• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF vs UCF: Preview and game thread

Vega

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  74,511
  • Days Won:  422

The only misconception about the uptempo pace and USF, you need a PG that can get it to the guys running at the right time and with the right placement. 

Do we have one of those?

Bingo. And nope we don't have one of those.

********. All we hear, ad nauseum, is that we have the talent but Stan isn't utilizing it right ... That MUST mean we have a PG capable of running it ...

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  5,982
  • Days Won:  2

The only misconception about the uptempo pace and USF, you need a PG that can get it to the guys running at the right time and with the right placement. 

Do we have one of those?

Bingo. And nope we don't have one of those. Stan REALLY needs elijah carter or kelvin amayo, but with the way recruiting has gone, I doubt we land either.

Crater would be much better in a full court pressure defense and uptempo game. As Donnie Jones said in that kind of system the player doesn't have time to think, just react. He said UCF isn't there yet, but his team has a high basketball IQ so they are able to run some of the system. We know Crater doesn't have a high basketball IQ so he really needs to play in an uptempo system. Haynes is another guy who is struggling playing Heath's system.

I tell you right now, both Carter and Amayo would struggle in Stan's halfcourt system too. In fact the weakness on Amayo is that he doesn't do well in the halfcourt but is nearly unstoppable running the floor where he is allowed to be aggressive.

• Content Count:  5,881
  • Days Won:  7

Do we have one of those?

Bingo. And nope we don't have one of those. Stan REALLY needs elijah carter or kelvin amayo, but with the way recruiting has gone, I doubt we land either.

Crater would be much better in a full court pressure defense and uptempo game. As Donnie Jones said in that kind of system the player doesn't have time to think, just react. He said UCF isn't there yet, but his team has a high basketball IQ so they are able to run some of the system. We know Crater doesn't have a high basketball IQ so he really needs to play in an uptempo system. Haynes is another guy who is struggling playing Heath's system.

I tell you right now, both Carter and Amayo would struggle in Stan's halfcourt system too. In fact the weakness on Amayo is that he doesn't do well in the halfcourt but is nearly unstoppable running the floor where he is allowed to be aggressive.

Well, we're screwed.

Well they certainly outplayed a Big East team.  About as close as they'll get to an NCAA tourney win this season.

I don't know if they will make the NCAAT this season or not but I tell you thus, under Donnie Jones UCF will be making the NCAAT in the near future. Of course that's if Jones doesn't leave for a better job first. The guy can coach and he can flat out recruit. As a USF fan I can only dream about having that here, especially the recruiting.

Yeah, the guy can recruit his *** off... The thing we weren't sure of, and still aren't, is if he can coach... If he turn out to be a good coach, then I think your exactly right, we will see.

I was able I would trade coaches lol. Right now if you were going to invest on a future you go with Jones. Heath's poor recruiting is what will or is dooming him at USF. Cannot recruit poorly and expect good results and that is magnified playing in the Big East.

how are we supposed to recruit any talent with the TRASH basketball facilities we have.... have you ever been in the sundome? Its an embarrassment.

lets see how we can recruit once we get our bball facilities up and running.

Yeah I been to the Sundome probably a hand full on times. Also these upgrades need to start paying off soon like for the 2012 class. We need to hit some homeruns in that class.

Do we have one of those?

Well, we're screwed.

Well of the two Crater would have to be the guy because he can shoot the rock. Amayo would be in and out of the doghouse because he will want to run and Stan won't let him.

Do we have one of those?

Well, we're screwed.

Well of the two Crater would have to be the guy because he can shoot the rock. Amayo would be in and out of the doghouse because he will want to run and Stan won't let him.

I mean Carter not Crater. Noopy can't shoot at all.

• Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

If your PG has a LOW basketball IQ the system doesn't matter.  Unless my SF is Scottie Pippen or Lebron James I want him to give the ball to the PG after a rebound, then everyone get out and run.  Then the PG gives a pass where the finisher just has to finish.  Too many times a low IQ guard will give it to the finisher (be it a G, SF, PF, C) where they have to make an additional move, this usually end up with a travel, offensive foul, or an awkward shot.  What was supposed to be 2 points ends up as 0.

If you can't run a simple half court set as a PG (and Heath's sets are simple), how can I trust you to lead the break?

• Content Count:  259
  • Days Won:  0

Well I went across town to the game. Here are some not very coherent thoughts:

That arena is really nice and the atmosphere is fantastic. It was really loud and there was no more than 1k empty seats and the students were standing on the other side so good work by UCF.

Crater is awful. After his airball the crowd got on him every touch and it seemed to take him out of his game even more than normal. He should have been sat. I'm guessing no one good backs him up.

Donnie Jones is a really good coach. Everytime we came back and even took the lead he got his team to respond and close it out. I'm thinking especially if UCF lands in the BE that he will just wait for the UF job to open. He has to be the favorite for when it opens.

And Rompza is a player I'd love to have but hate to play. Throwing the elbow at him was stupid to close the first, he loves that stuff and he went off right then.

Would have been nice to see more USF people. Only looked like 100 or so. I know there are more alums around this area.

• Content Count:  4,451
  • Days Won:  0

Ahhh crap!  :P  :(

• Content Count:  1,077

Crater doesnt have any idea how to do the most simple things a PG has to do, like throw an entry pass into the post...heck, I dont think any guard on our team that played knows how to do it.  Heath wants to pound it down low but has no one that can get them the ball in a good position consistantly.

Archived