• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Didn't get to see the WVa game. Just watching on DVR

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  4,741
  • Days Won:  3

Under normal circumstances I would agree that wasn't the time or place, but we hadn't done anything on offense for basically 8 quarters.  The team needed a spark and like I said, BJ was instructed only to take the shot if it were there.  If he throws it to the receiver's left and low, instead of right and high, we're not talking about it right now.

it was a 15 yard route. complete it and we are at our own 29 yard line. what good does that do?

I could understand if they threw it 60 yards down field, maybe. even that would have been stupid risking a sack/fumble.

Yes, it was a 15 yard route, but the receiver was open and you don't know what the YAC would have been.  They had time to get into field goal range.  Again, I agree it was risky (obviously).

there were 3 guys on the receiver. he was not open.

we needed 60 yards in 50 seconds to get into field goal range.

we had 202 for the entire game.

That works out to 3.36 yards per minute.

Giving them an easy TD within 1 minute of the half essentially gave the game away.

BTW they tried to pass the ball inside our 30 just before the half against both WKU and UF.

Both resulted in interceptions and in the case of UF it cost us momentum and a first half shutout.

You would think the coaches would have learned better. I guess not.

Not defending bj daniels level of play this year but there was one defender behind Landi and Landi made no effort to come back to the ball. Carlton Mitchell (#1), AJ Love (#2) and Dontavia Bogan (#3) (the starting 3 receivers we thought BJ would be going to at the end of last year) would have sensed the defender on his back and made an effort to come back to ball. Other two INTs were bad.

He lost 7 of his top 8 receivers from last year. that doesn't help any developing QB.

the coaches have not been putting him into great positions.

He was asked to pass the ball inside our 30 with under a minute left in the half in 3 games this year.

twice on the road.

all 3times resulted in interceptions.

that's terrible situational play calling.

I agree, to call anything other than a kneel down is bad. What great position should we put him in? Wide Out? As has been stated, we ran the read option offense, and he still looked terrible. BJ has played enough football, to know that you don't try and throw into a tight situation in that scenario. At least he should know. Fault lies with the coaches and the players. Like Chris Spielman said while broadcasting the uf game. Coaches can call the plays but the players have to execute them.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  4,501
  • Days Won:  0

There's a willing suspension of candor these days.  Unfortunately this program went through a change that divided its fans and now those that previously laid all blame (necessary and unnecessary) on the HC can lay none there now.  Calling it a "rebuilding" is also part of the ruse.  Hopefully we get through this mess in one piece.

all wv did against bj is the same thing that syracuse, florida did and rutgers did last year.  the gameplan is there.

That is also how Cincinnati & Rutgers defended us while Grothe was QB as well.  This has been the formula on how to stop our offense for years......

Ahh Bull Dozer - we have average almost 20 points a game against Cinci while in the BE.  It may not be great but isn't like they completely shut us down.

The 05 and 07 games prop up the scoring average, in 05 Cinci only won 4 games and fielded it's worst team since coming into the BE.  Other than those two years we have struggled to put up points against Cinci since the move to the BE. 

ok so it worked in 06 and 08 .  Not so much in 09,07 & 05.  I don't know if that sounds like a formula for regular success.  I would say Cinci beat us with offense more so then beating us with defense.  just imo.

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

Under normal circumstances I would agree that wasn't the time or place, but we hadn't done anything on offense for basically 8 quarters.  The team needed a spark and like I said, BJ was instructed only to take the shot if it were there.  If he throws it to the receiver's left and low, instead of right and high, we're not talking about it right now.

it was a 15 yard route. complete it and we are at our own 29 yard line. what good does that do?

I could understand if they threw it 60 yards down field, maybe. even that would have been stupid risking a sack/fumble.

Yes, it was a 15 yard route, but the receiver was open and you don't know what the YAC would have been.  They had time to get into field goal range.  Again, I agree it was risky (obviously).

there were 3 guys on the receiver. he was not open.

we needed 60 yards in 50 seconds to get into field goal range.

we had 202 for the entire game.

That works out to 3.36 yards per minute.

Giving them an easy TD within 1 minute of the half essentially gave the game away.

BTW they tried to pass the ball inside our 30 just before the half against both WKU and UF.

Both resulted in interceptions and in the case of UF it cost us momentum and a first half shutout.

You would think the coaches would have learned better. I guess not.

Not defending bj daniels level of play this year but there was one defender behind Landi and Landi made no effort to come back to the ball. Carlton Mitchell (#1), AJ Love (#2) and Dontavia Bogan (#3) (the starting 3 receivers we thought BJ would be going to at the end of last year) would have sensed the defender on his back and made an effort to come back to ball. Other two INTs were bad.

He lost 7 of his top 8 receivers from last year. that doesn't help any developing QB.

the coaches have not been putting him into great positions.

He was asked to pass the ball inside our 30 with under a minute left in the half in 3 games this year.

twice on the road.

all 3times resulted in interceptions.

that's terrible situational play calling.

I agree, to call anything other than a kneel down is bad. What great position should we put him in? Wide Out? As has been stated, we ran the read option offense, and he still looked terrible. BJ has played enough football, to know that you don't try and throw into a tight situation in that scenario. At least he should know. Fault lies with the coaches and the players. Like Chris Spielman said while broadcasting the uf game. Coaches can call the plays but the players have to execute them.

He may have looked terrible but our RBs averaged almost 6 yards per carry. why only run them a total of 12 times?

Take out the sacks and Bj ran 10 times for 24 yards. Not a good game at all but obviously they were keying on him and the RBs were having success.

Like I said, the coaches asked him to pass the ball twice inside our 30 with under a minute to go in the half (UF and WKU) before they did in this situation. it was intercepted both times and they still call that play. dumb.

Miss State called 9 pass plays in order to beat the Gators.

Their QB situation is very similar to ours except their QB run to pass ratio is 1:1

ours is 3:1 (139-52) last year his ratio was 1.48:1

BJ Daniels is not the type of QB that needs to pass three times as much as he runs. I don't understand how these coaches can't see that.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,626
  • Days Won:  424

Yes, that was why Lou Holtz said Skip should've been more conservative that late in the half, that deep in their on territory.

He should have, but only because BJ has demonstrated he cannot be trusted in those situations. 

I wouldn't say it's that more than it's that we were on our 14 yard line and don't have the offense to get in field goal range in 50 seconds.

Seriously, how many teams would actually throw the ball in that situation, in a close game, no matter how their offense is?

I actually like the call.  You're trying to give a spark to a lethargic offense.  It should have been a safe call as explained.  If it's open, throw it.  If not, run or throw it away.  No where did Skip tell BJ that one of the options was to throw it 2 yards behind the receiver.

I'm going out on a limb and guessing that's not where BJ intended to throw the ball ... and the way the ball came off his hand wobbling, I'm not sure it didn't slip out as he threw it ... He usually throws pretty pass, even to the other jersey.

Archived