• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Bucs turn down HBO Hardknocks. Why??

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  74,712
  • Days Won:  424

You can reasonably argue the publicity is unwanted, but if you can "HONESTLY" see no advantage to national publicity for a team struggling for ANY publicity----well then that's just being argumentative. ;D

:o .... Yes, I can HONESTLY say that. Explain to me why the team NEEDS national publicity ...

If there was a significant financial gain to be made, the Glazers would have pushed it ... If there were advantages that would transfer to on the field play, Dominik/Morris would,have pushed it. Apparently, neither felt those advantages were there ... so there!

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  3,084
  • Days Won:  2

If this is true the Bucs are FOOLS for turning this down.  Distractions my butt...this team needs to put butts in seats an right now they're struggling with that, as well as selling merchandise.  We're not making a super bowl run, so give the 'distractions' excuse a rest, well let's see what they do on free-agency if there is ever a free-agent market, before even hoping for a playoff run.  Remember last year we had the league's second easiest schedule and went 10-6 and didn't get in.  We lost to every team we faced with a winning record.

There is nothing wrong with Hard Knocks, and it would be an intelligent way for the Bucs to introduce Raheem Morris, and in particular Josh Freeman, who could be a career franchise QB, to the world.  One way to not do that is turn down hard knocks, play in front of half-full stadiums with no national television games, against a much tougher schedule, go say 7-9, miss the playoffs, and then have HBO ignore the Bay Area.  Way to go Bucs....not only that the entourage for HBO's Hard Knocks is massive, several dozen production, and film crews that come here for over a month--- hmmm tourism dollars, and nice publicity for the area, an area that is suffering a published unemployment rate of 12%, and some calculate an actual unemployment rate closer to 18%....

That is a sure fire way to obscurity, turning off local fans, and certainly will make guys like Josh re-think their future in Tampa when his eventual free-agency comes up.  These were the kind of decisions that kept the Bucs in the cellar for decades.

exactly putting people in the stadium and getting some national exposure are the 2 benefits they shoudnt of passed on. 

Bucs have been off the radar since the Gruden days, what better way than putting them back on.  Young coach, new and improved 2nd year GM and a 3rd year QB.  A team that went from 3-13 to 10-6.  It just shows HBO wanted to catapult them to national exposure and lobbed them the pitch and the Bucs whiffed. 

It doesnt interrupt team unity.  Mark Sanchez said (though may be diff in NY) that with all the local media it was hard to differentiate news cameras from HBO cameras on the practice field.  Plus team gets to choose what and what they will not allow on tape. 

any publicity is good publicity.  wouldve def been a financial advantage. 

just read that a big reason the Bucs turned it down was Talibs courtcase and how it would have been one of the focuses of the show. 

if thats the case I can slightly agree with them turning it down.

• Content Count:  2,523
  • Days Won:  0

The Talib situation is part of the franchise.  Shouldn't be a reason to turn down the show, all these teams have problems like this.  Hard to see why any Bucs fan wouldn't want to see more of their team, I know I would.  Would be nice to put personalities with numbers and the waiting list evaporated.  They need all the free marketing they can get.

• Content Count:  4,016

You can reasonably argue the publicity is unwanted, but if you can "HONESTLY" see no advantage to national publicity for a team struggling for ANY publicity----well then that's just being argumentative. ;D

:o .... Yes, I can HONESTLY say that. Explain to me why the team NEEDS national publicity ...

If there was a significant financial gain to be made, the Glazers would have pushed it ... If there were advantages that would transfer to on the field play, Dominik/Morris would,have pushed it. Apparently, neither felt those advantages were there ... so there!

Do you not understand the concept of supply and demand?  If you have excess supply, and your prices come down then you need to find ways to 'increase demand'.  The Bucs and Glasers need to increase demand and publicity provides that necessity.

Like in the famous Yellow Pages commercial....'there is no one in Mama's Restaurant have you thought of advertising in the Yellow Pages...Mama is 76 years old, if we advertised everyone would come....(view of old mama stirring a pot)...and Mama would have to work extra hard.....we wouldn't want that on our conscience would we!?!'  That commercial says it all, you advertise and promote because you need to increase interest and volume.  The Bucs need to do that, and since they're not spending money on advertising as much as others is also a sign that this free advertising would be beneficial.  Furthermore, this would be beneficial to the Tampa Bay Area, it would bring needed tax revenue dollars, promotion, and tourism to the area...just by virtue of the television.

So let me get this straight...the almighty triple...Mr. "I believe myself to be omnipotent on this board" Triple?  You are basing ALL your argument on the fact you have zero knowledge but you believe, i.e. your opinion, that The Glazers, Dominik, and Morris didn't do it so there is no gain?  That's the basis of your argument that you 'ASS'ume those guys to be prudent?  Are these the same guys you are speaking about who that failed the Bucs in free-agency two years in a row?  The same Bucs that cut Derrick Brooks?  The same Bucs who the past two years were an average of $30M under the salary cap...which is akin to running a team like the Pittsburgh Pirates ownership does, basically stealing ticket buyers money?  So you choose to argue with someone based on your personal opinion that people who haven't always run their business prudently, to suddenly be prudent in their decision?

Really?  Had one of us made such a basis you'd remind us that there is no facts to support.

My opinion, and this is putting aside the necessity point, is the Glazers made an unprudent and selfish move....a very Glazer'esque move if you ask anyone who's done business with them before.  HBO Hard Knocks wants access to EVERY aspect of a team from player level to owner level and owners decisions as well.  We've seen Mike Brown, Woody Johnson, Clark/Lamar Hunt, and all the other owners have been front and center in the series.  Their decisions, their opinions, and their negotiations are part of the overall drama.  I "PERSONALLY" believe that the Glazers prefer to stay out of the limelight-- we know that to be their MO-- particularly big daddy Glazer....and they certainly hate to negotiate and discuss business publically.  I PERSONALLY BELIEVE (OPINION) that this was the impetus to their decision not something like worried about motivations or, negative influences.  My goodness Raheem Morris has been on every darn radio station that has a pulse, he was on Wild 94.1 this morning...dude LOVES the ATTENTION.  Dominick likes it too.  It's the ownership that refuses to compromise.

• Content Count:  4,642

no one cares about publicity in the NFL.  if a team in the middle of nowhere (buffalo) can be a top team (in the past) then that proves tv shows mean nothing!

just read that a big reason the Bucs turned it down was Talibs courtcase and how it would have been one of the focuses of the show. 

Your previous post said the team can choose what and what they will not allow on tape so how can the Talib courtcase be a big reason? If they actually don't have the final say, that's another reason I can understand them not doing it.

Bottom line is it wouldn't have been a disaster if they were on the show and it's not a disaster that they're not ... Moving a home game across the Atlantic, now that's a disaster.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  17,503
  • Days Won:  13

Moving a home game across the Atlantic, now that's a disaster.

They should move all the home games. It may piss off the 10k that actually attend the games fans but they will get over it.

Moving a home game across the Atlantic, now that's a disaster.

They should move all the home games. It may piss off the 10k that actually attend the games fans but they will get over it.

Thank you for your input, Mr NBA.

Your previous post said the team can choose what and what they will not allow on tape so how can the Talib courtcase be a big reason? If they actually don't have the final say, that's another reason I can understand them not doing it.

Bottom line is it wouldn't have been a disaster if they were on the show and it's not a disaster that they're not ... Moving a home game across the Atlantic, now that's a disaster.

I meant more like what they are doing in practice and on the field.  They didnt show much if any of that with the Jets, Bengals, Cowboys etc. 

They did show a lot of the Darelle Revis hold out which didnt feel right, but it all worked out in the end.  He was rightfully signed and another AFC championship apprearance. 

I think Talibs situation is a little different, he has an attempted murder charge which it doesnt look like he is getting off. 

Rutgerssucks, Buffalo was a dynasty back them they went to 4 (3?)  superbowls in a row, plus they sold out all of their games and had a national fanbase.  Bucs dont even have a local one right now.  For that reason alone this will hurt them, maybe not on the field, but fanwise. 

I watched every season of this show and love it and Im sure im not the only one.  You start to realize the NFL is going to start and one lucky team gets the spotlight. 

Archived