• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

One thing I have noticed, and noticed it today.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  5,591
  • Days Won:  3

This team lacks defensive senior/upperclassman leadership. I see the guys play hard, and from what I see they leave it all out on the field. But I also don't believe any one player has came out become a leader. I watched that stand when we were down three after fumbling, and the one guy I noticed was Ryne Giddens. He was fired up, he was waving his arms and smacking guys helmets walking across the line but he's still a sophomore. You don't see that from Sam Barrington, Quentin Washington or Jerrel Young. Upperclassman that I think should be leading these guys.

That is what I think hurts them, we get put into tough spots, and you don't see anyone taking the lead and really trying to get the guys going. Coaches can only go so far, at some point players need to take control of what they do. I see BJ more of leader this year on offense, along with Hine. But defensively, It's just not there.

Or I'm looking at nothing, and nothing of importance.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  173

no-- you have a valid point there

I don't think you have to be a Junior or senior to be a leader

sure didn't matter to Anthony Henry

kind of rare though on defense all the same to be a young leader-- more likely on offense as young QBs are driven that way via coaching

you might have put your finger on the problem

• Content Count:  8,612
  • Days Won:  28

This team lacks defensive senior/upperclassman leadership. I see the guys play hard, and from what I see they leave it all out on the field. But I also don't believe any one player has came out become a leader. I watched that stand when we were down three after fumbling, and the one guy I noticed was Ryne Giddens. He was fired up, he was waving his arms and smacking guys helmets walking across the line but he's still a sophomore. You don't see that from Sam Barrington, Quentin Washington or Jerrel Young. Upperclassman that I think should be leading these guys.

That is what I think hurts them, we get put into tough spots, and you don't see anyone taking the lead and really trying to get the guys going. Coaches can only go so far, at some point players need to take control of what they do. I see BJ more of leader this year on offense, along with Hine. But defensively, It's just not there.

Or I'm looking at nothing, and nothing of importance.

I think you might have nailed it. Last year we guys like Marshall, Beford, J Williams, McClain, Joseph and Skinny Raymond that stepped up as leaders on defense. This year the upperclassman leadership on defense is lacking big time.

• Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

You know-this may actually be the most rational thread on our defensive struggles... Nice post man

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  173

Who is the guy we should be seeing stepping up? Lattimore seems like the obvious choice but I've never met him -- not sure how vocal he is--- that is almost more important than how good a player the leader is since they are more like a coach/motivator on the field. In the interview I've seen with Lanaris, he seemed a little too relaxed for the role.

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

we dont have the talent

leadership with out talent gets you same amount of wins

we need a real bcs qb

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

it seems like the defense just wants the game to end.

no passion or enthuisasm

• Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

Who is the guy we should be seeing stepping up? Lattimore seems like the obvious choice but I've never met him -- not sure how vocal he is--- that is almost more important than how good a player the leader is since they are more like a coach/motivator on the field. In the interview I've seen with Lanaris, he seemed a little too relaxed for the role.

I think Barrington and Q are the two guys. Washington is a senior, and Barrington is a junior that is supposed to be the best linebacker we have.

Lattimore is only a sophomore himself. I think he and Giddens will start to show the leadership next year.

Archived