• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Miami giving HOT the shaft...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,478
  • Days Won:  0

Doesnt Miami have the right to charge for the seats the band would take up? Makes sense. Be pissed at USF for not ponying up the 20k.

Exactly.......This definitely isn't Miami.

USF would do the same thing to charge another band that would come here.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  7,780
  • Days Won:  7

Not UM's fault....all comes down to the money, which USF didn't want to pony up. 

• Content Count:  7,693
  • Days Won:  2

HOT found out today that Athletics is not paying to send the band down for the Miami game, after the word being all semester that they were going. Apparently Miami wanted Athletics to pay $20,000 for the band to sit in the upper deck at Sun Life. Sucks for the kids that had their holiday plans scheduled around it.

I'm glad we did not pay that blood money... $20,000.00 to sit up in the noise bleed seats is crazy. Can you imagine the crap that would be tossed at HOT members as they filtered down from their seats, down the round-abouts, and down to a field entrance and then back up.

Also the band would only really play for the 1st qtr and the 4th qtr... they would have to leave at the start of the 2nd qtr to make it down for halftime and would take almost all of the 3rd qtr to make it back up.

Our stadium is about the same size as Joe Robbie, I wonder why UM makes opponents band sit up top. Our visitors section and band is down in the lower bowl. There will be hundreds of empty seats down there anyway.

• Content Count:  1,757

Its the cost of being a big time football program. 20k to most BCS schools is nothing.

• Content Count:  3,692

Maybe it's not about the money.  Maybe Miami just informed athletics that HOT would be put in the upper deck so USF said no thank you. 

• Content Count:  296

It's just the timing that's crappy. We sat in the upper deck at the OB in 2005, and Cheif's were put up there in their game earlier this year, so I doubt that was a surprise. From what I heard from the e-mail that went out, it doesn't seem like Athletics was expecting that kind of bill from UM

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  4,442
  • Days Won:  9

Maybe it's not about the money.  Maybe Miami just informed athletics that HOT would be put in the upper deck so USF said no thank you. 

That's BS... anyone who has seen any game at Sun Life either in person or on TV knows the visiting band sits in the upper deck... it's been that way since they moved from the OB. Hell... it was that way at the OB IIRC... my wife was in HOT when they went down there for the first game and they were in the 2nd level that time as well. This was either about the money or it was ignorance on the travel office for USF.

Either way... I agree with the OP about the kids being screwed... anyone who lives out of town is going to have a hard time getting home.

• Content Count:  1,633

what is protocol for bands?

Visiting bands pay their way. Why should the home team have to pay for seats that the away team is sitting in?

Maybe HOT should do some fundrasing on its own, instead of leaning on the Athletic Dept. so heavily. The band has been around for 10 years, there are plenty of alumni who would donate yearly, but don't want to be a part of the alumni band. Just like athletics has boosters, the band can do the same thing.

• Content Count:  7,693

It's just the timing that's crappy. We sat in the upper deck at the OB in 2005, and Cheif's were put up there in their game earlier this year, so I doubt that was a surprise. From what I heard from the e-mail that went out, it doesn't seem like Athletics was expecting that kind of bill from UM

Well it could be a case of the Miami Dolphins ownership borrowing a page from papa Glazier... USF probably budgeted for what it cost at the OB. Ironically it appears that they did not factor in that NFL stadiums like to **** college programs of revenue.

Archived