• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF Village Discussion

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  225
  • Days Won:  0

Who cares? Village? What are we in the "It's a Small World" ride at Disney?

There's plenty of crap already around campus and nearby. If you ask me, there has been a lot of chatter over nothing.

USF's character has changed A LOT since a lot of people on this board went to school there... The "commuter" label started to die years ago. If not for those people, the label wouldn't exist anymore. Shut your pie holes and talk about something constructive.

That is all.

Oh, yeah, you can keep your village and I'll keep the 4-0.

Thats a pretty stupid attitude to take. While I agree some of the whole "commuter image" talk is overblown, there is definitely a lot of room for improvement.

+1

i swear, some people on here will never give schools like UCF or FAU the credit they deserve.  Head-to-Head football records have nothing to do with enhancing the campus.

I like the new improvements.  We need to do what we can to remain on par with the other schools in the state.  FAU and UCF's campus initiatives are a great way of taking a step forward.  Hopefully, we can follow their lead and make something even more new and improved which would make an even greater selling point for high school seniors.  USF has come a long way since my freshman year in shedding the commuter school image and making it a great place to study, we don't need any more misfits like TheBullies to keep our university growth down

Hey Rick,

I agree.  I think USF can be successful at football regardless of this.  I hear people who described the feel at Miami and USC  to be much like USF.  It feels more like a city college.   There is of course school pride but those schools didn't offer the same type of college atmosphere that a school that is in a college town.  These schools (UM and USC) were still amazing in football.  

There are always exceptions that you will find universities that have the luxury of being close to a big city and but being separate enough to have a "small town college feel".  For example, I hear Stanford is very much like that.  It's close to a big city but it's far enough from it where it feels like a small college town. 

However, like you said the commuter image might be a little overblown from the alumni that haven't been on campus for a while but that doesn't mean we should thrive to improve USF.  So any idea that can help USF ..despite if FAU or UCF already did it.  ..should be consider.  Just because they did it first, does not mean its bad idea.  UCF copied their circular university  design from UCal Irvine ...that doesn't mean its bad just because someone already did it.  So continue posting your ideas.  Trust me I know for a fact  there are high faculty from USF who read this forum for ideas on how to improve USF...So keep posting

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  213
  • Days Won:  1

Other schools may be first but USF can certainly be better.  Can you say, student union, baseball stadium, softball stadium, football practice fields / athletic center, soccer stadium, track & field complex, basketball training facility - soon to come better campus life with USF Village.  We will have the best in the state when its all said and done!!  Don't forget USF is located in Tampa...

• Content Count:  225

Other schools may be first but USF can certainly be better.  Can you say, student union, baseball stadium, softball stadium, football practice fields / athletic center, soccer stadium, track & field complex, basketball training facility - soon to come better campus life with USF Village.  We will have the best in the state when its all said and done!!  Don't forget USF is located in Tampa...

I can't wait.  I drove by campus a month ago.

• Content Count:  2,558

"Simpsons did it Simpsons did it"

• Content Count:  8,174
  • Days Won:  6

can anyone tell me how this is more than just a dorm...?

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,652
  • Days Won:  424

can anyone tell me how this is more than just a dorm...?

LOL ....I'm with you. I think some are so worried about "catching up" with the rest of the state schools, they're grasping at straws.

And I'm not sure why a separate thread was started for this if it's the beginning of the Village ... ::)

• Content Count:  40

But UCF is out front in the amenities race, say some students who toured Florida's public universities.

"My top two choices were USF and UCF, but I chose UCF for the campus appeal," said Sabrina Rivera, 18, an economics major from California. "It just feels more alive here."

Even a flagship university like UF, with its ivy-covered buildings and more than 150 years of history, doesn't appeal to some students as much as the smells-like-fresh-paint perks at UCF.

Winholtz considered UF but decided she preferred "all the new stuff" at UCF.

"At UF," she said, wrinkling her nose, "everything is so old."

Two bimbos who major in worthless subjects.  "Yucky, everything at UF is old."  Yeah, but when you apply for your first career job out of college, and your resume says UCF instead of UF, the prospective employer will wrinke their nose, then wrinkle up your resume as they throw it in the trash.

Say no more ...

Why in the world would someone leave a state with by far the best State University system for UCF?  I can just envision this girl’s conversation with her parents about her college decision:

“UCF is so much better than Berkeley because Berkeley has some old buildings.  And I definitely don’t want to go to UCLA because it doesn’t even have an on campus football stadium like UCF.  As far as UC-San Diego, Santa Cruz, Santa Barbara, and Irvine; they don’t even have football so I definitely wouldn’t want to go there.  I’m going to cross the country, passing dozens of great Universities, and go to UCF because they have some new buildings."

I hope you realize that most californians don't even get into Berkeley or UCLA.  Unlike the Florida university system, the top public schools in state (UCLA, UC Berkeley) are EXTREMELY selective.  USC, not everyone can afford, and even SC is moderately tough to get into.. and then there's Stanford.  Yea, you already know about Stanford.  The UF's and FSU's of Cali are probably UC-San Diego, UC-Santa Barbara, UC-Riverside.  the USF/UCF's are probably along the lines of the Cal State university systems (fresno st, fullerton, san diego state, et al)

If i couldn't get into UCLA/Berkeley from Cali, I'd probably head to Arizona, Arizona State, Oregon, Oregon State, or UNLV (like most Californians do that don't get in)

I completely agree with your statement that people not accepted to their UC of choice go to AZ, ASU, Oregon, etc.  That was actually part of my point in that why would you skip over these schools to go to UCF?

I do, however, disagree with equating  USF/UCF with the Cal State schools but that’s by no means a slight on the Cal state schools.  The cal state schools are set up with more focus on preparing students for professional careers (which actually makes them better than some UC’s in certain areas) whereas the UC schools are public research universities.  The USF/UCF comparison to these schools was probably valid 20 or more years ago but now that USF/UCF have really increased their profile and volume of major research, they are probably more similar to a UC school. I am doing graduate work at UCLA and the academic personality of this place with the focus first and foremost on getting research dollars really reminds me of my experience with USF.  Obviously that’s subjective and I am not saying USF is yet in the same league as UCLA as far as research but we should all be proud that USF is well on its way to being a major public research university.

On another note, I feel like I am in football purgatory (the Bruins are horrendous) and I really miss going to Bulls games!

Archived