• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Georgia State to the Big East (eventually)?

RickUSF

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,390
  • Days Won:  0

I know where Georgia St is. I've been to both GT and GSU's campuses. And I don't see how it's not the same.... at the end of the day none of the teams are the most popular team in their city, even if the other universities are a couple hours away. Agree to disagree I suppose.

• Content Count:  3,475
  • Days Won:  7

(I really hate that you can't modify posts in this forum. It still makes no sense to me.)

Topics like these shouldn't even see the light of day

Well, I would have to agree with that too. Obviously there's no reason to believe George State is going to be in the Big East at any point.

But I do enjoy following new teams when universities field them. USF inevitably is mentioned as a comparison, but none so far seem to me to be in a position to duplicate USF's ascent. It makes me love what this team has done is such a short time even more.

• Content Count:  3,475
  • Days Won:  7

I know where Georgia St is. I've been to both GT and GSU's campuses. And I don't see how it's not the same.... at the end of the day none of the teams are the most popular team in their city, even if the other universities are a couple hours away. Agree to disagree I suppose.

If the University of Florida were located at the corner of 56th Street and Busch Boulevard, or whatever nearby area you want to name, I think it would be even harder for USF to lure local fans away from the Gators than it already is. Like, a billion times harder.

• Content Count:  521
  • Days Won:  0

What you guys dont realize is that Georgia State has a possible larger student body/larger possible alumni donor base than GaTech based on lower admissions standards for students.  In many ways, it is a lot like USF that just lets anyone and everyone in.  More students, more alumni, more money back to the program.  Much like us, the potential is endless.  There are way more GSU alumni in the Atlanta Area than georgia tech.. so in many ways, it is the Atlanta version of USF.  In atlanta, UGA and GT are like UF and FSU... the SEC and ACC programs locking down Atlanta.. It would be cool to have a Big East presence in GA like it has in the state of FL.

• Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

In many ways, it is a lot like USF that just lets anyone and everyone in. 

Really? I see your credibility flying out of your ass and out the window.

• Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

What you guys dont realize is that Georgia State has a possible larger student body/larger possible alumni donor base than GaTech based on lower admissions standards for students. 

Well this is because GT is a specialty school - if you go to GT, you're going to be some sort of engineer.  Can't really compare apples to apples there. 

In many ways, it is a lot like USF that just lets anyone and everyone in. 

Huh?  I don't think so. 

More students, more alumni, more money back to the program.  Much like us, the potential is endless.  There are way more GSU alumni in the Atlanta Area than georgia tech.. so in many ways, it is the Atlanta version of USF.  In atlanta, UGA and GT are like UF and FSU... the SEC and ACC programs locking down Atlanta.. It would be cool to have a Big East presence in GA like it has in the state of FL.

This is the only line I agree with you on in this paragraph ... and that's just because I'd love to see the Bulls play here every couple years.  The only comparison between GSU and USF is that they are both part of a large metro area, but that's where it ends.  GSU is crammed into various spots in downtown Atlanta, and definitely doesn't have the campus feel that USF has.  There's no possible way GSU could ever have an OCS - they'd have to level a skyscraper or two.  And the main difference is that UGA hasn't just locked down Atlanta, it's locked down the entire state, with the exception of a few schools that have large alumni pockets in Atlanta, but as much as I would love to see GSU play in the BE at some point, GSU would struggle MIGHTILY to succeed - there are far better answers for the BE, even years from now - assuming it is still intact. 

• Content Count:  2,994
  • Days Won:  4

GSU would be a nice fit for the SunBelt later on. I don't see how people think teams can just make these huge jumps. USF got pretty lucky with it's rather quick jump from FCS to C-USA and then the BE. I don't see many other schools doing it.

GSU --> SunBelt

FAU --> C-USA

UCF --> Big East

Holtz's ties to recruiting in Georgia are probably just as good as Leavitt's were. Plus, most of the guys who grow up in Georgia who are any good are going to be playing for UGA or GT, or end up at UF, FSU, Auburn, AL, or TN. Is what it is.

Archived