• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF Big East Practice Report

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  7,780
  • Days Won:  7

USF: The kicking jobs remain open at USF. Coach Skip Holtz said after practice that nobody is kicking with any consistency so far in camp. “I can’t look you in the eye and tell you that anybody has nailed down any of the special-teams responsibilities,†he said.

Holtz said kicker Maikon Bonani has had a few up and down days. Redshirt freshman Marvin Kloss and true freshman walk-on Mattias Ciabatti are in the mix. At punter, Justin Brockhaus-Kann and Chris Veron are competing, along with Mattias Ciabatti.

A little surprised to hear this, since I thought our kicking game was locked down with Bonani & Kann.

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigeast/post/_/id/22256/big-east-practice-report

• Content Count:  4,642
  • Days Won:  0

maybe it's due to increased competition.  they might all be good, but no one is the clear starter at this point.

• Content Count:  1,913
  • Days Won:  2

With the year Bonani had last season, he would almost have to lose the job by missing kicks in games. Punter much more wide-open -- Veron was atop the depth chart at end of spring, so Brockhaus-Kann has to beat him out here in the next few weeks. Holtz is fairly numeric with a job like punting -- they chart averages every day in practice, and in general, whoever has the better numbers has the job ...

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  22,724
  • Days Won:  109

maybe it's due to increased competition.  they might all be good, but no one is the clear starter at this point.

You may have missed the part where it said "nobody is kicking with any consistency so far in camp".  Doesn't sound like increased competition.

• Content Count:  7,780
  • Days Won:  7

Lets hope they are simply getting out the "kinks" from not playing since last season; I am an optimist.

• Content Count:  3,802
  • Days Won:  3

Bonani probably isn't competing for a job. Easy to miss meaningless FG's, I suppose.

• Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Lets hope they are simply getting out the "kinks" from not playing since last season; I am an optimist.

I'm an optimist as well.  Bonani isn't on the Groza watch list for nothing.  I'm sure he'll pull it together in time.  Like Auman said, Veron did well enough to top the depth chart in the spring, so same for him.

If we are going to have an negative issue with any aspect of the team at this point, I'd rather it be this one, frankly.  Things like this usually work themselves out.

Archived