• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Does Anyone Understand The Offense?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  4,738
  • Days Won:  0

The same guys that were pounding leavitt for sitting on the ball at half are begging holtz to do it. Lolz

care to share a link?? I love when people make generalized statements about a message board and don't back it up.

anybody who passes the ball inside their own 20 with less than a minute left is an idiot. I don't care who the coach is.

it's happened twice now in crucial situations.

sure, have the mods activate the search

otherwise you would know if youve been on here for any length of time that it was a topic of conversation almost every game

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  1,027

I still come back to this....re-watch the game....there are WR open on ALL interceptions.....he throws to his primary read....the D only covers where he looks.....the announcers even saw that......its not the system....put it this way....

If the engine of an 18 wheeler came out of a Prius......how good would that be?

It would be undoubtedly god-awful, but apparently the consensus solution is to replace the Prius engine with one from a leaf blower.

• Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

The same guys that were pounding leavitt for sitting on the ball at half are begging holtz to do it. Lolz

care to share a link?? I love when people make generalized statements about a message board and don't back it up.

anybody who passes the ball inside their own 20 with less than a minute left is an idiot. I don't care who the coach is.

it's happened twice now in crucial situations.

sure, have the mods activate the search

otherwise you would know if youve been on here for any length of time that it was a topic of conversation almost every game

how do you know they're the same people? there are actually people on here who believe Holtz was correct for passing the ball inside his own 20 with less than a minute left. of course in hindsight he admitted he was wrong as did his own father at halftime.

• Content Count:  5,241

I understand our offense.

Short passes, a few runs. Punt and hope our special teams our defense scores.

• Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

I am not saying that he was correct, just pointing out that, a BCS qb should be able to execute that throw and either have a completion or incomplete pass because all he has to do is not throw behind the receiver.

Right call or wrong, it should be an easy play to execute. And yes, the general theory is... Take a shot down field on first down with a safe pass, if you get 15-20 yards, you try to score. If the pass is incomplete, take a knee to end the half.

• Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

I still come back to this....re-watch the game....there are WR open on ALL interceptions.....he throws to his primary read....the D only covers where he looks.....the announcers even saw that......its not the system....put it this way....

It would be undoubtedly god-awful, but apparently the consensus solution is to replace the Prius engine with one from a leaf blower.

:ROFLMAO :ROFLMAO :ROFLMAO

Guest nybullsfan

HOF post

• Content Count:  444

1. Agree with you on Gidrey, the only time he has made an impact is with 4-5 false starts (usually in the red zone), Also agree that Shaw should get more touches, but we had 29 running plays, 25 were BJ and Mo (who had a great game, so I wouldn't want to reduce his touches). Shaw had one, Eveld's sack was one, and Lamar had 2. There weren't a lot of touches to distribute.

2. OL is not that bad. BJ can't read a blitz and then beat it. Defense doesn't have to keep all of their DBs and LBs back because they are worried about getting beat on the pass

3. You run the hitch routes and WR screens to spread out the defense and keep them from crashing the line of scrimmage on the run. You can't run without some sort of passing game. Clearly a conventional passing game isn't going to work with BJ as our QB, so the coaching staff was trying to figure out a way to keep WVU honest.

4. The call at the end of the half... sure, you could take a knee, hind sight, probably the best thing to do. However, if your QB can't run a 2 min offense, then you're not going to win any games against a decent team. You can't win by sitting on the ball. It was a very safe play call. BJ rolled out and could run, or, the pass was thrown to a WR running a route toward the sideline. BJ doesn't even have to read the WR, the mission on that pass is to throw the ball to the sideline. The WR either catches it, or it's OB. BJ threw behind the WR who had a step on the defender. Poor pass on what should have been a very safe play call.

Sorry, I am not down on the coaches, I am not down on the OL, WRs, RBs. The defense is pretty lights out right now. One guy is holding us back. The coaches have tried power I, they have tried spread, they have tried read-option. BJ can't execute anything they ask him to. It's time for a change.

Aren’t personnel decisions the responsibility of the coaches?  Its not BJ’s fault he starts, it’s the coaches who have failed to execute effective decision making.

• Content Count:  809
  • Days Won:  1

1. Agree with you on Gidrey, the only time he has made an impact is with 4-5 false starts (usually in the red zone), Also agree that Shaw should get more touches, but we had 29 running plays, 25 were BJ and Mo (who had a great game, so I wouldn't want to reduce his touches). Shaw had one, Eveld's sack was one, and Lamar had 2. There weren't a lot of touches to distribute.

2. OL is not that bad. BJ can't read a blitz and then beat it. Defense doesn't have to keep all of their DBs and LBs back because they are worried about getting beat on the pass

3. You run the hitch routes and WR screens to spread out the defense and keep them from crashing the line of scrimmage on the run. You can't run without some sort of passing game. Clearly a conventional passing game isn't going to work with BJ as our QB, so the coaching staff was trying to figure out a way to keep WVU honest.

4. The call at the end of the half... sure, you could take a knee, hind sight, probably the best thing to do. However, if your QB can't run a 2 min offense, then you're not going to win any games against a decent team. You can't win by sitting on the ball. It was a very safe play call. BJ rolled out and could run, or, the pass was thrown to a WR running a route toward the sideline. BJ doesn't even have to read the WR, the mission on that pass is to throw the ball to the sideline. The WR either catches it, or it's OB. BJ threw behind the WR who had a step on the defender. Poor pass on what should have been a very safe play call.

Sorry, I am not down on the coaches, I am not down on the OL, WRs, RBs. The defense is pretty lights out right now. One guy is holding us back. The coaches have tried power I, they have tried spread, they have tried read-option. BJ can't execute anything they ask him to. It's time for a change.

+1

• Content Count:  809
  • Days Won:  1

I understand the system will work but not with this personnel. Holtz said he would adapt his system to fit the personnel. he has not.

You keep saying "adapt the system to the personnel," but what do you want him to do?  He gave BJ his shot at read-options and he did jack diddly.  He had plenty opportunity to pass the ball as well in a variety of routes/situations and he still blew it. 

I think you're just looking for a way to blame Holtz, but Holtz has "adapted" the offense in almost every conceivable way to help BJ and he is not executing. 

Archived