• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

What is the problem with recruiting players at South Florida

Bulls 1

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  551
  • Days Won:  1

In basketball we can’t recruit. In football (Big East rankings per Rivals), 2010 we were 5th, 2011 we dropped to 6th and even UCF out recruited us last year. So far this year we are 5th again.

Can someone please explain why a player would rather go to a Cincinnati, Louisville, and UCF rather than South Florida?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  551

No I don't think the fan base determines the choise of a recruit. It's got to be facilities, coaches, School academics etc. We can still put 45,000 in the stands

• Content Count:  260
  • Days Won:  0

No I don't think the fan base determines the choise of a recruit. It's got to be facilities, coaches, School academics etc. We can still put 45,000 in the stands

45k? Big flipping deal. If you don't think recruits care about the atmosphere you're crazy. FSU had 75k for Charleston Southern, UF had 85k for Furman, Lville had 51k for Pitt.

It's sorry to say, but what does USF have to offer that other schools don't other than playing time?

• Content Count:  5,881
  • Days Won:  7

45k? Big flipping deal. If you don't think recruits care about the atmosphere you're crazy. FSU had 75k for Charleston Southern, UF had 85k for Furman, Lville had 51k for Pitt.

It's sorry to say, but what does USF have to offer that other schools don't other than playing time?

If you think atmosphere is the sole criteria for school selection of a recruit you are flat out dumb. Miami ranks in the top 10 yearly in recruiting and look at their empty stadium home game after home game, so don't try to act like you know what goes through recruits minds because most likely you have NEVER been in their shoes.

• Content Count:  260

If you think atmosphere is the sole criteria for school selection of a recruit you are flat out dumb. Miami ranks in the top 10 yearly in recruiting and look at their empty stadium home game after home game, so don't try to act like you know what goes through recruits minds because most likely you have NEVER been in their shoes.

Please show me where I said it was the sole criteria. I was responding to Bulls1's response saying the fan base has nothing to do with a recruits decision.

• Content Count:  511

Uhhhh there is instability with the school the past two seasons. Last year we pulled an 8-5 season ouf of our a$$. This year we are pi$$ing all over ourselves. That is the problem with us. Until we create something positive around our program, we will continue to lose prospects. It's that simple. When we announce an OCS, that will help create a positve buzz. not many players want to take a 20-25 minute bus ride from campus to play football. They want to interact with the students and alumni base on their walk from the athletic building/dorms to the stadium. It is a tradition that most schools have. We have never done this for our team.

• Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

Selling kids on USF is not easy but it certainly is not impossible. USF is an opportunity to make your own tradition, to be part of something new and pave your own way rather than tread the same path hundred of others already have. It is an opportunity to play close to home and have family come watch you play. It is an opportunity for playing time, audition for the next level and play against some of the best teams in the country.

If a coach believes in what he is selling about a program it will help him recruiting. Not sure all our coaches share that belief. Also, recruiting in Florida requires patience. Not every kid has USF as a first choice, but if our coaches wait and stay on kids there will be some that come available that do nt get the big 3 offer they want, or ultimately believe that their best option is USF. We can't quit on top talent kids that show any interest, even if they verbally commit elsewhere.

• Content Count:  502

OCS would be a big deal. Look at the success Heath is having (finally) now that we're upgrading the sun dome into something to sell to recruits.

• Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

Here we go again.

Let's see...USF vs Florida State. Which one is a household name across the country?

It takes years of sustained success to build a place where recruits fall all over themselves to go to.

There is nothing WRONG with USF. It just takes patience.

Archived