• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Westside of University is a third world nation...

Cow Pie

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  9,038
  • Days Won:  1

USF needs to ask the state for some redevelopment cash, or work with the VA to purchase and divide up the suitcase city area west of campus... this area makes USF look bad and is virtually lawless...

If they did it right they could probably expand the campus west since they are running out of room on campus...

??? Lawless?

I don't know when or what happened to you there.

But I've never had a problem there.  I lived in an apartment nearby (by Bears and Livingston) for a few years and always went in that area.

I think people overestimate how bad it is... or think its still as bad as it used to be (I've spoken to people who've stated its improved quite a bit from years past.)  And there are signs of new development and improvements.

Maybe I'm just used to Miami

I don't think that's the area in question.  I think he's talking about directly west of the school (medical school area) across the street from BBD, and near the VA hospital.  Where you lived isn't so bad.  Sounds like you lived in or near Campus Lodge apartments, which is/was very nice. 

He wasn't saying that's where he lived...the part right after that reads that he "always went in that area".  I thought the same thing at first.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  1,390
  • Days Won:  0

Everyday while driving into USF I get propositioned by dozens of prostitutes... when I leave in the afternoon I get propositioned by dozens of drug dealers. Sadly this is the quickest route from USF to 41 to the Expressway to get back up to Hernando County, thus I have to drive through it or waste any extra 30 minutes to take Fletcher, Fowler, or Bearss...

Last week when I went to the Wal-Mart to pick up something it was awful... like a war zone... the building is torn apart due to construction which is not that bad... what is bad is the horde of homeless people out front of the Wal-Mart, the army of panhandlers roaming the parking lot, and the squads of Sheriffs Deputies standing guard and walking around the store to make sure that your not shop lifting anything... you have to get a Wal-Mart person to come unlock basic stuff that you can just put in a cart at other places... its horrid.

The University needs to do something about this area... I'am sure that they could partner up with the VA and the Mall to buy the land and redevelop it into some nice bars, condos, and a small little college town area that USF is lacking.

I've lived on campus for 2 years and I have to say..... you're ******* delusional.

• Content Count:  1,716
  • Days Won:  9

Everyday while driving into USF I get propositioned by dozens of prostitutes... when I leave in the afternoon I get propositioned by dozens of drug dealers. Sadly this is the quickest route from USF to 41 to the Expressway to get back up to Hernando County, thus I have to drive through it or waste any extra 30 minutes to take Fletcher, Fowler, or Bearss...

Last week when I went to the Wal-Mart to pick up something it was awful... like a war zone... the building is torn apart due to construction which is not that bad... what is bad is the horde of homeless people out front of the Wal-Mart, the army of panhandlers roaming the parking lot, and the squads of Sheriffs Deputies standing guard and walking around the store to make sure that your not shop lifting anything... you have to get a Wal-Mart person to come unlock basic stuff that you can just put in a cart at other places... its horrid.

The University needs to do something about this area... I'am sure that they could partner up with the VA and the Mall to buy the land and redevelop it into some nice bars, condos, and a small little college town area that USF is lacking.

I've lived on campus for 2 years and I have to say..... you're ******* delusional.

I'm don't think he is. I think that he is saying that he took 131st down to Nebraska. That road goes through the heart of suitcase city. The Walmart that is there is the worst in Tampa.

As far as what Dixie has said about a partnership to buy the land: I don't see it happening. The mall is hardly staying afloat without taking on community service projects, the VA receives its funding at the national level, and USF receives its funding at the state level. The only way for a redevelopment project to occur would be to receive government funding or have a company take the reigns. The most difficult part of the redevelopment would be the response to the gentrification. Displacing people from their homes never goes well. They'll just end up in another slum. I've done some reading on the topic and I encourage everyone interested in the redevelopment of the University area to do the same.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gentrification

• Content Count:  7,693
  • Days Won:  2

your either blind or perhaps you are the delusional one... if you don't think its that bad then take a stroll after sunset... and yes like anjoo said its 131st street I take as a shortcut... no one else in the city takes this because if you breakdown you are ******.

• Content Count:  7,693
  • Days Won:  2

I'm don't think he is. I think that he is saying that he took 131st down to Nebraska. That road goes through the heart of suitcase city. The Walmart that is there is the worst in Tampa.

As far as what Dixie has said about a partnership to buy the land: I don't see it happening. The mall is hardly staying afloat without taking on community service projects, the VA receives its funding at the national level, and USF receives its funding at the state level. The only way for a redevelopment project to occur would be to receive government funding or have a company take the reigns. The most difficult part of the redevelopment would be the response to the gentrification. Displacing people from their homes never goes well. They'll just end up in another slum. I've done some reading on the topic and I encourage everyone interested in the redevelopment of the University area to do the same.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gentrification

Very interesting read...

• Content Count:  1,390

I didn't realize you were talking about that area specifically like actually back in the hood. In that case I agree somewhat. I thought you were talking about seeing hookers and drug dealers walking up and down BBD at the mall or something...

And I've been to the Walmart as late as 3 am before and don't fear for my safety in any way shape or form and apparently neither do the large groups of USF students I see there when I go. The kids that let it get to them just drive the extra few minutes down Fletcher to the Walmart on Dale Mabry.

• Content Count:  8,174
  • Days Won:  6

they should redo the whole target plaza beside bbd and fletcher... similar to the renovation done at the tampa palms publix plaza

• Content Count:  201

I didn't realize you were talking about that area specifically like actually back in the hood. In that case I agree somewhat. I thought you were talking about seeing hookers and drug dealers walking up and down BBD at the mall or something...

And I've been to the Walmart as late as 3 am before and don't fear for my safety in any way shape or form and apparently neither do the large groups of USF students I see there when I go. The kids that let it get to them just drive the extra few minutes down Fletcher to the Walmart on Dale Mabry.

The only thing I fear for at Walmart is what I might step in on my way through the parking lot. On 2 separate occasions I witnessed somebody fling a used diaper out of their vehicle as they were driving off.

• Content Count:  2,923
  • Days Won:  1

On 2 separate occasions I witnessed somebody fling a used diaper out of their vehicle as they were driving off.
  Disgusting Senior Citizens!  Are they throwing them from their Rascals?

• Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

On 2 separate occasions I witnessed somebody fling a used diaper out of their vehicle as they were driving off.
  Disgusting Senior Citizens!  Are they throwing them from their Rascals?

LULZ!  ;D

Archived