• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF Village Discussion

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  521
  • Days Won:  0

USF needs to play catch up to the on-campus environments of UF, FSU, UM.. and yes even UCF.

You people do realize that College environment is more than just being in a BCS conference, right?  Maybe an athletic village like UCF's will bring people on campus/bring them out of their dorms.. as it stands, kids go off campus for entertainment, so we need to find a way to bring them back on campus.  As much as i would like a village like that, we need to build a stadium on campus first and then build a village around it.

I don't think you've spent much time on other campuses either... most of the entertainment in Tallahassee, Gainesville, Miami, and Orlando is OFF CAMPUS.

For example, Florida State students party on Tennesee Street and Downtown... NOT ON CAMPUS.

Miami students party in South Beach or Coconut Grove... NOT ON CAMPUS.

Heck, THE U has never - NEVER - played a football game on campus...

Don't get me wrong... I like the idea of "new urbanism" embodied in the plan UCF and FAU are following... and it might be a good idea for USF... but it will not be the panacea you think it is.

Wrong again buddy.. i'll give you UMiami, but kids do hangout at the Rathskeller moreso than I ever see kids hanging out at the Marshall Center at USF.  Kids at UF/FSU may not be hanging out on campus, but they are hanging out close to/around campus.  FSU kids hang out at potbellies, bullwinkles (walking distance and across from campus), and eat at places like pancheros.  all walking distance.  UF kids hang out at all the places across the street from campus, like Swamp and all those places along University ave.

UCF (and USF) knows that we don't have the luxury of having our schools integrated with the town, with the ability of having storefronts built right up next to the borders of campus (and walking distance for students).  UCF addressed this concern by building their athletic village, featuring stores and restaurants-- creating a community feel that USF lacks.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  213
  • Days Won:  1

This article is a little dated but USF should do the same on the northeast side of the campus.  We are half way there with the new athletic district being developed but we need the "USF Village".  Dorms and retails space would generate income so funding these would not be a huge challenge and it could be part of a new stadium project.

http://www.sptimes.com/2007/10/14/news_pf/State/UCF_finds_its_ameniti.shtml

Soon, a post office, a pharmacy and a convenience store will open down the street- near the hair salon and the English pub.

Yes, you read correctly: the English pub.

Here on the north end of the University of Central Florida's suburban campus, on a vast swath that was mostly grass and asphalt three years ago, administrators of the state's second-largest public institution are trying to shed their "commuter school" label by building a community from scratch.

"With our student body, we want to have a lot of things for them to do on campus," said Bill Merck, vice president for administration and finance. "We want living here to be a good experience."

To that end, UCF is using more than $300-million in bonds to create a town center where students can live, eat, study and revel in college traditions like football. The last of four dorms opened last month, housing a total of 2,000 students. The stadium hosted UCF's first-ever home game on campus last month, after playing for years in downtown Orlando's Citrus Bowl. Students already have a nickname for this new part of campus: the Towers, a nod to thefour seven-story, apartment-style residence halls that anchor the area.

No other state university in Florida is building these kinds of amenities on such an aggressive scale, and the move carries a double-pronged advantage for UCF. It entices more students to live on campus, creating a more traditional college environment. And it gives UCF a distinctive edge over universities like Florida International, the University of South Florida -- even the University of Florida.

Concert arenas, restaurants and swanky new dorms don't have anything to do with an institution's academic caliber, but the fact is, they matter to today's graduating high school seniors. When students tour a campus, they're as curious about the gym as they are the academic programs. Most would rather live in a new dorm than an old one, and the more restaurants and social venues, the better.

College administrators know this is what students want. Just look around the state.

USF is using a $54-million bond to overhaul its 47-year-old student union. When it's finished next year, the new 250,000-square-foot Marshall Center will feature a food court, a 100-station computer lab, a TV lounge, retail space, and a sports grill.

President Judy Genshaft promises, "It is going to knock your socks off."

Earlier this month, Florida Atlantic University trustees approved a financing plan for a 30,000-seat football stadium project called "Innovation Village," which will include on-campus housing and retail space.

But UCF is out front in the amenities race, say some students who toured Florida's public universities.

"My top two choices were USF and UCF, but I chose UCF for the campus appeal," said Sabrina Rivera, 18, an economics major from California. "It just feels more alive here."

Even a flagship university like UF, with its ivy-covered buildings and more than 150 years of history, doesn't appeal to some students as much as the smells-like-fresh-paint perks at UCF.

Winholtz considered UF but decided she preferred "all the new stuff" at UCF.

"At UF," she said, wrinkling her nose, "everything is so old."

This article is a little dated but USF should do the same on the northeast side of the campus.  We are half way there with the new athletic district being developed but we need the "USF Village".  Dorms and retails space would generate income so funding these would not be a huge challenge and it could be part of a new stadium project.

I suggested the NE side of campus for a stadium, but people say that there are wetlands area (yes, on campus) that are protected-- therefore, we can't build anything there.  I guess the only village area could be where the potential stadium would be, which is south of Holly, across the street from that Greek Row-wannabe area that we have.

• Content Count:  3,475
  • Days Won:  7

I suggested the NE side of campus for a stadium, but people say that there are wetlands area (yes, on campus) that are protected-- therefore, we can't build anything there.  I guess the only village area could be where the potential stadium would be, which is south of Holly, across the street from that Greek Row-wannabe area that we have.

I think you should read JimUSFSig's very helpful thread at the top of the forum answering all the on-campus stadium questions before you discuss this any further. Suffice it to say, you've got some bad info if you think USF is planning on building a stadium in the area you've described.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  4,442
  • Days Won:  9

I think you should read JimUSFSig's very helpful thread at the top of the forum answering all the on-campus stadium questions before you discuss this any further. Suffice it to say, you've got some bad info if you think USF is planning on building a stadium in the area you've described.

Actually, as much as it pains me, Rick has it right on this one. The tennis complex is being relocated in the next couple of years to where the current football practice fields/old softball stadium practice fields currently are. This will open up that southeast corner at Holly and Maple... just north of the track facility. There plenty of room for a future stadium right there... it keeps it in the athletic district but at the same time just across the street from most of the student housing and within a 10 min walk of the Marshall center.

Not trying to turn this into an OCS conversation... but it's the perfect spot for one and to date, there are no facilities planned for that area.

• Content Count:  3,475
  • Days Won:  7

Just about every post I've read from Jim ever has been thoughtful and on point. He consistently knows what he's talking about in a wide range of subjects. Every post I've read from RickUSF has been either Jim Leavitt-related trolling or other baseless nonsense. It's possible RickUSF is right, I guess, but I'll believe it when Jim or someone else with some credibility says it.

Just because you think there's room somewhere for it doesn't mean it's where the stadium "would be," which is what Rick said.

• Content Count:  213
  • Days Won:  1

Check out this campus map and see if you agree that this location would be a good place for a USF Village.  What retail stores would you recommend?  Here is my list...

- Starbucks

- Some type of sports bar

- Barnes & Nobel

- Pizza shop

- Super Cuts / Hair Salon

- Kinkos

Bring in the type of stores which would create an environment where students do not have to drive off campus.  In the future USF could restrict freshman from having cars (many universities do this) and it would help with parking and get rid of USF's commuter image. 

I put more dorms behind the village which would add another 1,000 - 2,000 students on campus.

Ideally a stadium would be part of the project but it would not be a mandatory if you build more dorms in the area.

This type of retail center should generate enough income so funding would not be a major factor.

Just about every post I've read from Jim ever has been thoughtful and on point. He consistently knows what he's talking about in a wide range of subjects. Every post I've read from RickUSF has been either Jim Leavitt-related trolling or other baseless nonsense. It's possible RickUSF is right, I guess, but I'll believe it when Jim or someone else with some credibility says it.

Just because you think there's room somewhere for it doesn't mean it's where the stadium "would be," which is what Rick said.

wow, a full post specifically directed to attacking me.  could it hurt you to stay on topic?  at least i try to keep my posts related to USF, and not directed towards other boardmembers.  stay classy

I just hope that area south of Holly stays vacant and unplanned, with the hopes of making it an area for a Stadium.  it would be nice if they actually came out and said it as such, because it would put a lot of us at ease.  From there, you can build a USF Village to stay on par with UCF and FAU's on campus construction http://www.fau.edu/innovationvillage/ (see video on bottom of page)

Check out this campus map and see if you agree that this location would be a good place for a USF Village.  What retail stores would you recommend?  Here is my list...

- Starbucks

- Barnes & Nobel

- Pizza shop

- Kinkos

Bring in the type of stores which would create an environment where students do not have to drive off campus.  In the future USF could restrict freshman from having cars (many universities do this) and it would help with parking and get rid of USF's commuter image. 

I put more dorms behind the village which would add another 1,000 - 2,000 students on campus.

Ideally a stadium would be part of the project but it would not be a mandatory if you build more dorms in the area.

This type of retail center should generate enough income so funding would not be a major factor.

I think your scale is just a bit off... so the fit would be a lot tighter than you might expect... but overall the concept is interesting.  However, the retail and residential space would not be able to cover any of the stadium debt service. 

What stadium did you use here?  There doesn't appear to be any club area or luxury boxes... and while students could use bench seating, the big donors will expect club-type access. Almost every college stadium has been renovated to add something like it.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,650
  • Days Won:  424

- Starbucks

- Barnes & Nobel

- Pizza shop

- Kinkos

I think your scale is just a bit off... so the fit would be a lot tighter than you might expect... but overall the concept is interesting.  However, the retail and residential space would not be able to cover any of the stadium debt service. 

What stadium did you use here?   There doesn't appear to be any club area or luxury boxes... and while students could use bench seating, the big donors will expect club-type access. Almost every college stadium has been renovated to add something like it.

I may be mistaken but it looks the BHNFP ... which even further screws up the scale. By the time we look at an OCS we're going to need something bigger ..

Archived