• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

"Somebody,s got to pay" coach Gaither;Fla. A&M

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  274
  • Days Won:  0

Years ago when the legendary coach of FAMU was confronted with a demoralizing and unexpected loss and was asked to comment as to what happened, his only statement was 'Somebody has to pay for this loss." The next saturday his team went out and tore into their opponent and all the other opponents that year.

I believe that's what USF has to do. Forget about the mistakes and go out there and play with a vengence.

• Content Count:  1,719
  • Days Won:  6

moral of the story: USF needs a black coach?

kidding... but maybe the cultural differences between Skip and his players has created a disconnect.

this fancypants northeastern liberal (not in a political way, mind u) howdy doody "everyone's a winner even when u lose" stuff just doesn't resonate with our guys.

Leavitt was certainly intense, although his intensity was rarely focused and hence our guys often lost focus.

a nice middle ground would be awesome, somewhere between bellybutton caresses with butterfly wings and headbuttchokeslaps.

• Content Count:  4,259
  • Days Won:  3

kidding... but maybe the cultural differences between Skip and his players has created a disconnect.

this fancypants northeastern liberal (not in a political way, mind u) howdy doody "everyone's a winner even when u lose" stuff just doesn't resonate with our guys.

Leavitt was certainly intense, although his intensity was rarely focused and hence our guys often lost focus.

a nice middle ground would be awesome, somewhere between bellybutton caresses with butterfly wings and headbuttchokeslaps.

Funny and I agree. I always liked Jim Harbaugh's approach at Stanford, that they were going to play with Character and Cruelty with heavy doses of the latter. Unfortunately, I don't think that is in Skip's "howdy doody" DNA.

• Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

I think it's waaayyyy too early to pass judgement. I realize The Bullspen normally gives coaches a 24 grace period and then they must win, or else. But it normally takes longer than that for a coach to leave his mark.

• Content Count:  42
  • Days Won:  0

WOW, I totally agree with you guys. Me personally, I don't think skip and his staff that he brought in, can coach this type of talent. He's seems more suited for those mid major schools out west.

• Content Count:  7,201

I've been saying our coaches lacked intensity and sense of urgency, and ergo our team has, the entire season. Leavitt was over the top a bit, but this kumbaya hugging stuff has to go. We need to get fired up and knock some heads around. There should hever be a coach saying "hey better luck next time". You create your own luck, good or bad.

• Content Count:  4,259

I think it's waaayyyy too early to pass judgement. I realize The Bullspen normally gives coaches a 24 grace period and then they must win, or else. But it normally takes longer than that for a coach to leave his mark.

I would agree DB, where a HC is taking over a team that has been on the bottom. The football team was far from that condition. We should be competing for a BE championship this year, not for who will be the worst team in the conference (Syracuse game). This season is already a disappointment and our only bright spot on the horizon is possibly to not be the worst team in the BE or to not break any other records (winning seasons, bowl invites, etc.). Obviously he gets a pass this year since he is on a 5-year contract. If he can get the team to produce and go on a 2 or 3 game winning streak, he may avoid the proverbial coaching hot seat. We can only hope.

• Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

WOW, I totally agree with you guys. Me personally, I don't think skip and his staff that he brought in, can coach this type of talent. He's seems more suited for those mid major schools out west.

HAHAHAHAHA, really?????? That's funny.

Seriously? So today, the argument is cultural differences and interpersonal communication style? Quite a change from Xs and Os. If we win tonight, will the "howdy doody" method be vindicated?

Some of you guys are pretty hilarious.

• Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

Leavitt was often the team's motiation, which stunted some of the players from leadership roles. Holtz needs guys who are self motivated or motivated more by the bond with their teammates as he is not going to provide the outside motivation.

Having said that, if he would stop coaching to the other team's strengths on offense, or make Snyder call more aggressive defenses in the last 5 minutes then all the "howdy-doody" stuff you guys referenced would not matter. In fact I am sure there would be posts about how he brought a calm cool demeanor to the sideline. We are not a physical nasty team on the offensive side of the ball and never have been, and I doubt we will be with Holtz. On defense I think we can be pretty physical, just not seen it consistently this year.

Archived