• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Jim Leavitt to FAU???????????

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  7,780
  • Days Won:  7

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7093310/florida-atlantic-owls-list-potential-coaches-includes-leach

What is the likelihood that Coach Levitt is picked as the new head coach for FAU?  They did, after all, mirror their football program after USF's football program.

• Content Count:  4,738
  • Days Won:  0

seems like kansas state would be a possibility

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  2,305
  • Days Won:  11

Frankly, it would prompt me to be a bit of an FAU fan.

• Content Count:  7,780
  • Days Won:  7

Is he still a coordinator with the 49ers?  Has anyone heard how he is doing there?  Do you think he would want to step back into college football or been there done that?

• Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

K-state

• Content Count:  2,305
  • Days Won:  6

The 49ers are 4-1 this year.

• Content Count:  3,030
  • Days Won:  2

we dont need to compete against Jimbo in Fl for recruits...........hope he lands at K-State

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

Is he still a coordinator with the 49ers?  Has anyone heard how he is doing there?  Do you think he would want to step back into college football or been there done that?

I believe he is the LB coach and not a coordinator.

I think he would take a head coaching job in college football.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,517
  • Days Won:  422

They were talking about this on XM College Football tonight and Childers, the host, said that if Leach, who co-hosts a show on XM, didn't go to Arizona, he'd be very interested since he's now living in Key West .... which is probably horsefeathers. Leach craps on the BE all the time so I can't imagine him going to a conference like the Sun Belt, or even CUSA, if FAU gets moved up.

• Content Count:  1,741
  • Days Won:  0

Florida Atlantic University plans to reach out to at least two familiar names in its search for Howard’s Schnellenberger’s successor: Randy Shannon and Mike Leach.

"Randy is a man of integrity, a first-class guy and first-class coach,†said FAU athletic director Craig Angelos, who worked at UM when Shannon was an assistant there. “I want to see if he’s interested.â€

Angelos also has a good relationship with Leach: “I would consider Mike,†he said.

Angelos, who has been focusing on Saturday’s opening of FAU’s new stadium (against Western Kentucky), also plans to speak to former USF coach Jim Leavitt  (who is now the San Francisco 49ers' linebackers coach) and several others. “I will cast a wide net,†Angelos said, adding there’s no front-runner to succeed the retiring Schnellenberger but that he wants a successor in place by December.

A close associate said Shannon prefers a higher-profile job, ideally out west, and would love the Arizona gig, which is open after Mike Stoops’ firing Monday. Shannon has received a few defensive coordinator offers, but no head coaching offers, since UM fired him last November after going 28-22 in four years. Shannon might have to decide whether to bite if FAU ultimately offers him the job or gamble on his chances of landing a more attractive job eventually.

“A lot of times when you give people a second chance they are better than the first time,†Angelos said. “They’ve learned from mistakes. They’re hungrier. That was the case with our basketball coach Mike Jarvis, and he won the conference here after three years. Randy can be better the second time around.â€

Leach went 84-43 at Texas Tech, including 11-2 and 8-4 his last two seasons before being fired after 2009 amid allegations of improper treatment of receiver Adam James. Leach denied the claims and said, “I was a victim of a national smear campaign by Craig James and ESPN.† After Shannon’s firing, UM didn’t approach Leach partly because of those issues, but FAU has no major concerns.

Leach, who has received no offers since his dismissal, said he would be receptive to listening to FAU. “I do plan to coach,†he said. “Craig is a great man and FAU is a great program. Anything negative that happens to Miami can only help FAU and FIU.â€

Archived