• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

BJ Daniels is to blame!

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  74,639
  • Days Won:  424

A minor, nit-picky point, but I think it's kind of hard to score 14 points on one drive. We lost out on 7 points on that drive, not 14... :)

<insert moon smilie which I'm pissed we don't have any more>

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  78
  • Days Won:  0

Looking at the OP`s name, and his insistence on referring to Coach Leavitt as ``CWSBNSNABWNSBSBW!1`` or some other self-pitying, grudge-holding foolishness, belies a complete lack of objectivity in this thread.

This thread has less to do with any ``rift`` as it does with sour grapes over the Leavitt deal, nearly 2 years later. Why Leavitt is even mentioned in a thread about an in-game decision between Coach Holtz and BJ Daniels is beyond me. A hypothetical comparison for hypothetical comparison`s sake? Weak.

I know Holtz has been the trendy scapegoat of the week the past couple weeks, but fact is BJ`s decision was costly and anyone watching knows it.

Now I`m sure people like the OP would love just as much to roast Holtz for making stupid excuses about ``humidity`` but this answer is far closer to the truth and far less headslappingly embarrassing.

Does that mean BJ is to blame for the outcome of the game? Of course not. He had 400 yards and got us the lead with a minute and a half left in the game. He made some mistakes, but expecting BJ to get into the endzone THREE times on that drive (after two BS holding calls) is a lot. Of all the minutiae of the game to be analyzed, Coach Leavitt is not one of them.

Sorry buddy.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,639
  • Days Won:  424

trendy scapegoat of the week

I like it ... Maybe we should start an official weekly award

• Content Count:  78

I like it ... Maybe we should start an official weekly award

It should be a new category in the Weekly Prediction Contest. ``Whose Fault Will It Be If We Lose: _______``Lol.

• Content Count:  831

Penalties and miscues were the downfall this week (or again). Doesn't anyone remember that the botched snap could have sent this game into overtime even with the UC late TD???? There are so many things wrong with this team but I agree that is starts from the top and runs downhill. Why would you play a prevent man coverage late in the game? If they go down field on you and make it so be it. Make them beat you with the big play and not chunk by chunk.

• Content Count:  7,379
  • Days Won:  3

Looking at the OP`s name, and his insistence on referring to Coach Leavitt as ``CWSBNSNABWNSBSBW!1`` or some other self-pitying, grudge-holding foolishness, belies a complete lack of objectivity in this thread.

This thread has less to do with any ``rift`` as it does with sour grapes over the Leavitt deal, nearly 2 years later. Why Leavitt is even mentioned in a thread about an in-game decision between Coach Holtz and BJ Daniels is beyond me. A hypothetical comparison for hypothetical comparison`s sake? Weak.

I know Holtz has been the trendy scapegoat of the week the past couple weeks, but fact is BJ`s decision was costly and anyone watching knows it.

Now I`m sure people like the OP would love just as much to roast Holtz for making stupid excuses about ``humidity`` but this answer is far closer to the truth and far less headslappingly embarrassing.

Does that mean BJ is to blame for the outcome of the game? Of course not. He had 400 yards and got us the lead with a minute and a half left in the game. He made some mistakes, but expecting BJ to get into the endzone THREE times on that drive (after two BS holding calls) is a lot. Of all the minutiae of the game to be analyzed, Coach Leavitt is not one of them.

Sorry buddy.

WOW! I think you read WAY TO MUCH into all of that. First let me explain something about myself. I am a procrastinator, almost professionally! The board name change would require me to 1) figure out how to do it and 2) come up with something clever. Neither of those things have poped up as any kind of priority. By the time I come up with a name change it could be 10 years from now, I'll think of something neat like "****!Skippy" and a month later Coach Holtz will leave to take over the Notre Dame program.

So, 1) I have no hang up with the coach situation. I might have previously commented on the difference in styles when the 2nd string was mentioned before the FAMU game but it was an observation more than anything. How many times did we hear "Boy, these guys are really good" and we all just rolled our eyes?

Also, I thought and still think Holtz is doing a decent job. I had lower expectations for our program at this point in the change so it's not the losses that bug me. During the game, I really thought the coach was justified in his decision. Like I said, I figured he was worried that if we burned the time out we might have a problem RUNNING OUR FIELD GOAL UNIT onto the field and getting the snap off in time and accurately. So, EVEN AFTER THE PLAY I was okay with Holtz's call. It was ONLY after hearing the POST GAME INTERVIEW where I cringed hearing Holtz blame BJ. Now, if you see my OTHER POSTS ON BJ you will see I am not BJs biggest fan. I could have said "SEE EVEN THE COACH THINKS HE MAKES BAD DECISIONS" but my real reaction and thought was "WOW, COACH JUST TOTALLY THREW THE KID UNDER THE BUS".

Now, I mentioned Leavit with the acronym becuase I wanted to discuss the difference without using his name so people didnt think it was a "bring Leavitt back" thread. I think you took my user name and my reference and came up with something out of left field.

It is a difference in philosophy. At the moment I heard the interview, I was picturing the offense all confused on the field stairing at their coach all signalling a mock time-out only to watch the time run down and Holtz bring on the FG unit. Many of those kids had their hands in the air as if they didnt understand. When I heard the radio interview, I realized some of those kids on the field may question the call AND see a teamate thrown under the bus. That type of thing can lead to a divide. You have to trust your coach and your coach has to trust his players.

Now, if you still think this is something personal, please find ONE THREAD where I have ever jumped into the fray on the fire leavitt/keep leavitt thread. I cannot recall getting that involved. I've had the user name since Brad started the board. In this post I am defending BJ which you will find plenty of threads in which I seem like the biggest anti BJ poster (hence the joke with the title.)

I think you need to refund your "Jump to Conclusions Mat" as yours seems broken.

office_space_kit_mat.jpg

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

Penalties lost the game not B.J.; Maybe Holtz should give Mark Dantonio a call.

http://bit.ly/onKtk8

I agree, penalties killed us. I thought that when Holtz came in the penalties would be minimized (as they were last year). It seems that we are back to the old ways. I originally thought that perhaps Leavitt's aggressiveness was a major factor where the penalties wer concerned. Apparently not.

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

I think if anyone deserves blame for what happened just before the half, it should be BJ. BJ needs to realize that in that situation before the half, you throw the ball away if nobody is open so you can stop the clock and run another play on the next down. You shouldn't try to run with it unless it is absolutely wide open to the endzone.

I don't think BJ is mature enough yet to handle those situations which is why I agree with Holtz decision to let the time run down and call a timeout to kick the field goal and getting some points. BJ's first instinct after seeing that no one is open is always to run with the ball, which I don't blame him for. But BJ needs to realize that in certain situations with a clock that is ticking down before the half or the end of the game, throwing the ball away to stop the clock and have another down to run a play is the best option.

at this point it is on the coach if he plays bj

bj doesnt have want it takes to be qb

• Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

Did you see how well he played Saturday? Did you even watch the game?

• Content Count:  7,379
  • Days Won:  3

Did you see how well he played Saturday? Did you even watch the game?

The real question is did he even read the post?

Archived