• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Miami giving HOT the shaft...

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  4,442
  • Days Won:  9

It's just the timing that's crappy. We sat in the upper deck at the OB in 2005, and Cheif's were put up there in their game earlier this year, so I doubt that was a surprise. From what I heard from the e-mail that went out, it doesn't seem like Athletics was expecting that kind of bill from UM

Well it could be a case of the Miami Dolphins ownership borrowing a page from papa Glazier... USF probably budgeted for what it cost at the OB. Ironically it appears that they did not factor in that NFL stadiums like to **** college programs of revenue.

Dixie... the amount isn't out of line... The band is capped at 350 members if I remember correctly... add in support staff and such and you're probably close to 375.... divide 20k and your just over $53 per person... take into the extra couple of security guards that are placed with the band while at the stadium and the price per ticket is not that out of line.

This boils down to USF Athletics didn't want to spend the money.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  9,038
  • Days Won:  1

They sat up top in the Orange Bowl back in 2005.

• Content Count:  296
  • Days Won:  0

what is protocol for bands?

Visiting bands pay their way. Why should the home team have to pay for seats that the away team is sitting in?

Maybe HOT should do some fundrasing on its own, instead of leaning on the Athletic Dept. so heavily. The band has been around for 10 years, there are plenty of alumni who would donate yearly, but don't want to be a part of the alumni band. Just like athletics has boosters, the band can do the same thing.

HOT's part of Athletic's budget I believe, and it's not much of it. HOT scrapes by as it is. The only money HOT takes in are band dues and CD sales.

• Content Count:  6,833
  • Days Won:  22

Well if USF is balking at sending the band because of this then is pretty small time in my book. If you want to make the UM-USF games a "rivalry" and then you wont send the band when other schools have done it and sat in upper decks it just looks small time.

Dont we play UM here next year? You charge their band 20k to sit in the upper decks of RJS  next year. Problem solve.

USF athletics needs to wake up and start acting like it belongs with the Big three.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  4,442
  • Days Won:  9

Well if USF is balking at sending the band because of this then is pretty small time in my book. If you want to make the UM-USF games a "rivalry" and then you wont send the band when other schools have done it and sat in upper decks it just looks small time.

Dont we play UM here next year? You charge their band 20k to sit in the upper decks of RJS  next year. Problem solve.

USF athletics needs to wake up and start acting like it belongs with the Big three.

UM's band didn't travel here last year... I wouldn't expect them next year. Believe it or not, HOT actually has a larger budget than the "Band of the Hour"... other than possibly FSU, they don't travel to many if any away games.

what is protocol for bands?

Visiting bands pay their way. Why should the home team have to pay for seats that the away team is sitting in?

Maybe HOT should do some fundrasing on its own, instead of leaning on the Athletic Dept. so heavily. The band has been around for 10 years, there are plenty of alumni who would donate yearly, but don't want to be a part of the alumni band. Just like athletics has boosters, the band can do the same thing.

HOT's part of Athletic's budget I believe, and it's not much of it. HOT scrapes by as it is. The only money HOT takes in are band dues and CD sales.

HOT Bulll's right.... HOT is technically under the control of the Athletic Dept and that is where all funding comes from. HOT, under past leadership, has tried fundraising but it never produced anything.

This boils down to one thing... money. The USF Athletic Dept advised HOT that they would be attending the UM game before the season started. It's been on their calendar of events as since atleast June of this year. Then 5 days before the trip the Athletic Dept pulled the rug and decided not to pay the money.

• Content Count:  296
  • Days Won:  0

In talking with the previous Director(not the interim), a few years ago HOT's budget was about 1/10 of Gator band's if that gives you any perspective and they are right around the same size as HOT.

• Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

About the Dolphins vs. Glazers example.

The Dolphins own their stadium because they paid for almost all of it themselves

• Content Count:  7,693
  • Days Won:  2

It's just the timing that's crappy. We sat in the upper deck at the OB in 2005, and Cheif's were put up there in their game earlier this year, so I doubt that was a surprise. From what I heard from the e-mail that went out, it doesn't seem like Athletics was expecting that kind of bill from UM

Well it could be a case of the Miami Dolphins ownership borrowing a page from papa Glazier... USF probably budgeted for what it cost at the OB. Ironically it appears that they did not factor in that NFL stadiums like to **** college programs of revenue.

Dixie... the amount isn't out of line... The band is capped at 350 members if I remember correctly... add in support staff and such and you're probably close to 375.... divide 20k and your just over $53 per person... take into the extra couple of security guards that are placed with the band while at the stadium and the price per ticket is not that out of line.

This boils down to USF Athletics didn't want to spend the money.

Well I was trying to polish this turd but I guess it just comes down to old fashioned penny pinching... oh well as a fellow cheapskate I still don't see an issue with it from a budget stand point. The timing sucks though for members of HOT...

Oh well Pitt Happens...

• Content Count:  4,259
  • Days Won:  3

This is probably a DW decision, who is known as an extremely tight and restrictive AD when it comes to funds for typical things that other D1 programs have and take for granted.  You will be hearing more and more of this as the years go on and his Napoleon complex takes deeper root. You Leavitt haters should realize that Leavitt was the dominant personality in this relationship but now CSH (and similarly the football program) is subservient to DW's whims.  Most coaches are NOT happy with his micromanagement.  When we start losing good coaches, that's when it will become evident to all.  DW needs to get with the program and realize we are a D1 program and not the St. Louis Bilikens. Either that or the president needs to cut bait with this self-important midget. 

Archived