is completely wrong. it will make them just like division2. a league that nobody really cares about.the top tier teams would love it. they wouldn't have to share their money anymore and they avoided a lawsuit.

I think going with NBC could be hugely beneficial if they are willing to make the investment. we will never get primetime on espn anymore. they will stick us on wednesday nights.or espn 3 at noon. if NBC had a national game of the week leading into ND telecast and really went after espn with their sports channel(BE basketball is how espn got started) then I think it would work.

absolutely

non big 5 should form a new league with new progressive rules

pay the players

non big 5 can never compete in this system

THEY NEED THEIR OWN SYSTEM where they have unique rules and 16 team playoff

Edited by smazza

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

absolutely

non big 5 should form a new league with new progressive rules

pay the players

non big 5 can never compete in this system

THEY NEED THEIR OWN SYSTEM where they have unique rules and 16 team playoff

the big 5 would laugh all the way to the bank. no more sharing revenues.

we would be closer to division 2 than we would be to big 5.

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

I think Mark Cuban could pull this off

I do not think this is a matter of breaking away from the established systems. In the past alterantive leagues have not done so well (XFL and USFL to the NFL) or they have folded into the larger more established organizations (WCW -> WWE or even ABA -> NBA).

College football is not a "professional" {I use that loosely} and potential players should not have the choose between which league to join and there should be every opporunity for the various teams to play each other.

With that said the Big East has a marketing problem. First they need someone in place that can provide the confidence to schools, administrators, coaches, players, alumni and the media that the league is going in the right direction. Once that level of assurance is established which ever network carries the BE should provide the conduit to make that vision become a reality.

• Topic Count:  170
  • Content Count:  5,722
  • Days Won:  8

So let me get something straight.. if Notre Dame makes it to the Orange Bowl, do they get 50% of the OB media revenue?