• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Fire Doug Woolard

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  74,639
  • Days Won:  424

Today I got to watch my beloved alma mater play for the only time this season. Being in another state makes it difficult to see games live, but believe me, I watch every game, even if it means skipping one of the best college football environments in the country.

I believe, after watching today's game, after being able to get into the student section despite a very obvious "alumni" embroidered on my sleeve (let's face it, who could argue that those seats were going to be used), after watching the basketball teams have to play in Lakeland and UT and the USF RECREATION CENTER ("Hi, I'm a 45-year-old just here to watch the game" "Okay, just make sure not to touch any equipment on the way out"), after watching mediocrity at best, and atrocity at worst, it is time to take drastic measures.

It is time to ask Doug Woolard to resign.

Because he has taken this program, this promising, potential-filled, and possibly great program, and turned it into absolutely nothing. Our football team has been decent at best, disappointing at its' worst, and our basketball team had one fluke season where they somehow got into the NIT, only to falter in the first round, not lasting a flipping DAY in the tournament. Our baseball team? No other state in the COUNTRY should be able to recruit as well as we should, yet we still finish in the middle of the pack, never once living up to the expectations.

You look at 90% of the major athletic programs in the nation, they have one sport that they excel at above all others. At Duke, they may suck at football, but when basketball comes around it's another story; at Florida State, their basketball team may have their down years, but their football program has been consistently one of the best teams in their conference. What do we have? A couple of lower-tier bowls and a basketball team that can't draw better attendance a Black Friday line at Best Buy!

And our student section? It's the most ridiculous excuse for a student section I've ever seen. I love USF, and I love that I was a part of a student section that has the passionate die-hards that we have. But that's the problem: That's all we have. Doug Woolard's athletic department has failed to build tradition, which can help increase attendance, which can lead to better performance on the field, which will lead to even greater attendance.

At USC, we have this amazing tradition. For those that haven't seen a game at Williams-Brice, and experienced the student section (Which I GUARANTEE YOU will have at least 9,000 in the stands tomorrow), they play this song, Sandstorm. It's exciting, and it turns the student section into a rave for a brief 30 seconds, but it gets them fired up. Even UCF, with Zombie Nation, has built tradition, and a solid fanbase. We have none of that, and I don't blame the students. Okay, maybe I partially blame the students, but the Athletic Department absolutely shares blame in this. They share blame in the poor state of our athletic department. You want change? I know I do, and change comes from the top. It's time to fire Doug Woolard.

I posted basically the same exact post about a week ago and got bashed< im starting to think you guys dont like me. :(

I think it was that nobody wanted to be associated with your loony stream of consciousness rambling about USF shutting down basketball ....

All excellent points and I agree Woolard has let all the wind out of the sail and stopped all momentum in every program.

Pray tell, please list the sports that had momentum that DW cut short and how exactly he accomplished that stopping of momentum ...

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

Exactly three basketball recruits in the Rivals Top 150. Florida is decidedly not a recruiting hotbed for basketball.

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

Fuhbull11,

Your whole argument was debunked once you said Florida is a top basketball talent state.

Best ballers are in NY, Cali, DC area, and Indiana. Been like that forever and it is not gonna change anytime soon.

Before going on a rant do a little bit of research first.

Archived