• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Fire Doug Woolard

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  565
  • Days Won:  0

Today I got to watch my beloved alma mater play for the only time this season. Being in another state makes it difficult to see games live, but believe me, I watch every game, even if it means skipping one of the best college football environments in the country.

I believe, after watching today's game, after being able to get into the student section despite a very obvious "alumni" embroidered on my sleeve (let's face it, who could argue that those seats were going to be used), after watching the basketball teams have to play in Lakeland and UT and the USF RECREATION CENTER ("Hi, I'm a 45-year-old just here to watch the game" "Okay, just make sure not to touch any equipment on the way out"), after watching mediocrity at best, and atrocity at worst, it is time to take drastic measures.

It is time to ask Doug Woolard to resign.

Because he has taken this program, this promising, potential-filled, and possibly great program, and turned it into absolutely nothing. Our football team has been decent at best, disappointing at its' worst, and our basketball team had one fluke season where they somehow got into the NIT, only to falter in the first round, not lasting a flipping DAY in the tournament. Our baseball team? No other state in the COUNTRY should be able to recruit as well as we should, yet we still finish in the middle of the pack, never once living up to the expectations.

You look at 90% of the major athletic programs in the nation, they have one sport that they excel at above all others. At Duke, they may suck at football, but when basketball comes around it's another story; at Florida State, their basketball team may have their down years, but their football program has been consistently one of the best teams in their conference. What do we have? A couple of lower-tier bowls and a basketball team that can't draw better attendance a Black Friday line at Best Buy!

And our student section? It's the most ridiculous excuse for a student section I've ever seen. I love USF, and I love that I was a part of a student section that has the passionate die-hards that we have. But that's the problem: That's all we have. Doug Woolard's athletic department has failed to build tradition, which can help increase attendance, which can lead to better performance on the field, which will lead to even greater attendance.

At USC, we have this amazing tradition. For those that haven't seen a game at Williams-Brice, and experienced the student section (Which I GUARANTEE YOU will have at least 9,000 in the stands tomorrow), they play this song, Sandstorm. It's exciting, and it turns the student section into a rave for a brief 30 seconds, but it gets them fired up. Even UCF, with Zombie Nation, has built tradition, and a solid fanbase. We have none of that, and I don't blame the students. Okay, maybe I partially blame the students, but the Athletic Department absolutely shares blame in this. They share blame in the poor state of our athletic department. You want change? I know I do, and change comes from the top. It's time to fire Doug Woolard.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  164

Today I got to watch my beloved alma mater play for the only time this season. Being in another state makes it difficult to see games live, but believe me, I watch every game, even if it means skipping one of the best college football environments in the country.

I believe, after watching today's game, after being able to get into the student section despite a very obvious "alumni" embroidered on my sleeve (let's face it, who could argue that those seats were going to be used), after watching the basketball teams have to play in Lakeland and UT and the USF RECREATION CENTER ("Hi, I'm a 45-year-old just here to watch the game" "Okay, just make sure not to touch any equipment on the way out"), after watching mediocrity at best, and atrocity at worst, it is time to take drastic measures.

It is time to ask Doug Woolard to resign.

Because he has taken this program, this promising, potential-filled, and possibly great program, and turned it into absolutely nothing. Our football team has been decent at best, disappointing at its' worst, and our basketball team had one fluke season where they somehow got into the NIT, only to falter in the first round, not lasting a flipping DAY in the tournament. Our baseball team? No other state in the COUNTRY should be able to recruit as well as we should, yet we still finish in the middle of the pack, never once living up to the expectations.

You look at 90% of the major athletic programs in the nation, they have one sport that they excel at above all others. At Duke, they may suck at football, but when basketball comes around it's another story; at Florida State, their basketball team may have their down years, but their football program has been consistently one of the best teams in their conference. What do we have? A couple of lower-tier bowls and a basketball team that can't draw better attendance a Black Friday line at Best Buy!

And our student section? It's the most ridiculous excuse for a student section I've ever seen. I love USF, and I love that I was a part of a student section that has the passionate die-hards that we have. But that's the problem: That's all we have. Doug Woolard's athletic department has failed to build tradition, which can help increase attendance, which can lead to better performance on the field, which will lead to even greater attendance.

At USC, we have this amazing tradition. For those that haven't seen a game at Williams-Brice, and experienced the student section (Which I GUARANTEE YOU will have at least 9,000 in the stands tomorrow), they play this song, Sandstorm. It's exciting, and it turns the student section into a rave for a brief 30 seconds, but it gets them fired up. Even UCF, with Zombie Nation, has built tradition, and a solid fanbase. We have none of that, and I don't blame the students. Okay, maybe I partially blame the students, but the Athletic Department absolutely shares blame in this. They share blame in the poor state of our athletic department. You want change? I know I do, and change comes from the top. It's time to fire Doug Woolard.

we're a soccer school, dude

• Content Count:  8,612
  • Days Won:  28

What do you mean no tradition. We have the Beef Studs.

• Content Count:  6,181
  • Days Won:  12

I agree with you that we really don't have any traditions. I've always thought it would be nice to have a song that got the fans into the game. USF needs to find something that unites the fan base. I've had season tickets since 2004 when graduated, love sports, and have been finding myself less then excited about going to games this year.

interesting that you say this when everyone was so happy with the Holtz hire initially? This sounds more like buyers remorse than an AD not doing his job well.

• Content Count:  5,881
  • Days Won:  7

Woolard hired initially 3 well regarded coaches who have been total flops at USF. Holtz, Heath, Prado. Signing Prado, mediocre coach at best, to an extension is Doug at his finest.

• Content Count:  6,181
  • Days Won:  12

interesting that you say this when everyone was so happy with the Holtz hire initially? This sounds more like buyers remorse than an AD not doing his job well.

I think most people just heard the Holtz last name and jumped on the bandwagon.

I think most people just heard the Holtz last name and jumped on the bandwagon.

maybe- but I never heard anyone not think he was a good hire until the losses started piling up.

bottom line to me is ANY coach needs time to get himself and his "plan" in place and working. If they had used the first two years of Coach K's teams as a basis, his ass should have been fired. Not that we are sitting on a bunch of hall of fame coaches here, but I think we should give them a shot to prove themselves.

And I'm not a huge fan of Holtz by any means. Or Heath. Couldn't say about Prado. How about that soccer coach though-- he's a good one I tell ya. Let's focus on that-- yeah-- that's the ticket. (ps-- please tell Holtz not to go to the next soccer playoff game- bad juju)

Archived