• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Is USF trying to block UCF from the Big East?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  7,048
  • Days Won:  11

If Villanova didn't have the support, then they would have told the league back in December that they will no move up. What ESPN said "months back" doesn't necessarily hold true for what is going on right now. Villanova has money, don't kid yourself into thinking that they don't. The additional influx of dollars, coupled with additional revenue streams from the Big East TV network will only further help them along in this process.

What?? If Villanova HAD the support then they would had made the leap back in December, which they did not. Back in December the Faculty said 100% no and the alumni is absent. What we have here at Nova is a case of a President and an athetic director trying to drag a University into a BCS conference when it does not want to go. There is a clear impase between the President / AD and the Faculty... the one key componet that is going to make this happen would be the Nova Alumni which is absent.

Currently in April the Nova BOT is going to vote on this issue and give a final rulling. Per ESPN's report back in December there are 7-8 faculty members on the BOT that are opposed to football and voted no in December. Now I'm not sure how big their BOT is but they are typically no larger then 12 members. If I do the math that is a majority of the Nova BOT which is opposed to joining the Big East as a football member.

http://www1.villanova.edu/villanova/president/about_university/officers.html

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  7,048
  • Days Won:  11

take it for what it's worth, but sounds like it's picking up steam

http://villanova.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=562&tid=141245735&mid=141245735&sid=1000&style=2

• Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

If Villanova didn't have the support, then they would have told the league back in December that they will no move up. What ESPN said "months back" doesn't necessarily hold true for what is going on right now. Villanova has money, don't kid yourself into thinking that they don't. The additional influx of dollars, coupled with additional revenue streams from the Big East TV network will only further help them along in this process.

What?? If Villanova HAD the support then they would had made the leap back in December, which they did not. Back in December the Faculty said 100% no and the alumni is absent. What we have here at Nova is a case of a President and an athetic director trying to drag a University into a BCS conference when it does not want to go. There is a clear impase between the President / AD and the Faculty... the one key componet that is going to make this happen would be the Nova Alumni which is absent.

You honestly think that Villanova could have raised the necessary funds from the beginning of November until the end of the year?

They would have known before the end of 2010 if it was not feasible.

• Content Count:  4,016
  • Days Won:  0

Currently in April the Nova BOT is going to vote on this issue and give a final rulling. Per ESPN's report back in December there are 7-8 faculty members on the BOT that are opposed to football and voted no in December. Now I'm not sure how big their BOT is but they are typically no larger then 12 members. If I do the math that is a majority of the Nova BOT which is opposed to joining the Big East as a football member.

This is why ESPN began to look at who the Big East will add if the Nova BOT votes no in April... ESPN noted UCF, Houston, and one other school that I can not remember.I will try to find the video clip again and post it so you can see that these are the facts and I'm not making this up.

While I would rather see a closer team join the Big East, I'm not opposed to adding Nova because at the end of the day we are 1 more team closer to a 12 team conference and 1 more step closer to dumping the dead weight of the basketball teams (i.e. a split) and becoming a real conference in the sense that its an all-sports conference.

I would like to argue the case about attendance but that is a topic for another thread. I agree with you that Tampa has a fairweather fan issue, but I believe the transplants are the issue and not the natives.

Dixie, what does it matter if they have a few faculty on the BOT, over 2/3rds of Nova's BOT is made up of private citizens. All power elite with big pocketbooks.

http://www1.villanova.edu/villanova/president/about_university/officers.html

ESPN guessed, they guessed that Nova wouldn't, and then further to that if Nova didn't would the Big East choose to go further.  Read exactly what Marinatto wrote, and read the timelines, and the minutes.  Nova would not spend tens of thousands of dollars to investigate unless the BE said they would hold out until April for their final decision.

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

There is some talk on the UCF boards. http://ucf.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=71&tid=141475298&mid=141475298&sid=908&style=2

If this is the case. Give Woolard an extension. We should be doing all we can to keep them in CUSA. Lets invite Houston.

WE BETTER BE

IF ORLANDO JOINS USF IS COOKED

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  37,676
  • Days Won:  29

::)

• Content Count:  7,693
  • Days Won:  2

You honestly think that Villanova could have raised the necessary funds from the beginning of November until the end of the year?

They would have known before the end of 2010 if it was not feasible.

Then how did TCU raise the funds to join the BCS? Nova is a lot richer then they are and TCU forked over the dough in a matter of weeks. Now I know TCU's amount is not as much as Nova's but it was still a lump sum of cash or perhaps they worked a deal.

Still Nova is a very wealthy private school that has the dough. What is fudging up this deal is a lack of support by the Nova Alumni and Boosters. If they stand up then the faculty is mute. The Alumni and Boosters run that school.

I'm a pragmatist... is it possible... yes... is it going to happen right now without alumni support... no

• Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

Then how did TCU raise the funds to join the BCS? Nova is a lot richer then they are and TCU forked over the dough in a matter of weeks.

How long has TCU been playing football at the 1 A level?

They also just demolished their stadium and will be rebuilding it for 2012.

Read that Villanova rivals link and you'll see how much money 'Nova is looking to use and have much capital fundraising they are trying to secure long term.

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

I say give ND an ultimatum. Either join in football or get out in all other sports...Just my $.02

You do that and you risk losing them to the Big Ten. This would also hurt because I could see Delaney and the Big 10 adding more teams from the Big East to get to the 16 team league he'd like to have.

The Big 10 won't go above 12 teams unless they know they have ND in the mix.

ORLANDO TO BIG TEN

YEAH

COSTS WOULD KILL THEM

• Content Count:  3,649
  • Days Won:  4

There is some talk on the UCF boards. http://ucf.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=71&tid=141475298&mid=141475298&sid=908&style=2

If this is the case. Give Woolard an extension. We should be doing all we can to keep them in CUSA. Lets invite Houston.

WE BETTER BE

So now Smazza is FOR Villanova joining the BE if it keeps out UCF?!?

??? ???

Archived