• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Georgia State to the Big East (eventually)?

RickUSF

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  521
  • Days Won:  0

this is very premature, considering Ga State started football this year.. but think about the long-term possibilities of Ga State in conference:

1. Atlanta Metro TV market

2. over 22,000 undergraduate students

3. playing in a facility like RJS (Georgia Dome)

4. more East than say, TCU or Houston

5. Hartsfield Airport with direct flights to every Big East city via Delta

I'm not saying NOW, but eventually it would be a nice addition, especially if the Big East is considering tiny little Villanova to make the jump up, this would make as much sense down the road.  Also, the Big East pounced on UConn when they were basically a glorified high school football program.

Somewhere down the line, we can kick out Marquette, Depaul, and Notre Dame in all sports, add TCU (Dallas), UH (Houston), and Georgia State (Atlanta) in all sports and have Villanova upgrade to BCS football and we've got ourselves a 16 team league in basketball, 12 team league in football with markets in:

NYC, Pittsburgh, Philly, Louisville, Cincinnati, Tampa, DC, Atlanta, Dallas, and Houston - imagine the possibilities if we were to start up a Big East Network in those markets!

• Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

Georgia State isn't even the top college team in their city, much less their state.  I don't see this ever happening.

• Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Georgia State isn't even the top college team in their city, much less their state.  I don't see this ever happening.

Of course they're not ... like Rick said, they just started football this year.  Did anyone see USF getting into a BCS conference within 10 years of starting football?  Our rise is unprecedented, but it's not to say it can't happen again.

Obviously since I live in the Atlanta area, I would love to see this happen eventually, since my Bulls would play here every couple of years or so ... but I agree that it is not even close to being up for discussion at this time.  But GSU does have a good quality coach in Bill Curry and GSU is a prominent university in downtown Atlanta, and has a good deal of wealthy alumni.  If they show a commitment to athletic (primarily football) success and are able to take away some solid GA recruits from the get go, I see no reason why they couldn't at least compete in about 10-15 years or so. 

• Content Count:  1,390

And the same goes for USF, Cincinnati, Pitt, etc.

• Content Count:  3,475
  • Days Won:  7

What is the bigger college team in Tampa? In Cincinnati? In Pittsburgh?

• Content Count:  1,390

UF, FSU, and Miami are collectively a lot bigger than USF in terms of fans.

Ohio St has more fans in Cincinnati than UC.

Penn State has more fans in Pittsburgh than Pitt.

And interestingly enough two of my good friends have close family in Cincinnati and Pittsburgh that are able to back me up on this.

UF, FSU, and Miami are collectively a lot bigger than USF in terms of fans.

Ohio St has more fans in Cincinnati than UC.

Penn State has more fans in Pittsburgh than Pitt.

And interestingly enough two of my good friends have close family in Cincinnati and Pittsburgh that are able to back me up on this.

That's not what Apis Bull said.

Georgia State is in Atlanta, right down the street from Georgia Tech. This is different from the USF/Florida relationship, or any of the other teams you named.

(I really hate that you can't modify posts in this forum. It still makes no sense to me.)

• Content Count:  10,565

(I really hate that you can't modify posts in this forum. It still makes no sense to me.)

Topics like these shouldn't even see the light of day

Archived