• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Voodoo 5 piece on Nova game and BE expansion

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  7,693
  • Days Won:  2

My answer right now is still "yes." But I'm not really comfortable with it. Nothing has been made public but from the few leaks that are out there, there are tons of Board members that do not want it. Jay Wright definitely does (because he's smart and realizes if we don't, the basketball program could fall apart).

While it would be a smart move for Nova to accept the offer I just don't see them doing it... not in this economy which is only going to get worse in the 2011-2012 fiscal year.

I'll never understand this whining about the economy. I made double last year what i made the year before and am set to make about double that again this year. My company's gross went up about 15%. The whole economy thing is just an excuse that people have grown comfortable with using because its an excuse to be lazy.

Villanova would be absolutely crazy not to accept this. Their fans want it, and it will open the door for them to become more of a national brand and make more money.

All of you short sighted people who are against them because they are FCS right now should think long term. Eventually the fans of the football schools would like to split from the basketball schools and have a 12 school all sport, do you really want to lose villanova if that happens? Plus, think about name recognition. Villanova is more well known nationally than anyone we could add now, and they are in the philly market. Its a great fit.

I made a bunch of money last year as well but that does not change the fact that the unemployment levels are hovering somewhere around 15%+ realistically nationwide... in my county the unemployment level is about 13%.

Also everyone that screwed up their credit with the housing mess is not going to be getting any credit or loans, not that the banks are giving them out anyway, and is thus dead weight on the economy.

Gas is predicted to go back up to $4+ a gallon this year as well.

The economy is going to make Nova's leap very painful and I doubt they will get enough butts in the seats, not because I hate them, but because they average only 3K a year. Their stadium holds more then that... if the fan base was there then they would be filling up the stadium with or without the BCS.

• Content Count:  4,879
  • Days Won:  0

I'll never understand this whining about the economy. I made double last year what i made the year before and am set to make about double that again this year. My company's gross went up about 15%. The whole economy thing is just an excuse that people have grown comfortable with using because its an excuse to be lazy.

Dude, how many recessions have you lived through?  You obviously have no clue about how the majority of Americans live.

• Content Count:  1,241

My answer right now is still "yes." But I'm not really comfortable with it. Nothing has been made public but from the few leaks that are out there, there are tons of Board members that do not want it. Jay Wright definitely does (because he's smart and realizes if we don't, the basketball program could fall apart).

While it would be a smart move for Nova to accept the offer I just don't see them doing it... not in this economy which is only going to get worse in the 2011-2012 fiscal year.

Villanova would be absolutely crazy not to accept this. Their fans want it, and it will open the door for them to become more of a national brand and make more money.

All of you short sighted people who are against them because they are FCS right now should think long term. Eventually the fans of the football schools would like to split from the basketball schools and have a 12 school all sport, do you really want to lose villanova if that happens? Plus, think about name recognition. Villanova is more well known nationally than anyone we could add now, and they are in the philly market. Its a great fit.

I made a bunch of money last year as well but that does not change the fact that the unemployment levels are hovering somewhere around 15%+ realistically nationwide... in my county the unemployment level is about 13%.

Also everyone that screwed up their credit with the housing mess is not going to be getting any credit or loans, not that the banks are giving them out anyway, and is thus dead weight on the economy.

The economy is going to make Nova's leap very painful and I doubt they will get enough butts in the seats, not because I hate them, but because they average only 3K a year. Their stadium holds more then that... if the fan base was there then they would be filling up the stadium with or without the BCS.

Its 9.3%. Unemployment of 10% still means 90% of people have jobs. At its best it was at 5%. That means its up about 4%. Unless you can demonstrate that the majority of the people who lost their jobs are regulars at sporting events, its insignificant.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  22,723
  • Days Won:  109

Dude, how many recessions have you lived through?  You obviously have no clue about how the majority of Americans live.

Recession, what recession?

Love,

Bill Gates

• Content Count:  3,649
  • Days Won:  4

Does anyone really believe that 'Nova can generate enough interest to meet the minimum requirments for the BE as far as attendance is concerned? Ever?

In the past day or so I realized why the BE WANTS Villanova to join in football so bad. It did not make sense to me. Something I read makes it all make sense now.

1st lets address attendance. The basic gist of the rule is you have to average 15,000 paid attendance OR actual fans in rolling 2 year periods. Well this is easily worked around. Right now Nova averages around 8,000 fans per game.....leaving them roughly 7,000 short of the average. You schedule one off site game every season where you are the home team....i.e. You play ND at the Meadowlands, or Michigan at Ford Field as the home team. That 60,000 - 80,000 attendance from the other teams fans works for you.

So doing the math, you have 1 game at 60,000 and then 5 others at 8,000....you just average 16k+ per game. Also, do not forget Nova is close to visiting fan bases. Less than 2 hours drive from Rutgers, less than 5 hours for Syracuse and UConn, & 5.5 hours from Pitt and West Virginia.

Plus, in a bind.....you can have a sponsor buy up tickets if you think you are going to miss the cutoff.

2nd...this move is all about TV inventory....the 9th team (TCU) was about upgrading the conference....but team #10 is all about MORE football....the BE does not care who that team is.

See this post from a Louisville fan on another board....I will also link the thread.  http://ncaabbs.com/showthread.php?tid=472920

adcorbett

I Root For: Louisville

Facts:

- You cannot play 9 conference games with 11 teams: the scheduling is impossible. You'd have to have one team play only eight games or one team play ten games.

- You do not gain (controlled) inventory once you go over 9 teams and play 8 conference games, or over 10 teams if you play 9 conference games. After each of those threshholds, the number of games you add to your inventory is percentage-wise equal to the number new pieces of the pie you add. The exception would be if you gain a championship game.

-9 teams with 8 conference games represents a 28% increase in conference games while adding only 12.5% more teams. 10 teams with 9 conference games represents a 60% increase in conference inventory of 8 teams playing seven games, while only expanding by 25%.

Opinions:

- In general, a championship game is not worth the price of expansion in and of itself. If you are already at 11, it may equal itself out to go to 12 when you add in a CCG, but they don't add enough value to make it worth expanding from 9 or 10 to go to 12, if a CCG is really the only thing gained

- In general, you get diminishing returns with each expansion, going by the assumption that each subsequent team added, is less valuable than the previous team.

- Using the above logic, going from 9 teams to 10 only makes sense if you are going to add an additional conference game, because you add 25% more games while only expanding by 11% more teams.

- Having only nine teams will make scheduling a bit hard. Basically every week will have at least one team playing out of conference. Finding OOC games in the last half of the season can be difficult, and will mean a lot of playing MAC teams, who also have the same problem, if Army and Navy are not available.

- Even if a tenth team does not add enough on its own to make them monetarily worth the invite, the additional games they add to an inventory makes 10 a foregone conclusion. After 10, especially when combined with the further dilution of adding more basketball teams, is probably not a wise idea, unless some innovative way to monetize a championship game comes about.

-Football inventory should not be an issue if discussing a potential BEN. The Big ten basically shows one or two live football games a week, if that. Barring some really great contract, we will not have to deal with 4 games on national TV before getting to put games on our network. In fact, 12 teams, could end up with a situation where we are forced to put our own games on during the week just to get them on TV.

- Basketball inventory, the really mover of the Big Ten network, will be so plentiful that we will be able to have regional broadcasts on the channel, and still have enough left to syndicate after filling national TV spots.

SO basically....Nova allows you to add football inventory without having another basketball mouth to feed. TCU and their reputation are worth paying for.....BUT apparently the BE views essentially "another warm body"...i.e. Nova in football as more beneficial than having a better team like Houston or UCF but also having to add them to the all sports schedule and pay them another share of the basketball pie.

Sorry this post is so long but I hope it helps make the Nova situation make more sense.

• Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

Its 9.3%. Unemployment of 10% still means 90% of people have jobs. At its best it was at 5%. That means its up about 4%. Unless you can demonstrate that the majority of the people who lost their jobs are regulars at sporting events, its insignificant.

The real unemployment rate is about 25% in FL. But it's tough to find that stat on Fox News.

• Content Count:  7,693
  • Days Won:  2

Its no where near 9.3%... that is the reported unemployment rate which does not factor in those that no longer or never received unemployment. The real unemployment rate, of everyone that is currently unemployed, is somewhere between 15 & 20% nation wide.

In my county, Hernando, the announced unemployment rate is 14.3% and in Pasco to my south the unemployment rate is 12.7%... these figures are not the real numbers because like the national average it does not factor in those that no longer or never received unemployment benefits. The unemployment rate is grossly inaccurate because it fails to account for the total number of individuals that are unemployed and only counts those that currently receive unemployment benefits.

The welfare figures better represent the real situation and last time I checked nearly 48% of Americans are on welfare.

• Content Count:  270

Nova should stay in 1AA...and the BE should be looking at schools like East Carolina (geographic fit), Houston (a 2nd Texas school and #5 tv market), UCF (a 2nd Florida school) or Memphis (traditional rival for Louisville) if they want another football member. 

I just think a Villanova BCS football program would be very similar to Temple as far as support, financial stability and on-field success.

• Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

Nova should stay in 1AA...and the BE should be looking at schools like East Carolina (geographic fit), Houston (a 2nd Texas school and #5 tv market), UCF (a 2nd Florida school) or Memphis (traditional rival for Louisville) if they want another football member. 

I just think a Villanova BCS football program would be very similar to Temple as far as support, financial stability and on-field success.

Good post. Only thing is Big East won't allow them to "fail".

Archived