• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Grade Woolard's job as AD

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  355
  • Content Count:  4,741
  • Days Won:  3

in terms of success/dollars spent I say he's doing a hella great job. Begin bit__ing about $, by a certain poster in...3...2...1

http://www.bizjourna...y-spend-on.html

so one Women's Golf conference title for $43.4M.

you sure do have a different definition of success/dollars spent than I do.

he didn't come out of pocket one flat dime for the facilties. they would have been built with or without him.

Holy crap, BBM!!! Where did you get your crystal ball? I need to go get one of those right now ... :D

That was truly scary.

The only explanation I ccan think of is that BBM = B94...

Not true at all. :nope:

I'm married to an accountant so I wouldn't ever used the word fungible when it is abundantly clear that it does not apply. I have many personalities, but B94 isn't one of them. I'm not smart enough to pull that off. :D

your wife is an accountant. not sure how that means you should understand the idea that money is fungible. I guess if your dad was an airline pilot then we should expect that you know how to land a plane. read up on the subject.

Fungibility

The state of being interchangeable. For example, money has fungibility because there is no difference between one dollar and another dollar.

http://financial-dic...ry.com/Fungible

http://en.wikipedia....iki/Fungibility

Different Source, Different Purpose

Another aspect of mental accounting is that people also treat money differently depending on its source. For example, people tend to spend a lot more "found" money, such as tax returns and work bonuses and gifts, compared to a similar amount of money that is normally expected, such as from their paychecks. This represents another instance of how mental accounting can cause illogical use of money.

Learn how to turn $1k to $10k with Penny Stocks!

Logically speaking, money should be interchangeable, regardless of its origin. Treating money differently because it comes from a different source violates that logical premise. Where the money came from should not be a factor in how much of it you spend - regardless of the money's source, spending it will represent a drop in your overall wealth.

Read more: http://www.investope...p#ixzz1wSYv7GPK

Avoiding Mental Accounting

The key point to consider for mental accounting is that money is fungible; regardless of its origins or intended use, all money is the same. You can cut down on frivolous spending of "found" money, by realizing that "found" money is no different than money that you earned by working.

As an extension of money being fungible, realize that saving money in a low- or no-interest account is fruitless if you still have outstanding debt. In most cases, the interest on your debt will erode any interest that you can earn in most savings accounts. While having savings is important, sometimes it makes more sense to forgo your savings in order to pay off debt.

Definitions right, use wrong.

if you don't know the difference bewteen somone explaing how to fly a plane and someone explaining accounting, then it's not a surprise that you were using the term in a conpletely wrong way.

Your basic premise that tax money was being used to pay coaches salaries. If the money was fungible in this instance then it would have to have been paid back therefore making your complete argument moot. Either you used the word wrong, or you are full of......

i understand that you ae not knowledgable when it comes to accounting and the idea that money is fungible. there really is no need to have this discussion again.

BTW Bull by Marriage I wouldn't expect anyone who watches cartoons and has some odd obsession with judy genshaft(weird that you would post on a public message board that you notice her tail light is out or that she ignores you at sporting events) to understand the idea that money is fungible. "

This is it for me on the subject. I have a B.S. in Finance. I analyze financial statements for a living. I have a far greater understanding of the concept of fungibility of money than a man who is married to an accountant. Nothing has to be paid back. I'm not even sure what you mean by that. If someone uses cash to pay for a couch while they have outstanding credit card debt then they are essentially charging that couch to their credit card(i.e. the cash that could have been used to pay off credit is used to buy the couch: they are interchangeable). If a school takes taxpayer money and pays a coach over $1M then that money is essentially paid by the taxpayers. no matter what imaginary bank account you think it comes from. Like I said read up on the subject in the links provided. Claiming you are knowledgable on a subject because your wife is an accountant(which by the way has little to do with the subject:it's finance related) is like derek jeter's cousin saying he can hit a major league curveball.

here is the link again on behavioral finance and the fungibility of money.

Key Concept No.2: Mental Accounting

Mental accounting refers to the tendency for people to separate their money into separate accounts based on a variety of subjective criteria, like the source of the money and intent for each account. According to the theory, individuals assign different functions to each asset group, which has an often irrational and detrimental effect on their consumption decisions and other behaviors.

Although many people use mental accounting, they may not realize how illogical this line of thinking really is. For example, people often have a special "money jar" or fund set aside for a vacation or a new home, while still carrying substantial credit card debt. (For more insight, see Digging Out Of Personal Debt.)

Good for you,I'm proud that you've admitted that your tax money being spent on atheltics argument is 100% spot on wrong. If you truly analyze financial statements, why don't you use a piblic information request to analyze USF's statements and prove that tax money is being used to pay coaches salaries? Part of your degree is correct, and it's not the finance part. My wife has a B.A. in Finance AND an Accounting degree. I hope to God that I never have to rely on you to analyze a financial statement.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

in terms of success/dollars spent I say he's doing a hella great job. Begin bit__ing about $, by a certain poster in...3...2...1

he didn't come out of pocket one flat dime for the facilties. they would have been built with or without him.

Holy crap, BBM!!! Where did you get your crystal ball? I need to go get one of those right now ... :D

That was truly scary.

I'm married to an accountant so I wouldn't ever used the word fungible when it is abundantly clear that it does not apply. I have many personalities, but B94 isn't one of them. I'm not smart enough to pull that off. :D

your wife is an accountant. not sure how that means you should understand the idea that money is fungible. I guess if your dad was an airline pilot then we should expect that you know how to land a plane. read up on the subject.

Fungibility

The state of being interchangeable. For example, money has fungibility because there is no difference between one dollar and another dollar.

Another aspect of mental accounting is that people also treat money differently depending on its source. For example, people tend to spend a lot more "found" money, such as tax returns and work bonuses and gifts, compared to a similar amount of money that is normally expected, such as from their paychecks. This represents another instance of how mental accounting can cause illogical use of money.

Logically speaking, money should be interchangeable, regardless of its origin. Treating money differently because it comes from a different source violates that logical premise. Where the money came from should not be a factor in how much of it you spend - regardless of the money's source, spending it will represent a drop in your overall wealth.

The key point to consider for mental accounting is that money is fungible; regardless of its origins or intended use, all money is the same. You can cut down on frivolous spending of "found" money, by realizing that "found" money is no different than money that you earned by working.

As an extension of money being fungible, realize that saving money in a low- or no-interest account is fruitless if you still have outstanding debt. In most cases, the interest on your debt will erode any interest that you can earn in most savings accounts. While having savings is important, sometimes it makes more sense to forgo your savings in order to pay off debt.

if you don't know the difference bewteen somone explaing how to fly a plane and someone explaining accounting, then it's not a surprise that you were using the term in a conpletely wrong way.

Your basic premise that tax money was being used to pay coaches salaries. If the money was fungible in this instance then it would have to have been paid back therefore making your complete argument moot. Either you used the word wrong, or you are full of......

i understand that you ae not knowledgable when it comes to accounting and the idea that money is fungible. there really is no need to have this discussion again.

BTW Bull by Marriage I wouldn't expect anyone who watches cartoons and has some odd obsession with judy genshaft(weird that you would post on a public message board that you notice her tail light is out or that she ignores you at sporting events) to understand the idea that money is fungible. "

This is it for me on the subject. I have a B.S. in Finance. I analyze financial statements for a living. I have a far greater understanding of the concept of fungibility of money than a man who is married to an accountant. Nothing has to be paid back. I'm not even sure what you mean by that. If someone uses cash to pay for a couch while they have outstanding credit card debt then they are essentially charging that couch to their credit card(i.e. the cash that could have been used to pay off credit is used to buy the couch: they are interchangeable). If a school takes taxpayer money and pays a coach over $1M then that money is essentially paid by the taxpayers. no matter what imaginary bank account you think it comes from. Like I said read up on the subject in the links provided. Claiming you are knowledgable on a subject because your wife is an accountant(which by the way has little to do with the subject:it's finance related) is like derek jeter's cousin saying he can hit a major league curveball.

Mental accounting refers to the tendency for people to separate their money into separate accounts based on a variety of subjective criteria, like the source of the money and intent for each account. According to the theory, individuals assign different functions to each asset group, which has an often irrational and detrimental effect on their consumption decisions and other behaviors.

Although many people use mental accounting, they may not realize how illogical this line of thinking really is. For example, people often have a special "money jar" or fund set aside for a vacation or a new home, while still carrying substantial credit card debt. (For more insight, see Digging Out Of Personal Debt.)

Good for you,I'm proud that you've admitted that your tax money being spent on atheltics argument is 100% spot on wrong. If you truly analyze financial statements, why don't you use a piblic information request to analyze USF's statements and prove that tax money is being used to pay coaches salaries? Part of your degree is correct, and it's not the finance part. My wife has a B.A. in Finance AND an Accounting degree. I hope to God that I never have to rely on you to analyze a financial statement.

ask your wife if money is fungible.

now ask her if USF athletic department is part of the university of south florida.

now ask her if USF gets taxpayer dollars.

now ask her if USF cut expenses by say $1.8M if that same amount could be returned to taxpayers.

let me know if she answers yes to all those statements.

thanks

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  355
  • Content Count:  4,741
  • Days Won:  3

Do tax dollars got to athletics? Simple question, either yes or no. It's your assertion that they do, so prove it.

• Topic Count:  555
  • Content Count:  14,415
  • Days Won:  13

Providing the venue and trying to compete with history rich universities with endowments in the billions for quality coaching staffs you can't pay anywhere near the same salary is one thing. Making sure each coach personally brings into their sport someone who can guarantee a national championship in that sport is something else. First off these kids get offers from those schools that are on TV 24/7, who you see everyone, everywhere wearing their gear. Competing with that usually means you are getting those that don't have the talent to be a starter now or in the near future at those other institutions. I think some of the expectations on here are outlandish for a relatively young university that is not only competing against 150 year old Tier 1 schools regionally for students but against a state school system biased toward UF and FSU.

nobody said anything about national championships. we won one conference championship this year in women's tennis.

there is no reason why the largest public university in the big east shouldn't be able to compete with mostly small private schools.

tennis, golf, baseball, soccer, track and field. these are outdoor sports where our athletes can train year round while others are buried in snow.

we won women's tennis compared to another public university in a predominantly private conference, UofL, that won regular season titles in softball, baseball and volleyball while winning big east championships in women's swimming,men's basketball, men's tennins, women's track and field, and softball.

Here we go with perception. Guess what. Size and location mean squat in athletics. Having a successful program over a period of time is going to attract a better athlete than climate in most situations. UofL's baseball team has had success for years, their basketball program is legendary. Their volleyball program has a .647 w/l record since 1975 with 16 conference championships. Their softball team has been in the NCAA tournament 7 times in 12 years. Oh and check this out.

Fan Support

Team National Attendance Rank Men's Basketball 3rd [13][14] Women's Field Hockey 7th [15] Men's Soccer 17th [16] Women's basketball 25th [17] Volleyball 30th [18]

So size really isn't much of a help when you are competing with an established top program that has a highly supportive local fan base. Woolard is laying a foundation though, but looking at a school like Louisville and comparing attendance and location, thinking USF should be dominating overlooks the fact that they have been investing and nurturing their programs for much longer and live in a an area where the locals actually come out and support their teams.

And while USF has been around since the 50s, how many decades went by before there was a president in place that truly supported athletics and tried to invest in the various programs to the extent was needed for success on a national level?

you missed the point. USF is in a conference with a bunch of tiny private schools. I'm not saying we should have UofL's success but there is no reason why we shouldn't be right behind them. we have been in their conference since the early 90's.

USF got into the Big East in 2005. Before that CUSA, before that the Sun Belt. It isn't the tiny private schools USF is losing most of the Big East championships to, its the larger schools. Also remember that Notre Dame, the largest Catholic university in the US, is a member of the Big East in all sports but football along with Georgetown and Villanova which have traditions of excellence in college athletics going back for a century. Size doesn't matter. I found that out years ago watching men's BB. Its not quantity, its quality.

http://www.bigeast.org/Championships/20112012.aspx

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

"size doesn't matter"

Tell that to her.....

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,501
  • Days Won:  0

"size doesn't matter"

Tell that to her.....

LOl I was waiting for that response.

That was truly scary.

Fungibility

I have worked in both fields for years and I gotta tell ya that finance is alot more fun because you get to make stuff up - ie see rate swaps - then after finance guys make stuff up then the accountants have to figure out what it really is ? current - deferred - asset - potential liability. Then the sales guys come in and tell everyone what it really is and the finance guy sets up a new spread sheet to track and analyze it and the accountant makes up a new rule on how to report it. MORAL: BE THE SALES GUYS.

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

"size doesn't matter"

Tell that to her.....

Worst part of it is that out of all of the conversations going on.... that is what I pulled away with.. I blame TV and readily accessible and free internet porn

• Topic Count:  555
  • Content Count:  14,415
  • Days Won:  13

"size doesn't matter"

Tell that to her.....

Its not the size of the wave, its the motion of the ocean.

"size doesn't matter"

Tell that to her.....

Worst part of it is that out of all of the conversations going on.... that is what I pulled away with.. I blame TV and readily accessible and free internet porn

Let me know if this link works - If anyone has played WOW you will love it even if you haven't its freaken hilarious

Edited by dabull80