• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Fire Doug Woolard

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  164

interesting that you say this when everyone was so happy with the Holtz hire initially? This sounds more like buyers remorse than an AD not doing his job well.

Buyers remorse? This is not just a football problem this is a entire department's problem and that falls back on Doug Funny.

Bad Football (hot bed in the nation for this sport)

Bad Track and Field (hot bed in the nation for this sport)

Bad Volleyball (hot bed in the state for this sport)

Bad Basketball (hot bed in the state for men's and Hot bed in the nation for women's in this sport)

Bad Baseball (hot bed in the nation for this sport)

Good Soccer

Good Tennis

Ok Softball (sometimes starting to pick up again finally)

Doug sure is leading us in the right direction...Fire him and bring in a new A.D. Someone who is not afraid to make changes, our baseball team sucks yet we sign Prado to a muti-year contract extension...What?

This guy has to go, he sees no problem in what is happening with our sports and that is a pretty scary thing. This is why our marketing continues to suck and we continue to under produce. The guy does not care.

what about USF"s sports culture leads you to believe that the athletic department has ever been quick to change out a coach or make any sort of drastic move?

Do you realize how long Eddie Cardieri was our baseball coach? It's not how the school handles itself, short of some lawsuit or problem that forces the hand. Or a donor who gets pissed and has enough clout to be heard.

Suddenly we are going to become the Nebraska of the south (Specifically how they handled former FB HC Solich)? Even if you are right and he's running the programs into the ground-- the school itself supports this culture.

so if you couldn't guess--- in no way agree with you about needing to fire AD Woolard.

great analysis of our programs--- so descriptive. everything is a hot bed and bad--- woo-- cut and paste much?

You are delusional, one of our best sports is a sport that is not highly followed around here. How can we excel to the highest level in Soccer but fail at Basketball, Football, and Baseball? Sports where recruits are a dime a dozen where we are located. I don't need to breakdown our sports all of us know how awful we are at just about every sport we compete in. Our coaches lack the ability to teach our athletics the fundamentals. You can support Doug all you want, many of us have seen our teams average play enough to know the guys is not good at his job.

By the way Cardi won more games or had the same record against MUCH better competition so comparing him to Prado is laughable. All Prado has is two NC's at UT, to bad his talent advantage at UT would have made it possible for a roach to coach them to National Championship. How has he done having to build something...I will tell you awful. What did we have like 9 or 10 pro players on last years baseball team? How did that team perform? Or just about every other Baseball team he is coached. We can't even make the Big East title game, or we get their and fail miserably in the first round. But sure enough, we sign this coach to a lengthy contract extension. Makes so much sense.

In case you didn't notice, we are located in Central Florida. Last time I checked every sport I mentioned besides maybe soccer should be able to field a competitive team without having to leave the 300 mile radius around campus. Not many schools can say that, yet we continue to suck it up at everything. You can call it cut and paste all you want, I call blatant truth. We are in a hot bed for athletes yet we can't win at anything. Coach Eriksen has started to figure it out, why leave the area when you don't have to. Why are our basketball teams recruiting players in Minnesota and up north? Do these coaches need to be reminded that Polk, Hillsborough, and Central Florida in general produces some of the best Basketball talent in the country?

Call it cut and paste if you want but it is what it is. If you are so smart then tell us why our Athletics porgram sucks so much as a whole? Obvously Coaching and bad leadership is not the problem. To bad there is a high school coach in Lakeland that can coach circles around Skip with his eyes closed.

By the way did you notice UCF beat #4 UCONN in basketball...yet again something else they are better then us in...add that to list. I bet there leadership has something to do with it. Their AD actually cares about what the product looks like, ours doesn't care as long as that 500,000+ keeps rolling into his bank account every year.

words

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  5,591
  • Days Won:  3

By the way did you notice UCF beat #4 UCONN in basketball...yet again something else they are better then us in...add that to list. I bet there leadership has something to do with it. Their AD actually cares about what the product looks like, ours doesn't care as long as that 500,000+ keeps rolling into his bank account every year.

UCF might not be the best example. Their AD resigned about 2 weeks ago, and is one reason there about the be hit with sanctions.

• Content Count:  74,638
  • Days Won:  424

LOL ... You are certainly one smart cookie and have your finger square on the pulse of what's wrong with our programs ... we need to be more like UCF, with their list of things they are better than us in ... Good work.

LOL ... You are certainly one smart cookie and have your finger square on the pulse of what's wrong with our programs ... we need to be more like UCF, with their list of things they are better than us in ... Good work.

don't you know-- every school everywhere in Florida should have the bestest (sp) sports programs ever--- WE'RE IN THE HOTBED OF EVERYTHING! But we are bad.

ignore that the first stadium the school built was actually for soccer (and track-- which is not really anywhere as bad as he thinks it is)-- nah-- not important as to why that program is doing well

Cardieri won a bunch of stuff-- nevermind it was over 20 years with the school and ignore what he did those first few years versus Prado-- nah--- instant results from our coaches or GTFO

great plan -- we should hire this guy--- to mop the floors of the athletics building. That is as close as he deserves to be to the situation.

hmm--- I think I summed it better when I just said "words"

• Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

Is the problem a person or a culture of mediocrity?

• Content Count:  3,084
  • Days Won:  2

Today I got to watch my beloved alma mater play for the only time this season. Being in another state makes it difficult to see games live, but believe me, I watch every game, even if it means skipping one of the best college football environments in the country.

I believe, after watching today's game, after being able to get into the student section despite a very obvious "alumni" embroidered on my sleeve (let's face it, who could argue that those seats were going to be used), after watching the basketball teams have to play in Lakeland and UT and the USF RECREATION CENTER ("Hi, I'm a 45-year-old just here to watch the game" "Okay, just make sure not to touch any equipment on the way out"), after watching mediocrity at best, and atrocity at worst, it is time to take drastic measures.

It is time to ask Doug Woolard to resign.

Because he has taken this program, this promising, potential-filled, and possibly great program, and turned it into absolutely nothing. Our football team has been decent at best, disappointing at its' worst, and our basketball team had one fluke season where they somehow got into the NIT, only to falter in the first round, not lasting a flipping DAY in the tournament. Our baseball team? No other state in the COUNTRY should be able to recruit as well as we should, yet we still finish in the middle of the pack, never once living up to the expectations.

You look at 90% of the major athletic programs in the nation, they have one sport that they excel at above all others. At Duke, they may suck at football, but when basketball comes around it's another story; at Florida State, their basketball team may have their down years, but their football program has been consistently one of the best teams in their conference. What do we have? A couple of lower-tier bowls and a basketball team that can't draw better attendance a Black Friday line at Best Buy!

And our student section? It's the most ridiculous excuse for a student section I've ever seen. I love USF, and I love that I was a part of a student section that has the passionate die-hards that we have. But that's the problem: That's all we have. Doug Woolard's athletic department has failed to build tradition, which can help increase attendance, which can lead to better performance on the field, which will lead to even greater attendance.

At USC, we have this amazing tradition. For those that haven't seen a game at Williams-Brice, and experienced the student section (Which I GUARANTEE YOU will have at least 9,000 in the stands tomorrow), they play this song, Sandstorm. It's exciting, and it turns the student section into a rave for a brief 30 seconds, but it gets them fired up. Even UCF, with Zombie Nation, has built tradition, and a solid fanbase. We have none of that, and I don't blame the students. Okay, maybe I partially blame the students, but the Athletic Department absolutely shares blame in this. They share blame in the poor state of our athletic department. You want change? I know I do, and change comes from the top. It's time to fire Doug Woolard.

I posted basically the same exact post about a week ago and got bashed< im starting to think you guys dont like me. :(

All excellent points and I agree Woolard has let all the wind out of the sail and stopped all momentum in every program. Nice guy, but its time to be let go.

FYI, Florida State is a top 25 basketball program this year and Florida is top 10. They have no real tradtion but went out and got great coaches, committed to the program and now looks whats going on.

Also, can anyone tell me why we have a terrible Golf team too? Thats like Colorado having a bad ski team. Makes no sense.

our teams are not the best in the state because our programs are under funded compared to all the major schools and have been since day 1. The only way to change that situation is attracting a ton more big donors. It is such a huge disparity in how much money we have to work with compared to a school like UF. Last time I checked, our athletics budget is in the lower end of the Big East, let alone the SEC/ACC who we compete against for the in state athletes.

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

keep holtz for 2 more years

fire the AD now

but please dont refer to south carolina univeristy as usc

there is only one usc and that is in los angeles

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

What do you mean no tradition. We have the Beef Studs.

I'm not going to go in detail about this, but if you were at the game today, it showed how many Beef Studs are TRUE and Die Hard fans.

I do have some friends that are Beef Studs and LEGIT fans and some were there today but none painted up and I think only 5-10 were there.....

Noticed that, beef studs are a joke. No offense to your friends, but they're really nothing worthy of being our "tradition".

But honestly, you can't blame the beef studs. Our entire student body is a joke. There were maybe 20 students at the basketball game and I'm not sure if that's accurate, I only saw me and my few friends and the group of SBC students up front, group of about 10. I know we suck, I know it was the day before thanksgiving. But for those 5,000+ students who live in Tampa, who wouldn't enjoy a basketball game at the forum?

fuhbull11 good luck with mikeg

he has so many excuses over the years for usf's failures i could post another 65k listing them

he is a great fan but so blind by the green and gold goggles

What do you mean no tradition. We have the Beef Studs.

I'm not going to go in detail about this, but if you were at the game today, it showed how many Beef Studs are TRUE and Die Hard fans.

I do have some friends that are Beef Studs and LEGIT fans and some were there today but none painted up and I think only 5-10 were there.....

Noticed that, beef studs are a joke. No offense to your friends, but they're really nothing worthy of being our "tradition".

But honestly, you can't blame the beef studs. Our entire student body is a joke. There were maybe 20 students at the basketball game and I'm not sure if that's accurate, I only saw me and my few friends and the group of SBC students up front, group of about 10. I know we suck, I know it was the day before thanksgiving. But for those 5,000+ students who live in Tampa, who wouldn't enjoy a basketball game at the forum?

fuhbull11 good luck with mikeg

he has so many excuses over the years for usf's failures i could post another 65k listing them

he is a great fan but so blind by the green and gold goggles

you can call them excuses-- I call it having an opinion and a discussion about that opinion

unlike you-- some of us are here to exchange ideas, not throw three or four caustic statements (two of them typically identical to the last post you made) at the wall and see what pisses people off without bothering to back up what you are saying with reasoning

Archived