• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

The Lost Season

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  74,737
  • Days Won:  425

I think we took many steps back in last couple years

I don't think we took any steps back last year considering the circumstances .... This year we took enough for both, though.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

the crowds are only getting smaller while our HC salary gets bigger. eventually we won't be able to continue that trend.

woolard should be fired for making such a bad deal

holtz was way over paid from the start

holtz should get 2 more years to see if he is worthy of usf

• Group:  Admin
  • Content Count:  97,088
  • Days Won:  469

I don't think we took any steps back last year considering the circumstances .... This year we took enough for both, though.

I don't mean from a W/L perspective. More from being relavant not only nationally, but in our own state. Momentum lost on unprecedented rise. General lack of interest it seems. That could just be a feeling I have derived from afar. We were a darling, now we're just another mid major operation.

I don't mean from a W/L perspective. More from being relavant not only nationally, but in our own state. Momentum lost on unprecedented rise. General lack of interest it seems. That could just be a feeling I have derived from afar. We were a darling, now we're just another mid major operation.

I don't think last year had any effect on that one way or another mainly because I'm not sure where that relevancy was at the beginning of last year.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  22,723
  • Days Won:  109

Weren't we only really a "darling" for about 2 weeks in 2007? Don't think this year's dropoff hurts us nationally since there really wasn't a lot of momentum to lose. Another year like this and recruiting will suffer. I think most of this year's recruits hold (OK I'm hoping)

Well, I think for those that followed from the beginning it was a considered a meteoric rise. There was a lot of pride in the program for the quick strides. Maybe there still is and I don't see it.

There were tons of news stories and other programs looking to emulate what South Florida did.

I don't know if that is the case anymore. Maybe. I don't see it. Seems like it's more just ho-hum... but that's what I get watching TV and reading the internet. The focus seems to have shifted to the "Holtz new era", and the new era just hasn't turned out too good yet. The "new era" thing was just plain stupid, Holtz or not.

• Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

Oh my gosh!

The sky is falling!

One losing season and everyone starts crying.

Look up the records of EVERY so-called national powerhouse team. They've all had at least one losing season in the last 20.

Get over it and support the team.

What a pathetic group. And I thought there were fans on this board.

:D

We're not a national powerhouse! LOL. Wrong program DB.

Settle down. Take a deep breath. I think the context of the discussion is more than just having a crappy season and winning one Big East game. We'll do better next year, I think most agree.

If you can't handle the discussion (which moderates should positively support) than don't engage.

Well, I think for those that followed from the beginning it was a considered a meteoric rise. There was a lot of pride in the program for the quick strides. Maybe there still is and I don't see it.

There were tons of news stories and other programs looking to emulate what South Florida did.

I don't know if that is the case anymore. Maybe. I don't see it. Seems like it's more just ho-hum... but that's what I get watching TV and reading the internet. The focus seems to have shifted to the "Holtz new era", and the new era just hasn't turned out too good yet. The "new era" thing was just plain stupid, Holtz or not.

It's ho-hum from the media because of the continual failure to capitalize on early season successes becoming an MO .. and ho-hum from a good part of our fanbase because of their false expectations created by the early 2007 pizazz ...

• Content Count:  1,011
  • Days Won:  2

emotions are high now that the season is over and it ended on a sour note. to proclaim the death of the program at this point is just a knee-jerk reaction.

we never sold out every game, even during our best seasons. in fact, looking at GoUSFBulls.com attendance numbers, we've only had 3 sellouts of RayJay in our entire history: WVU in '07, which can be credited to both that special season and to WVU's well-traveled fanbase; Miami in '09, which brought in Miami's fanbase; and UCF in '07, another special season/opponent fanbase game.

at that link u can also look at attendance trends... even AFTER our first bowl season and first season in the Big East, our attendance dropped from 2005 to 2006. even after our wretched 2-5 Big East record in 2008, our attendance still increased in 2009.

seriously, this football program is 15 seasons old. it isn't dead after one losing season in a BCS conference. to expect an upward trajectory in every single season is simply not realistic. to expect no growing pains or bumps in the road as this program ages is not realistic. to declare us on the brink of death after a 5-7 season is raw emotionalism.

consecutive losing seasons kill programs, and to think we won't have winning seasons again is unfounded. Skip had 8 wins last year. we were competitive in every game but ONE this year with a very young and inexperienced team. let that youth and inexperience become veteran, experienced leadership and those L's become W's.

Agree with pretty much everything you said.

I think everyone (including me) is too disappointed in this season to think rationally.

We SHOULD see an improvement next year, both in player development and in our win column. Every program has down years, we have a lot to look forward to next year.

Skip has been recruiting well. There is hope for the future. Although it will be interesting to see who our QB is in 2013.

As upset as I was at the WVU game Thursday night, missing a bowl could motivate both the team and the coaches next year.

Archived