• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

OCS donation poll

Over a 10 year span, I am willing to donate a total of  

83 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  22,723
  • Days Won:  109

I think it was 4-5 years ago when the TSA last gave us some serious crap about playing at RJS and we did do a fund drive on the board even though USF was very reluctant to agree.  It was a chance for fans to put their money where their mouth was by calling USF or donating here, online. I can't remember the exact total raised, but it was less than $2000.

Yet, when the discussion turns to an OCS people on here call for the "big donors" to step up, but want them to "get over it" when it comes to club type access.  USF hit the ground running on this Unstoppable campaign and had over $300 million when they had the kick off dinner two years ago.  So in two years they have pulled in a bit over $100 million and that includes donations toward the baseball stadium, basketball and golf practice facilities and all Athletic Dept. facilities funds.  Then you have the donors who kick in for, gasp, educational buildings, etc.

Coming up with $200 million for a football stadium in cash, pledges and "the check is in the mail promises" is going to take years, maybe decades.  Look at the last minute hoops they made the school jump through before starting on the refurbishing of the SunDome even though they had the money lined up.  We needed to have money in reserve. 

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  4,442
  • Days Won:  9

Just a thought, why does someone not call the USF Athletic department and ask them to start a fund for Stadium donations.   Money to be used for an on campus Football stadium.   Every quarter or so they release the amount that has been raised.

Thoughts?

I sent a tweet to Bill McGillis day before yesterday asking that very request. The reply was there was not a fund setup and that it was not on the horizon.

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  7,201
  • Days Won:  3

Call the OCS a hurricane shelter for the Tampa Bay Region and slide a funding bill through the state legislature next session for the dough to build the stadium.

This is 1 of the reasons why I called for a domed stadium in a previous thread. It just might work.

Tropicana field may be available soon.   ;D

Thread is officially hijacked. Sorry Cousin Ricky.

Anyway, the only way it would happen is if the school decided it was important.  Would need state money (ie lobbyists would need to get busy), would require millions in donations (even from peon's like most of us on the board, 10's/100's/1000's would all be important) and lastly a bond issue.  Reality is that getting a $300M project off the ground would take 3 - 5 years ONCE THE school had intent to do so.  Right now, there isn't even intent.

This aint happening anytime soon folks.  Best case scenario, maybe a shovel in the ground in 2017 or so.  I would place a bet that it would be more like 2020 before a ground breaking based on a lack of progress at this point. 

We need to win a few BE titles, and maybe get in the top 10 on a regular basis, before the $$$ will start flowing towards a project of this magnitude.  With a conference(s) shakeup, and a lucrative conference deal for USF, it might also become easier. 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  22,723
  • Days Won:  109

Anyway, the only way it would happen is if the school decided it was important.  Would need state money (ie lobbyists would need to get busy), would require millions in donations (even from peon's like most of us on the board, 10's/100's/1000's would all be important) and lastly a bond issue.  Reality is that getting a $300M project off the ground would take 3 - 5 years ONCE THE school had intent to do so.  Right now, there isn't even intent.

This aint happening anytime soon folks.   Best case scenario, maybe a shovel in the ground in 2017 or so.  I would place a bet that it would be more like 2020 before a ground breaking based on a lack of progress at this point.   

We need to win a few BE titles, and maybe get in the top 10 on a regular basis, before the $$$ will start flowing towards a project of this magnitude.  With a conference(s) shakeup, and a lucrative conference deal for USF, it might also become easier. 

As long as we keep it to the finances I'm OK with it.  This poll was my convoluted attempt to let people on here know that the money isn't there and won't be for a long time.  $200 million is a lot of money when you don't get State funding.  I'm not in a hurry for an OCS, but just was wondering how many are willing to put their money where their mouth is. 

• Content Count:  21,365
  • Days Won:  10

I wonder if the State helped Florida build their stadium.  We know they helped FSU.

• Content Count:  7,780
  • Days Won:  7

I would also pledge $83.33 a month for the next 10 years.  If we could get 19,999 other people to do this we could get a decent OCS and paid off prettly quickly.

I would pledge $83.34/month.  Anyone for $83.35/month?

This aint happening anytime soon folks.   Best case scenario, maybe a shovel in the ground in 2017 or so.  I would place a bet that it would be more like 2020 before a ground breaking based on a lack of progress at this point.   

As long as we keep it to the finances I'm OK with it.  This poll was my convoluted attempt to let people on here know that the money isn't there and won't be for a long time.  $200 million is a lot of money when you don't get State funding.  I'm not in a hurry for an OCS, but just was wondering how many are willing to put their money where their mouth is. 

Truth of the matter, once the OCS plan grows legs, I am sure I'll donate something.  Probably will have to in order to keep my seats.  But, I am not unhappy with RJS.  Some aspects I don’t like but most I do like.  And I think USF is light years from being able to afford a decent OCS, and I am not willing for us to settle like “other†schools were forced to do.  The fact we are in a $500M stadium, is just fine for me.  And they will be forced to keep it up to NFL standards.  I also think its central location will encourage attendance growth.  I am not “unhappy†with the current situation, so a better question is how much would I need to pony up to change something that is already pretty good?

• Content Count:  3,692
  • Days Won:  2

I don't think anyone is unhappy at RayJay.  I love the place.  We are spoiled, plain and simple:  Cheap tickets, high dollar stadium, easy parking and tailgating, competitive BCS product on the feild...what is not to like?

But, I want the true college game day experience.  I want to go back to campus on Saturdays and enjoy the game in a green and gold stadium.  I want to see the campus packed with people wearing our colors and fans visting our campus all walking up to the stadium in droves.  I want to hear the band marching across campus towards the stadium playing the fight song.  I want the on campus buzz that we don't have yet. 

I'm willing to give up the nice things we enjoy at Ray Jay and donate a little more to make this happen.

• Content Count:  6,850
  • Days Won:  22

agree with you KB. Im fine with RJS but USF needs to start moving towards an OCS, it may take 10 years but they need to get the ball rolling. The donations are not going to happen suddenly but they can start planning and putting money asside for it.

Archived