• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

S BIEN

Guest Harvey Jones

Guest Turkey Shizzler

two years ago cann was very highly rated. not anymore.

he is No. 21 in florida? that is nothing special. ucf material.

mr. mccullum's recruiting is not good. maybe cann will pan out (we can only hope), but the recruiting experts think he will be a ho-hum college player by big east standards. he is not top 100 according to the respected national service scout.com, and he is not top 150 according to the respected national service rivals.com

according to cann, pitt and syracuse made last ditch efforts to sign him. oh really? then why didn't either offer a scholarship or ask him to visit their school? kids getting recruited say a lot of things.

harvey jones, you are right on for criticizing the comment that ripped baxter, saying he had the heart of a puppet. i wonder if s. bien, or any of us, would have had the heart to save those two drowning passengers that night. that aside, baxter was a rock-solid player for usf his junior year, a stud, durable and reliable. so on and off the court he proved himself. that comment was shameful and totally unwarranted.

it's not about greenie. he did his thing and left. it's about mr. mccullum. his recruiting is not cutting it. check the court the next time usf plays for all the evidence. mr. mccullum's recruits are doing very very little this season, and there is little reason for optimism for the next two years. other than the blind optimism of always thinking your school will do well. well take the blinders off.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  721
  • Content Count:  6,754
  • Days Won:  19

The heart of a puppet... I'm wouldn't call Jimmy that... he did quit on the team though (whether RMC ran him off or not, Jimmy quit), which is like pulling a Glen Gauntt.

Jimmy pulling those people from the car... I think each and everyone of us would have done the same thing in that situation (I know everyone makes a big deal about it being heroic... but you're not telling me if the same situation arised, you wouldn't have done the same act). I attribute that to good parents raising a child to do the right thing. It's second nature to help someone in need (and if not, you're a selfish bastard in my opinion).

Jimmy got press because he was an athlete and he performed a selfless act that had to be done. I would say 9 out of 10 people would have done the same thing. It was a matter of being at the right place at the right time. Kudos for Jimmy for doing the right thing... but quitting on your team is inexcusable when you are a starter and they look up to you.

• Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  4,517
  • Days Won:  0

two years ago cann was very highly rated. not anymore.

he is No. 21 in florida? that is nothing special. ucf material.

mr. mccullum's recruiting is not good. maybe cann will pan out (we can only hope), but the recruiting experts think he will be a ho-hum college player by big east standards. he is not top 100 according to the respected national service scout.com, and he is not top 150 according to the respected national service rivals.com

according to cann, pitt and syracuse made last ditch efforts to sign him. oh really? then why didn't either offer a scholarship or ask him to visit their school? kids getting recruited say a lot of things.

harvey jones, you are right on for criticizing the comment that ripped baxter, saying he had the heart of a puppet. i wonder if s. bien, or any of us, would have had the heart to save those two drowning passengers that night. that aside, baxter was a rock-solid player for usf his junior year, a stud, durable and reliable. so on and off the court he proved himself. that comment was shameful and totally unwarranted.

it's not about greenie. he did his thing and left. it's about mr. mccullum. his recruiting is not cutting it. check the court the next time usf plays for all the evidence. mr. mccullum's recruits are doing very very little this season, and there is little reason for optimism for the next two years. other than the blind optimism of always thinking your school will do well. well take the blinders off.

chicken_little_3.gif

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

Turkey,

Now that you have uncovered our problem (CRM's recruiting) how do you suppose we fix it?

Do you honestly think it is easy to recruit to USF? "Hey kid, I know you are a top 100 b-baller why not come play for me in a decrepit arena, in front of 900 silent fans, and get your head handed to you by the top teams in the BE."

Yeah I could see kids jumping at the chance!!

The man isn't even paid as much as some assistants in the league!! I think the guy took a no win job. Odds are he will never be able to compete in the BE even though all the fans are delusional and think he should be bringing in McDonald's All Americans. Why do you think the assistant from Florida didn't want to touch this job? Who do you think we could bring in that would want to be paid lower than half of all D-1 coaches, try to recruit against the top conference in all of basketball, and have his team play in a decrepit arena in front of 900 pissed off fans against some of the top teams in the country? Not many. I for one am willing to give the guy a chance. After all basketball is a team sport and it takes time to build a "team".

How many top high school players would even consider USF regardless of who our coach is?

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  1,528
  • Days Won:  0

COuld be worse....we could recruit McDonald's All-American talent and then do nothing with it......mmm, Gators?

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

Maybe Cann is lying about Syracuse... maybe he isn't... i'm going with he isn't, as i have no reason to not believe him.  

If syracuse and pitt made late pushes, and west virginia and vatech both wanted him... i'd say he is clearly big east caliber.

His knee is a question mark, but so was Marlyn's, twice.  He's come back from a devastating injury to help lead his 5A team to a 20-2 record, scoring over 20 numerous times.  His knee is showing great progress and its obvious he wants to play in mac's system... and that is the most important part.  He wants to be part of our team.  That is how you build a successful program... recruit team players, preferably with loads of talent, which Cann fits that mold.  

Will he pan out?  I don't know, but i sure think so.

• Topic Count:  135
  • Content Count:  3,809
  • Days Won:  4

The Sun Dome isn't a decrepit arena.  That's no excuse for not getting recruits.  Our former coach recruited pretty well, though his floor leadership was questionable.  

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

beastie,

I'd be willing to bet the Sundome ranks near the bottom when comparing BE facilities. How about our attendance? Even in Greenie's heyday it probably doesn't measure up with the bottom of the BE numbers.

How many top 150 recruits did Greenburg bring in while he was here? And more importantly what did he do with them? The bottom 5 of the top 150 according to rivals are headed to UCLA, Rutgers, Wake Forest, Gonzaga, and Alabama. Do you honestly believe that CRM should be able to recruit against these basketball rich schools?

Greenburg left. Some of you need to get over it. He makes $170k + incentives more than CRM. Break out your checkbook and bring your savior back. I think he gave us everything he had. Horrible floor coach- decent recruiter.

We brought in one of the top coaches from a lesser conference and are paying him peanuts to do the impossible. He is much better at getting the talent out of team players.I think he will be able to build a "team" with time.

Look at how many probowlers there are on the NE Pats. Not a lot of superstars there but they have a great coaching philosophy that preaches team first. It took Belichick some time but he built a winner. I bet the Browns wish they still had him as a head coach. Maybe some of you should be more realistic with your expectations.

http://rivalshoops.rivals.com/viewrank.asp?SID=910&Year=2005&ra_key=768

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketball/college/news/2003/05/30/bkb_coaching_salaries/

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

Greenburg left. Some of you need to get over it. He makes $170k + incentives more than CRM. Break out your checkbook and bring your savior back. I think he gave us everything he had. Horrible floor coach- decent recruiter.

We brought in one of the top coaches from a lesser conference and are paying him peanuts to do the impossible. He is much better at getting the talent out of team players.I think he will be able to build a "team" with time.

Amen to that! To those on the CRMc stinks bandwagon, stop your whining, go to the games, support financially, and support USF (don't tear it down). We will get there.

• Topic Count:  135
  • Content Count:  3,809
  • Days Won:  4

beastie,

I'd be willing to bet the Sundome ranks near the bottom when comparing BE facilities. How about our attendance? Even in Greenie's heyday it probably doesn't measure up with the bottom of the BE numbers.

How many top 150 recruits did Greenburg bring in while he was here? And more importantly what did he do with them? The bottom 5 of the top 150 according to rivals are headed to UCLA, Rutgers, Wake Forest, Gonzaga, and Alabama. Do you honestly believe that CRM should be able to recruit against these basketball rich schools?

Look at how many probowlers there are on the NE Pats. Not a lot of superstars there but they have a great coaching philosophy that preaches team first. It took Belichick some time but he built a winner. I bet the Browns wish they still had him as a head coach. Maybe some of you should be more realistic with your expectations.

http://rivalshoops.rivals.com/viewrank.asp?SID=910&Year=2005&ra_key=768

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketball/college/news/2003/05/30/bkb_coaching_salaries/

It is not unrealistic to expect more than 4 conference wins in 2 seasons and better than 12 points in a HALF of D1 college basketball.  If that is good enough for you try raising your expectations.