• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF Best Mens Basketball Players (In-State vs Out-of-State)

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

With Cox's departure, I really hope Stan brings in someone that's really linked-in to Florida HS and AAU basketball.

• Content Count:  4,016
  • Days Won:  0

Oops, wrong link, try this one

http://thebullspen.com/index.php?topic=32444.0

That's still just some random poster on here saying he was from Ybor City. The link offered in that post doesn't say anything about Ybor City.

A Miami Herald article posted on that thread says "The 19-year-old sophomore is a native of Tampa, playing his early basketball on an outdoor basketball court in the Ybor City area." Maybe they were still bussing back then or he lived there before his high school years ...

Wow dude, you can't get off the semantical debates can you?  :D  There is fact checking and then there is being obsessive compulsive. :P

Ybor is in Tampa isn't it?  This was 30 years ago in the 80's when they were busing, and the districts were much bigger.  I went to HS in Tampa in the mid-80's, and the number of HS's were unbelievably smaller, most were on three year schools then, and most had over 3000 despite that, and overcrowding was a huge issue.  We use to play Brandon, and they were building Bloomdale HS when I graduated.  Very likely Charlie lived in the Port Area (and most consider Ybor part of the Port Area) and was bused over to Robinson.  Nuccio and Centennial Villages are in Ybor, very low-income neighborhoods and in the 80's there were no HS's between Robinson and those areas.

We all know he's a Robinson HS product, a school that use to be good to us, remember good ole Cudda Patterson too!

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,640
  • Days Won:  424

That's still just some random poster on here saying he was from Ybor City. The link offered in that post doesn't say anything about Ybor City.

A Miami Herald article posted on that thread says "The 19-year-old sophomore is a native of Tampa, playing his early basketball on an outdoor basketball court in the Ybor City area." Maybe they were still bussing back then or he lived there before his high school years ...

Wow dude, you can't get off the semantical debates can you?  :D  There is fact checking and then there is being obsessive compulsive. :P

Ybor is in Tampa isn't it?  This was 30 years ago in the 80's when they were busing, and the districts were much bigger.  I went to HS in Tampa in the mid-80's, and the number of HS's were unbelievably smaller, most were on three year schools then, and most had over 3000 despite that, and overcrowding was a huge issue.  We use to play Brandon, and they were building Bloomdale HS when I graduated.  Very likely Charlie lived in the Port Area (and most consider Ybor part of the Port Area) and was bused over to Robinson.  Nuccio and Centennial Villages are in Ybor, very low-income neighborhoods and in the 80's there were no HS's between Robinson and those areas.

We all know he's a Robinson HS product, a school that use to be good to us, remember good ole Cudda Patterson too!

Well, Bien, I let your other error filled dissertation go on the dome because it was pretty obvious you were full of crapola but as a Tampa native, this one just cannot be allowed ... There is nothing whatsoever semantical about this "debate" ... maybe you need to double check the meaning of "semantical".

Since you obviously had a tough time following what was going on here, I'll go over it again. NY made a statement about CB being from Ybor City. I asked where he got that from because CB went to Robinson, as did I, and I assumed that he would be from my area, Interbay/Port Tampa. He provided a link ... 83 then commented that it was only a random poster that said he was from Ybor City ...(still following along?). I then pointed out that Ybor City was actually mentioned in an article from the Miami Herald, not just a random poster, and that maybe he really WAS from there, possibly being bussed in or living there in his pre-high school years. Please feel free to highlight the semantical portion of the "debate"...

BTW, Mr Tampa historian, you may want rethink this one:

Nuccio and Centennial Villages are in Ybor, very low-income neighborhoods and  in the 80's there were no HS's between Robinson and those areas.

;)

• Content Count:  4,016
  • Days Won:  0

Well, Bien, I let your other error filled dissertation go on the dome because it was pretty obvious you were full of crapola but as a Tampa native, this one just cannot be allowed ... There is nothing whatsoever semantical about this "debate" ... maybe you need to double check the meaning of "semantical".

Since you obviously had a tough time following what was going on here, I'll go over it again. NY made a statement about CB being from Ybor City. I asked where he got that from because CB went to Robinson, as did I, and I assumed that he would be from my area, Interbay/Port Tampa. He provided a link ... 83 then commented that it was only a random poster that said he was from Ybor City ...(still following along?). I then pointed out that Ybor City was actually mentioned in an article from the Miami Herald, not just a random poster, and that maybe he really WAS from there, possibly being bussed in or living there in his pre-high school years. Please feel free to highlight the semantical portion of the "debate"...

Nuccio and Centennial Villages are in Ybor, very low-income neighborhoods and  in the 80's there were no HS's between Robinson and those areas.

;)

Oh where or where do I begin with another one of your useless attempts to be argumentative and carry on a completely irrelevant debate. 

semantics are the study of meanings and linguistic interpretation of things....for example you say Tomato, and I say Tomato.  Therefore when someone like me says you're incessantly debate 'semantics' what I am saying is you incessantly debate the meaningless...the mundane, the useless interpretation of that which has no meaning.  You telling someone that their 'interpretation of the USF Sun Dome delays' is wrong and yours is right.  Hmmmm, that's arguing semantics...that's arguing the trivialness of how and why people say things. 

Like arguing whether or not CB lived in Ybor, and whether it and went Robinson HS.  You have no evidence that such a thing isn't fact, and yet you debate the micro aspects of this topic.  In the end Robinson is in Tampa, Ybor is in Tampa, so without certain proof from you whether or not he was bused, and where he actually lived is really useless debating..for which you are typical for....in the mid-80's I went to HS in a north Hillsborough HS, and had kids bused in to our school from 22nd and Lake area...you know College Hill right?  This was about 15 or so miles from our school, and there were about 3-4 HS's between our school and this local but the busing laws in FL were all de-segregation related so in counties like Hillsborough for many years they made sure kids were bused to all schools from all regions to insure no one school would be concentrated.  It's highly likely that CB could have lived in an area at or near Ybor City, and was bused, because at the time there were no HS's in Hillsborough County in that region...the closest was Hills High School, and then Plant, Robinson, Jefferson High Schools.  Major neighborhoods in those regions were the College Hill Area-- where Dwight Gooden, Floyd Youmans, and Sheffield went to play at Hills High-- the other regions included Nuccio, Progressive Village, and Centennial.  All sent kids as much as 30-40 minutes on buses each day to school...where else were they going to go triple?  In fact if I was out to debate the meaningless my bet is back in the day Charlie lived in one of those housing projects and was bused daily to Robinson.

Let's talk about the 'debate' on the SunDome.  I told you that it was obvious we were experiencing delays...well today USF came out to officially say it.  Probably because they could no longer stand reading the asinine thread on the subject with some guys telling everyone there were delays and mad USF hasn't explained why...and you arguing the exact opposite.  Your position was that Sunburnded link wasn't a 'demolition notice'.... ::), and until you saw one of those you refused to acknowledge any delays, despite the fact USF was making great pains to plan for the impending delay.

Well so you can now finally believe those of us, and me, who said it was clear we were delayed the message is out.

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/bulls/

MAY 09, 2011

Sun Dome delays will impact Big East basketball games

Read greg's blog and they even explain the points some of really didn't care to elaborate before, but it was so obvious USF has been delayed, but like I said the hows and whys are not my concern.

So fire away at my 'error filled assertions' champ.  Mine are usually more grounded then the crap you come out with trying to argue the semantics about the most mundane micro topics on this board.

;)

Oh where or where do I begin with another one of your useless attempts to be argumentative and carry on a completely irrelevant debate. 

semantics are the study of meanings and linguistic interpretation of things....for example you say Tomato, and I say Tomato.  Therefore when someone like me says you're incessantly debate 'semantics' what I am saying is you incessantly debate the meaningless...the mundane, the useless interpretation of that which has no meaning.  You telling someone that their 'interpretation of the USF Sun Dome delays' is wrong and yours is right.  Hmmmm, that's arguing semantics...that's arguing the trivialness of how and why people say things. 

Like arguing whether or not CB lived in Ybor, and whether it and went Robinson HS.  You have no evidence that such a thing isn't fact, and yet you debate the micro aspects of this topic.  In the end Robinson is in Tampa, Ybor is in Tampa, so without certain proof from you whether or not he was bused, and where he actually lived is really useless debating..for which you are typical for....in the mid-80's I went to HS in a north Hillsborough HS, and had kids bused in to our school from 22nd and Lake area...you know College Hill right?  This was about 15 or so miles from our school, and there were about 3-4 HS's between our school and this local but the busing laws in FL were all de-segregation related so in counties like Hillsborough for many years they made sure kids were bused to all schools from all regions to insure no one school would be concentrated.  It's highly likely that CB could have lived in an area at or near Ybor City, and was bused, because at the time there were no HS's in Hillsborough County in that region...the closest was Hills High School, and then Plant, Robinson, Jefferson High Schools.  Major neighborhoods in those regions were the College Hill Area-- where Dwight Gooden, Floyd Youmans, and Sheffield went to play at Hills High-- the other regions included Nuccio, Progressive Village, and Centennial.  All sent kids as much as 30-40 minutes on buses each day to school...where else were they going to go triple?  In fact if I was out to debate the meaningless my bet is back in the day Charlie lived in one of those housing projects and was bused daily to Robinson.

LOL ... Never has one typed so much and said so little. The hilarious part about this whole thing is there was never a debate. You obviously didn't follow my timeline. I pretty much acknowledged, in the very post you Quoted, that he actually may have lived in Ybor City and was bused to Robinson ... Seriously, start reading more before madly banging away at that keyboard ... and hopefully you did indeed realize there was HS between Ybor and Robinson, one that has been there for around 85 years.

Let's talk about the 'debate' on the SunDome.

Nah, let's not ... The fact that you intimated a construction Notice of Bid/Request for Proposal was a media "Release" by USF was a great indication that that conversation had nowhere to go but South ... Plus, I believe you called me "sonny" in that thread. I don't have to take that kind of ****.  :D

Guest nybullsfan

... and hopefully you did indeed realize there was HS between Ybor and Robinson, one that has been there for around 85 years.

Isn't there 2? Wouldn't Blake and Plant both qualify?

... and hopefully you did indeed realize there was HS between Ybor and Robinson, one that has been there for around 85 years.

Isn't there 2? Wouldn't Blake and Plant both qualify?

First, I consider Blake to be to far West to be between Ybor City and Port Tampa ... but I don't believe that Blake, or Middleton, were high schools at the time CB went to Robinson, anyway.

Guest nybullsfan

Blake was definitely around back then, but where it was (I think it moved once) and whether it was a high school or middle school at the time, I really don't remember.

Blake was definitely around back then, but where it was (I think it moved once) and whether it was a high school or middle school at the time, I really don't remember.

Actually, it would have been a jr high school at that time ... County didn't change to "middle" schools until later .. and if I remember correctly, it was on Spruce, a little west of current location.

Archived