• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Major Uconn Booster Wants Money Back

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,523
  • Days Won:  0

It's all relative to how needed those funds were/are.  If he's the largest donor at Uconn and his donations literally prop up the AD, then you'd be naive not to at least give the guy your ear and work very hard to make him FEEL like his two cents were strongly considered.  Who knows, it may not even have been that his kid was benched, just that he has inside knowledge that only a player would know and to not investigate that with your largest donor is bad politics.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  7,780
  • Days Won:  7

Here is a copy of Burton's letter to Jeffrey Hathaway, amongst others (including the Governor of Conneticut).  This letter is a great read and will answer much of your questions. 

If I am donating $7million to the football program, I also would expect to be consulted on a new hc hire, not a veto, simply allow me to add my two cents or in this case $7 million.  At the very least not hear the hc hire from others long before I hear it from the AD.  This is a huge loss of the UConn football program, unless another booster is able to step in. 

http://www.ctpost.com/sports/item/Burton-s-letter-to-UConn-3855.php

• Content Count:  7,780
  • Days Won:  7

I guess I look at donations differently. I tend to donate in the spirit of 'here, this is for you' and assume that you'll

use it in the best interest of the enterprise. I do not, however, expect to have a voice in that - unless it's squandered

on alcohol induced stripper-laden parties that wind up in the news. In that case, I'll complain, and cut off future donations, but

to expect a refund? Not gonna happen.

Now...if I'm loaning you some money and have an interest in how the funds are used going forward...that's a different

issue, as I expect return on my investment. Does he see the 'return' as veto power in coaching decisions? What's his

background - other than having a kid who played at 'Cuse - relative to what constitutes a good coaching decision? I interpret

being 'kept in the loop' as you receive a copy...not you have a voice in the decision making process.

Then again, I don't write multi-million dollar checks, so the perspective could be somewhat skewed.  :-*

Agree if you are writing a check for a couple of grand a year, but with a $7 million investment into the football program comes much more say. 

• Content Count:  12,293

these type of boosters are the ones who control college football.  the mistake this guy made was letting this leak to the public or making the story about HIM.

ask bobby bowden about boosters.

Here is a copy of Burton's letter to Jeffrey Hathaway, amongst others (including the Governor of Conneticut).  This letter is a great read and will answer much of your questions. 

If I am donating $7million to the football program, I also would expect to be consulted on a new hc hire, not a veto, simply allow me to add my two cents or in this case $7 million.  At the very least not hear the hc hire from others long before I hear it from the AD.  This is a huge loss of the UConn football program, unless another booster is able to step in. 

Wow.  Folks need to read this before making any more comments on this thread.  I bet every university president and AD is reading that sucker and making notes...Like I said before, you don't have to let them make your decisions, but you better make sure they feel they are a part of it because like he said, public schools can't AFFORD not to and that's the harsh reality of the situation...Can't imagine what opening and reading that letter must've been like.  Not only losing his donations, but guys like this can quickly influence the other big donors.  Don't be shocked if there's a change made at Uconn before this first season is finished...

• Content Count:  7,041
  • Days Won:  11

Wow.  Folks need to read this before making any more comments on this thread.  I bet every university president and AD is reading that sucker and making notes...Like I said before, you don't have to let them make your decisions, but you better make sure they feel they are a part of it because like he said, public schools can't AFFORD not to and that's the harsh reality of the situation...Can't imagine what opening and reading that letter must've been like.  Not only losing his donations, but guys like this can quickly influence the other big donors.  Don't be shocked if there's a change made at Uconn before this first season is finished...

probably something like..... :jawdropper

and then .....  :hurlnew

but i have to agree....gotta read that before passing judgment on the guy

• Content Count:  58

31 million dollars. That's a a lot of **** money. I can see why he would be upset in not getting a say in things but showing your ass isn't going to help your cause. A donation is just that, a donation.

Having said that, i've sent Doug Woolard Robert G. Burton's contact information.

It's WAY MORE than $31 million.  You haven't even considered the FUTURE money that this is going to cost Uconn from this family alone let alone if other boosters jump on the boat...The kicker is this guy has football experience/relationships from playing and scouting that could've been pretty helpful in at least "assisting" in the search which is really what this is all about.  For that kind of jack you can't at least make him feel part of the search?  That's where the disrespect came in.  As much as he donated, you can bet he was getting peppered by folks with comments like, "As much as you donate there you didn't even get a phone call before this went down?"

I'm not a member of any Uconn boards, what's their reaction to this whole thing? 

• Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

They should have at least called him.  His son played for Pasqualoni at Syracuse and I'm sure Burton could have told him a thing or two.  I think it's obvious in reading that letter that Burton's 2 cents would have been not to hire him - Pasqualoni doesn't have the recruiting inroads in the important states in his opinion.

I think he came across as petulant, but he's given $7M, and his kid played for Pasqualoni???  Hathaway effed up big time on this.  I'd be surprised if he lasts through the week as AD. 

• Content Count:  9,038
  • Days Won:  1

No Givesies Backsies

takesie backsies*

Archived