• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Future at the CB position?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

How does everyone feel about our DBs? I am concerned about next season unless T-Rex is the real deal.

Raymond has done a tremendous job so far. It's amazing that he was playing safety last year. Probably the best tackling CB that we have ever had, and he's not too bad in coverage.

Washington to me is serviceable, but not great by any means at this point. He's OK in coverage, and a decent tackler, he makes some pretty good plays in the run game, but I don't think that anyone fears him on the field. He is one of those guys that quietly does a good job every game, but won't have a lot of "big time" plays to talk about. I think he will continue to improve, and may be very solid next season.

Webster is where I am concerned. He is a huge talent, but it always seems like on third down, opposing offenses look his direction. I think size may be his big issue. The first Cincy TD, he actually had good position, but wasn't able to fight off a little push by the receiver, and wasn't big/strong enough to wrestle the ball away from the WR even though he had a hand in there. Maybe it's just strength, but he seems to be getting beat quite a bit recently.

I haven't seen enough from the other guys to know one way or another how they will do with more playing time/pressure. Baker seems OK. I think this is going to be a big area of need next season. Will Dixon, Baker, Butler, Mitchell step up, or will we see Young or LeJiste moving over to corner so that Jenkins/Joyce get more time at safety?

It seems like if we had a true corner ready to step up, Raymond wouldn't have been moved over this season. Hope that the other guys can get some reps as we progress through this season, build some bulk in the weight room, and get themselves ready to compete next season.

• Content Count:  1,079
  • Days Won:  0

I was thinking about this during the Cinci game while watching "skinny" play some great fotball. My problem with Washington is his footwork, he seems to fall and slip quite a bit and thats the last thing we need from a corner.  I'm hoping George Baker can progress like he did this past off season. With T-Rex we have some serious potential it's just a matter of him adjusting to the position (safety in HS) and the scheme's, which take time and I think we have some great teachers on our coaching staff. Kayvon Webster is another guy I have hope for to get better this offseason, he played quite a bit last year for us. Hopefully we can sell some recruits on the way were putting defensive players into the NFL.

• Content Count:  993

I think Smith is a pretty good coach.  I couldn't tell you who will emerge but Dixon, Mitchell, Webster, Bryant, and Baker will yield a couple solid guys for the next two years. 

• Content Count:  919

Funny, I had been giving this some thought lately too.  It started by watching how Raymond played against Cincy.  It was the best CB play I've seen at USF in a long time.  He sat on those routes, read the QB, and broke on the ball.  Even on the one play he got beat deep and called for pass interference (bogus call IMO), he beat the WR to the ball.

Anyway, I haven't seen any of that from the other corners on the team.  They all play so soft.  Q is OK and hopefully will continue to improve with the current staff.  Just when I think he's stepping up, he will get beat like a dog. 

Webster just plays to soft IMO.  Like he's afraid to get beat deep.  Again, hoping for continuous improvement.

Hope the move to WR doesn't hurt T-Rex develop at corner.  He's a player, and can be a great corner IMO. 

Dixon has looked good from what little I've seen.  Not sure why he doesn't get more of a look.

Baker - same as Webster.

Need to recruit the next great ones.

• Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

#2 is a bad corner

• Content Count:  1,570
  • Days Won:  1

Webster should be switch to free safety. He might be better suited there.

• Content Count:  3,030
  • Days Won:  2

wow, i dont even know what to say......Washington has looked really bad in every game, opponents are always finding him and throwing his way.....Webster has looked much better than #2

• Content Count:  2,484
  • Days Won:  1

wow, i dont even know what to say......Washington has looked really bad in every game, opponents are always finding him and throwing his way.....Webster has looked much better than #2

I could not agree more

Guest Scherdin

kind of hard to judge so far since in the Cinncy game, the DB's were obviously told to play off WR and allow the short stuff to keep every thing in front of them.  As for the other games, we haven't given up the long ball, had as many PI's penalties or a bunch of blown coverages like the past couple of seasons.  Plus we aren't exactly harassing or pressuring the other QB either, so these guys are out there on islands.

• Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

kind of hard to judge so far since in the Cinncy game, the DB's were obviously told to play off WR and allow the short stuff to keep every thing in front of them.  As for the other games, we haven't given up the long ball, had as many PI's penalties or a bunch of blown coverages like the past couple of seasons.  Plus we aren't exactly harassing or pressuring the other QB either, so these guys are out there on islands.

#2 is often out of position or losing his footing. Its scary how suspect the corner opposite of Raymond is. I haven't caught all the games, but the ones I have watched have not been pretty over there.

Archived