• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF "Fudging" Numbers to Skate around Title IX?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  7,796
  • Days Won:  6

I do have two questions after reading the NYT article.

1) Who was it that went to these track athletes and asked them if they were on XC, and did they have permission from the coaching staff?

2) Does the roster on our website match the roster submitted to the NCAA?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

Upper lip stank-all over it....

• Content Count:  791
  • Days Won:  3

USF was slammed pretty good by the New York Times.  USF President Judy Genshaft, who's chair of the NCAA board too, in fairness to the women student-athletes at USF needs to step up and make it clear that women aren't and won't be treated as second-class aproned window dressing by USF Athletics.  USF just built a new softball stadium for the women, is building soccer stadium to be used by women...girl USF athletes aren't getting shorted the way the NY Times paints things.  If some things need to done to make USF more compliant with Title IX, USF needs to do the necessary things.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/27/opinion/27wed4.html

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

Perhaps, we should have added women's rowing instead of women's sailing.  ;)

The practice of "roster management" is common at football schools -- for instance, West Virginia's gender-equity data for 2009 shows 74 athletes on its women's rowing team, even though the roster on the school's official site shows only 26 on the team; Louisville reported 67 on its women's rowing team, with Connecticut at 61 and Rutgers at 51, all with much less showing on their online rosters.

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/bulls/content/usf-defends-gender-equity-practices-after-nyt-story

• Content Count:  1,180
  • Days Won:  1

I think the stache' still has contacts in the AD... I would bet a pretty penny that he was the one doing the leg work.

• Content Count:  3,084
  • Days Won:  2

i wonder if half the guys on the basketball team know they are on the team. 

• Content Count:  791
  • Days Won:  3

USF Athletics should be okay just so long as the girls on our cross country team weren't really dudes wearing wigs and make up like the men on the Cornell University "women's" fencing team.

• Content Count:  7,693
  • Days Won:  2

Just another reason why affirmative action needs to go bye-bye...

Financial success should dictate which sports teams a university has and not what is PC correct.

Guest Sunburned

Just another reason why affirmative action needs to go bye-bye...

Financial success should dictate which sports teams a university has and not what is PC correct.

Which USF sports teams are actually operating in the black?

• Content Count:  7,796
  • Days Won:  6

Another thought I had while reading the comments on the V5 Blod;  what is considered part of the team?

I ran track and XC in high school.  Ran the standard 5k in XC, and ran the 3200 and 1600 in track; so I was a distance runner. Now our XC team had close to 50 men and 60 women, but we were only allowed to race 7 in varsity races and the rest ran JV. Now a good number of the runners for both men and women were not there for XC, but were using it as conditioning for soccer, basketball, and track season.  For my freshman and sophomore years of XC, I was never higher than the C Squad (top 7=A, 8-14=B, 15-21=C, 22 and below=D), but I was part of the team, because we all fought for positions and that pushed everyone. So even though none of the JV runners were recognized as part of the team, we all knew we were. Well, since there is no JV in the NCAA, are those girls JV runners who will never see a race?  Just seems like a lot of gray area.

Archived