• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF/Big East Realignment Discussion Thread

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

I think it would be far more attractive if we applied together to the SEC.  Heck, why not have WVU, USF, and Louisville all apply together as a package to bring the SEC to 16?

I think this is a freaking amazingly ideal idea. All three of these schools are in relatively new markets for the SEC. All of these schools have SEC-style talent and football focus. Can someone without green and gold goggles on tell me why this would never happen?

UF & UK veto

The schools don't have veto rights.  There is apparently a gentleman's agreement between Florida, Georgia, and South Carolina not to add schools in their states.  I've never heard UK being part of that.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  4,879
  • Days Won:  0

IF Big10 goes to 16, what school is better as the 16th than USF.  Big 10 schools alumni bases are HUGE on FL west coast and events like away football games drive enthusiasm which drives donations.

• Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

ESPN just reported that Coach K and Roy Williams wants to ACC to go to 16 with two 8 team divisions.

• Content Count:  4,501

You forgot WVU.

East:

USF

WVU

UCONN

Rutgirls

Cincy

Louisville

West:

Mizzou

TCU

Kansas

Kansas State

Baylor

Iowa State

This would actually be better than the ACC was at 12 teams I think. Would still be an elite basketball conference. We could have the football championship in Tampa, and basketball championship in Chicago.

We could still call it the BIG EAST because all the teams are east of Texas. I like how the Mississippi River would divide the divisions. Imagine if the oklahoma schools stayed on board too.

iIJkDteDuVKZ9.jpg

Very nice job on the post and the map

IF Big10 goes to 16, what school is better as the 16th than USF.  Big 10 schools alumni bases are HUGE on FL west coast and events like away football games drive enthusiasm which drives donations.

Very ture

• Content Count:  1,204

UF & UK veto

Nope.  The political fallout for them would be big, especially if you apply together.  UF would have no choice but to vote for us due to the State Gov't, Board of Governors, etc.  They'd have to rely on other teams to scuttle out chances.  Same goes for UK.  

I also think if West Virginia could have gotten in on their own that they would have made the first move.  There's a reason Pitt and Cuse did it together - safety in numbers.  Maybe they can get in there on their own, but maybe not.

But UF will vote for us if we apply.  Everyone else might vote against us, but they would politically have no other choice.

And I wouldn't say that UF has Tampa locked down.  FSU has a sizeable contingent here as does USF.  FSU would be the obvious first choice, but if they want to stay in the ACC and you can further strengthen your presence in one of the biggest states in the country, you might pull the trigger.  

We couldn't get in alone, but in a package deal it might work.  I don't think it's likely right now, but so much depends on if the ACC teams are showing any interest in moving anymore.  If not then the SEC will HAVE to look elsewhere.  What's more appealing, Mizzou all alone or WVU, USF, and Louisville in a package that you can take to CBS and ask for a boatload more money just based on the new market conditions.  I believe if CBS doesn't offer a significant increase then they can shop.  They will want better than PAC-12 money because the SEC is the best and most entertaining conference in college football.

• Content Count:  579

I believe we have very little attraction to anyone.  We won't be the last kid picked in kickball, we will go right before him.  Our clout is minimal and we can only hope to piggyback somewhere nice. 

• Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

If the SEC adds any school from the Big East it's WVU and that's it. They're NOT adding us. Get that out of your head.

As long as we can be in a BCS conference, I don't care where we go.

That is the real answer Mike - you are 100% right

• Content Count:  565

I would honestly be stunned if the Big East still sponsors football in 3 years. Seeing as that 25% of their football teams just left, and more are likely to leave, this looks a lot like what happened to the Atlantic 10 5 years ago. I think the 8 teams that don't play football bring in a couple of other schools with no football program and form a 10-team, non-football Big East.

As for the Big East teams, God knows where they go... I just hope USF lands in a BCS conference.

Archived