• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Five things I learned last night

hm101

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  640
  • Days Won:  0

1. Holtz 'n Co. can be counted on to make reliable calls for another season.

2. Teams will kick away from Terrence Mitchell this year, if they know what's good for them.

3. Our offensive line is tougher than I thought it would be.

4. If is a person is angry enough, his face will turn purple.

5. There are Notre Dame fans EVERYWHERE (watched the game in a middle-of-nowhere bar in the south central Oregon desert with an irish catholic from Chicago).

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  1,204

I think the delay put a crimp in the gameplan on offense a bit and we didn't adapt well in the second half, at least not at first.  There were a lot of plays that were relying on basically sweeping out to the right or left on a field that wasn't great for traction instead of just going up the middle - the type of game favored on a slick field.  That did favor ND because they are built more for that.

The defense had a great nose for the ball when ND made mistakes.  The fumble run back was a great strip with Kayvon paying attention to scoop and score.  The interceptions near or in the end zone came from the defender being aware of the ball.  The first was a lob forced by defensive pressure.  The second was due to a ND receiver not turning, yet we took advantage.  If the ball hits the ground then the Irish get a chance to get points.

Exchanges were a bit problematic.  A poor exchange may have prevented a TD in the first half.  We got a FG, but the TD really would have sent a signal to ND.  And the C-QB exchange needs to get better.

We have three home games to iron things out and ND likely has the most dangerous WR corps we'll face all year.  

I'm hoping for Pitt to do well heading into our game against them up in Pittsburgh.  That could be a great Thursday night Prime Time feature for the BEAST.

• Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

Here's what I learned:

1) I can't eat when I'm waiting through a 2 hour rain delay and my alcohol consumption actually goes way up.

2) 6 hours is way to long to stand up screaming at a TV screen.

3) I now know where to find  Versus on my TV.

4) Friends from Notre Dame should never be invited over to watch "the game"

5) You could make a highlight reel of Brian Kelly's face during a football game(don't mention this to aforementioned friends).

Go Bulls.

• Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

We have a chance to be good

Rinse. Repeat.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  22,717
  • Days Won:  109

1. ND is a beautiful campus with great people.

2. Television runs sports. No reason for that game not to have been finished with bad weather approaching. What I mean is that after they announced that the weather was coming, they continued to take the TV timeouts. Without those delays, the game ends with only the one delay. 

3. OK, I didn't learn this, but I question why we didn't take more time off the play clock in the fourth quarter. 

4. ND's student section was impressive.  They showed up after both delays.

5. Our fans, for as little noise we make at some of the lesser home games, show up loud at the major away games.  Just watching the game now after getting home and it is amazing how loud 5,000 people can be.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,694
  • Days Won:  424

1. Our student section is great but has a long way to go.

2. Why Kelly desperately needed the drunk to play.

3. That cussing like a sailor apparently is approved by the Catholic Church (although I didn't learn this until getting home and watching the replay)

4. The Notre Dame radio guys are tools.

5. All of Indiana is NOT in the eastern time Zone.

5a. That it's not hard to see how much better we would have been last year with Love and Griffin playing.

• Content Count:  2,726

1. I learned that our defense played well enough to win.

2. I learned that our offense played well enough to win.

3. I learned that our special teams played well enough to win.

4. I learned that our coaching was good enough to win.

5. I, and I hope others, learned what great fans Notre Dame has.

THIS!!!

GO BULLS!!!

• Content Count:  2,923
  • Days Won:  1

1.  South Bend is in the middle of nowhere and corn.

2.  B.J. has improved significantly, but can still get better.

3.  Glad to have Love and Griffin back.

4.  Coaches that stay cool and calm under pressure translates to players playing cool and calm under pressure.

5.  The ND Band is AWESOME!

• Content Count:  4,738

1.  Far and away, our kicking game is the best facet of our team.  Good field goals, long kickoffs, and hang time on punts to die for. 

2.  Skip has an offense tailored to BJs strengths, safe passes to the sideline, moving pocket, designed run and the occasional long ball. 

3.  The defense was controlled on the line, especially in pass rush.  Our sacks were coverage sacks.  We are still a strong D though.

4.  AJ Love and Sterling Griffin were sorely missed last year.

5.  Notre Dame fans are extremely polite.

• Content Count:  5,241

1. We had one of the best "unofficial official" tailgates.

2. ND does not appreciate you doing gregorian chants while walking thru the basillica or whatever their fancy church is called.

3. We have a loud, awesome traveling fan base. I met bulls from Michigan, Kansas City, all over Florida, DC, etc

4.  Most people in Chicago do not like ND and were stoked we won.

5. Kudos to whoever did the Lets Go Lightning chant during the 1st weather delay

Archived