• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF Village Discussion

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  213
  • Days Won:  1

I have seen some comments regarding how nice a job UCF has done in developing their campus and I hope Judy is making plans for our future.  UCF has made the investment into making their campus a more traditional college environment and it's paying off in many ways.  I remember driving through the campus when they just finished building it and I was shocked. 

USF could create a very similar atmosphere if it was to build a football stadium / Dorm / Retail Village complex where the tennis courts / planned intramural fields are located.  Creating a plaza on that corner with shops and more dorms would make it THE campus focal point for the student population and a gathering area before football games.  Just imagine HOT marching through the campus from its new music school to the football stadium and players going through the Bull Walk from the athletic facility to the stadium as the fans cheer them on.  The grass field behind the frat houses would be our "Grove" if you are familiar with the Univ of Miss and their tailgating tradition.  I'll keep dreaming but we are next in line if you consider UCF and FAU being one step ahead.  Come on Judy make it happen!!!  I would be interested to here other peoples ideas on building something like this because you would think this is the logical next step in USF's growth as many non traditional universities are going down this path.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  10,369
  • Days Won:  7

I think I would prefer we continue our plan of creating a traditional college atmosphere through top tier, high end faculty and research.  Let the kids who want pretty buildings go to UCF - it will be a better fit for them anyway.

• Content Count:  7,693
  • Days Won:  2

A USF Village would be a nice and quick fix to rid us of that commuter school stigma... I could see this maybe happening in 2015-2016.

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

usf doesnt need on campus stadium

now if ftu/ouoc want in the big east usf should cut a deal with legislature for building of on campus stadium as part of the deal

without it usf would be at a distinct disadvantage

• Content Count:  2,569
  • Days Won:  1

usf doesnt need on campus stadium

now if ftu/ouoc want in the big east usf should cut a deal with legislature for building of on campus stadium as part of the deal

without it usf would be at a distinct disadvantage

Does USF have that kind of pull?  I mean I would be all for it if it were possible.

• Content Count:  1,913

Why would USF be able to do that? "Give us a $200-million stadium with taxpayer money, and we'll let UCF into the Big East."

• Content Count:  684
  • Days Won:  0

Why would USF be able to do that? "Give us a $200-million stadium with taxpayer money, and we'll let UCF into the Big East."

Ha I can picture Rick Scott ROFL

• Content Count:  225
  • Days Won:  0

I completely agree with you atl86bull.  Someone USF fan posted this on a separate forum.  He use to blast UCF and make fun of it.  Look at this post.  I do get heat from people on this forum because they think I'm just a UCF supporter.  I'm not, I just want what is best for USF.    I do like where the university is going with the building of the new Athletic Facility but I still want more.  Here is the guy's post.  It looks like it killed him to post this but he did. 

"

After going to the basketball game last night, I can no longer make fun of UCF as being a worse place than ours.  As we drove on campus the first thing we saw was huge fraternity houses- LOSS there.  They have a great little downtown area close to the athletic district for people to go to before and after the game-LOSS there.  They have their own football stadium on campus- say what you want LOSS there.  They have a brand new 100 million dolllar arena for basketball, which is as nice as I have seen in college hoops- LOSS there.  Their student section was easily 2000 strong and stood and cheered all game- LOSS there.  The real seats cheered just as loud as the students and were full- LOSS there.  Crater shot an airball in the first five minutes of the game, and got heckled the rest of the game, all game.  I could not of been more impressed with the atmosphere on campus, and I hate UCF.  They have overpassed us by far as a cool place.  I see why we lose recruits there.  If I was a kid in high school right now, I would go there instead of USF.

It pains me to write this!!!!!!!!!!!!

"

• Content Count:  1,055

I have not been to UCF in 15 years and a tear rolled down my face just reading this last post that they have passed us.

• Content Count:  3,475
  • Days Won:  7

After going to the basketball game last night, I can no longer make fun of UCF as being a worse place than ours.  As we drove on campus the first thing we saw was huge fraternity houses- LOSS there.

I fail to see why having huge frat houses is inherently an advantage. I know lots of universities that don't have huge frat houses on campus. Who cares?

They have a great little downtown area close to the athletic district for people to go to before and after the game-LOSS there.

Ignoring from the fact that the city of Orlando sucks huge loads of ass, UCF's campus is in a better location. There's nothing around USF. Congrats to UCF, I guess, they have that going for them.

They have their own football stadium on campus- say what you want LOSS there.

I would rather watch a game in Raymond James Stadium than in UCF's place any day. It's not even close.

They have a brand new 100 million dolllar arena for basketball, which is as nice as I have seen in college hoops- LOSS there.  Their student section was easily 2000 strong and stood and cheered all game- LOSS there.

I haven't been to a ton of basketball arenas, so I'll have to take the poster's word there, but there are huge renovations coming for the Sun Dome.

The real seats cheered just as loud as the students and were full- LOSS there.

Eh. USF drew huge crowds to Raymond James for the UCF games as well, though I don't know about basketball. One game isn't going to convince me that UCF manages to draw big crowds consistently. According to this site, UCF averages about 5,000 per game for basketball:

http://ucfathletics.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/010210aab.html

I think USF averages about the same, maybe a little bit more, though I couldn't immediately find a source. Here's a blog post from Greg Auman from Dec. 2008 which says USF averaged more than that in the 2007-08 season:

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/bulls/content/usf-considering-building-new-basketball-arena

Crater shot an airball in the first five minutes of the game, and got heckled the rest of the game, all game.

This would happen anywhere, including USF. If you haven't heard opposing players heckled all game long on occasion at the Sun Dome, you must be wearing ear plugs or something.

I could not of been more impressed with the atmosphere on campus, and I hate UCF.  They have overpassed us by far as a cool place.  I see why we lose recruits there.  If I was a kid in high school right now, I would go there instead of USF.

The person who wrote this had no idea what they were talking about.

Archived