• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Dowling kicked off Gators, fit for USF?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

Can't have enough of great talent.  However, Oscar Myers usually has in his contracts that players can not got to "in-state" (meaning FSU, UM and USF) schools.  Popek came over though.  Just depends on how he was released. 

I think you mean Trent Pupello the TE not Mark Popek the OL.  Pupello then got kicked off the team for the alleged pistol-whipping incident.

Maybe, he was thinking of Julian Riley.

http://www.gousfbulls.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=37330&SPID=2981&DB_OEM_ID=7700&ATCLID=508872&Q_SEASON=2007

Curiously, I believe I read that Pupello tried to walk-on to USF this year, after no charges were ever filed against him. Perhaps, he wasn't cleared to play because of his previous injury or Holtz just didn't want him.

• Content Count:  3,802
  • Days Won:  3

Safety is a pretty strong position for USF. Talked to Rick Smith today, and he's very optimistics about Mark Joyce and JaQuez Jenkins ...

This. I'm not too worried about our future at the S positions. We could use some more depth though. Joyce, Jenkins, Leijiste should hold it down for the foreseeable future though.

• Content Count:  7,780
  • Days Won:  7

Can't have enough of great talent.  However, Oscar Myers usually has in his contracts that players can not got to "in-state" (meaning FSU, UM and USF) schools.  Popek came over though.  Just depends on how he was released. 

Really?  Didn't realize that type of language (non compete) was signed by the recruits.  I would imagine there would be grounds to challenge that type of language especially if he came to us. 

• Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

Really?  Didn't realize that type of language (non compete) was signed by the recruits.  I would imagine there would be grounds to challenge that type of language especially if he came to us. 

It doesn't really matter what he signed NCAA regs don't allow for transfer w/o sitting out a year. If he was given a release by his original institution he can transfer w/o penalty(I think). Disclaimer: Even attorneys discussing this subject can't agree what the rules say. the conferences have a whole set of rules as well but they wouldn'y apply here.

• Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

It doesn't really matter what he signed NCAA regs don't allow for transfer w/o sitting out a year. If he was given a release by his original institution he can transfer w/o penalty(I think). Disclaimer: Even attorneys discussing this subject can't agree what the rules say. the conferences have a whole set of rules as well but they wouldn'y apply here.

They do if a player obtains a hardship waiver, doesn't apply in this case though

• Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

If a player asks to transfer then coaches do sometimes restrict where they can go.  Some coaches, like Spurrier, place no restrictions.  However, if a player is dismissed from a school then there is no restriction on where a player may go.  However, you still have to sit out a year.

Two situations where you do not have to sit out a year involvw hardship waivers (Tyrone McKenzie, Ryan Schmidt, Jamar Taylor, etc) and players who graduated and have eligibility left then going to another school for a master's not offered at the first school (Grant Gregory from usf to KSU).

If a player asks to transfer then coaches do sometimes restrict where they can go.  Some coaches, like Spurrier, place no restrictions.  However, if a player is dismissed from a school then there is no restriction on where a player may go.  However, you still have to sit out a year.

Two situations where you do not have to sit out a year involvw hardship waivers (Tyrone McKenzie, Ryan Schmidt, Jamar Taylor, etc) and players who graduated and have eligibility left then going to another school for a master's not offered at the first school (Grant Gregory from usf to KSU).

Sanjay, respectfully, I don't think a school can restrict a students transfer, the only leverage  they have is over the receiving schools being able to accept a transfer if bound by conference rules. Do you know differently?  I can't imagine some contract, signed with a minor, in most cases is binding, even if entered into on his behalf by a guardian. I have read a bit about this and most legal minds think that that would violate antitrust laws, not to say that a receiving institution wouldn't bow to it to avoid the legal threat.

Here are the citations from the NCAA

National Letter of Intent — The Eligibility

Center administers the National Letter of

Intent program, not the NCAA. NCAA schools

that are part of the program send a National

Letters of Intent to prospective student athletes

they have recruited to participate in

their intercollegiate sports programs.

The letters are legally-binding contracts.

They explain what athletics financial aid the

school agrees to provide the student for

one full academic year, only if the student

is admitted to the school and is eligible for

financial aid under NCAA rules. If you sign a

National Letter of Intent, you agree to attend

that school for one academic year and other

schools that are part of the National Letter of

Intent program can no longer recruit you. For

more information, go to

http://www.national-letter.org.

NCAA — also National Collegiate

Permission-to-contact letter —or written

permission to contact — If you are enrolled

full time in a four-year school, athletics

staff members from an NCAA school

cannot contact you or your parents unless

they first have a letter from your current

athletics director (or athletics administrator

designated by the athletics director). If your

current school does not grant you written

permission-to-contact, the new school

cannot encourage

you to transfer and —

in Divisions I and II — cannot give you an

athletics scholarship until you have attended

the new school for one academic year. If you

are transferring from a school that is not a

member of the NCAA or NAIA, you do not

need a permission-to-contact letter.

One-time transfer exception — You may be

immediately able to play a sport at your new

school if you:

n Do not transfer to a Division I school for

baseball, men's or women's basketball,

football or men’s ice hockey (unless

you were not recruited by the original

institution and have never received

athletically related financial aid);

n Have never transferred before from a four year

school;

n Are both academically and athletically

eligible; and

n Receive a release agreement from the

school from which you are transferring.

I really don't think an NCAA school wants to risk the exposure of being seen to be the bad guy by limiting a student's ability to transfer. USCw was trying to play chicken like that(after their sanctions) but they eventually folded because they may not have a legally defensible argument and certainly didn't want to risk the public backlash.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,587
  • Days Won:  424

Sanjay, respectfully, I don't think a school can restrict a students transfer,

According to this, it appears they can:

No. Just as the National Letter of Intent is a voluntary agreement, granting a complete release is voluntary. If an institution denies your request for a complete release, you may petition the NLI Policy & Review Committee for such a release. In order to file an appeal, you must provide a copy of the NLI Release Request Form, signed by the director of athletics, indicating "No Release." Once proper documentation has been submitted, the NLI Policy & Review Committee will consider your request.

Appeals to the NLI Policy & Review Committee should be sent to the NLI Program, PO Box 7132, Indianapolis, Indiana, 46207-7132.

You can find a copy of the NLI Release Request Form and the Appeals Form in the Document Library.

http://tinyurl.com/2ayzo8m

If the schools didn't have some kind of leg to stand on, the Robert Marve Saga wouldn't have been the Robert Marve Saga ...

• Content Count:  1,757
  • Days Won:  0

Sanjay, respectfully, I don't think a school can restrict a students transfer, the only leverage  they have is over the receiving schools being able to accept a transfer if bound by conference rules. Do you know differently?  I can't imagine some contract, signed with a minor, in most cases is binding, even if entered into on his behalf by a guardian. I have read a bit about this and most legal minds think that that would violate antitrust laws, not to say that a receiving institution wouldn't bow to it to avoid the legal threat.

Miami was able to do it with Marve

Archived