• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF to take part in the 2010 EPA Game Day Challenge

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  341
  • Days Won:  1

USF to take part in the 2010 EPA Game Day Challenge

Courtesy: USF

Release: 10/06/2010

Share |

Courtesy: USF

TAMPA - As part of the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency's (EPA) 2010 Game Day Challenge, USF has signed up to compete against other colleges across the country to compete to see who can reduce, reuse, and recycle the most waste. The challenge is for schools to design a waste reduction plan for one home football game in October and measure the results. The amount of waste generated and recycled will determine which school is the greenest. The competition is sponsored by EPA's WasteWise program.

USF has selected the 2010 Homecoming game, this Saturday against Syracuse as the day for the 2010 EPA Game Day Challenge.

Schools can compete and win in several categories. USF is going to collect materials for recycling such as cans and plastic bottles through pre and post game activities. From 10am until Noon, volunteers who will be wearing bright green T-Shirts with Go Green, Go Bulls imprinted on them, will be going through the tailgating area and encouraging tailgaters to give their recyclables to them. As a thank you, tailgaters will receive BOGO cards from Chipotle, while supplies last. Post game, the volunteers will go through the stands in the stadium to collect recyclables.

How can you make it easy for USF to be successful in the 2010 EPA Game Day Challenge?

While you are tailgating, create a pile with your cans and plastic bottles, so they can easily be picked up by volunteers. Even better, look for the closest recycling can and place your cans and plastic bottles in them.

When the game ends, leave your plastic bottles and cans by your seat so that volunteers can pick up your recyclables as they go through the stands.

More information on the Game Day Challenge: http://epa.gov/gameday/

The Office of Sustainability coordinates and builds partnerships for university-wide initiatives that advance the University of South Florida's strategic goal of creating a sustainable campus environment. We actively support faculty, staff, students, alumni, and neighborhood partners in their efforts to transform the University of South Florida into a 'Green University', where decisions - structural and routine - consider both individual and collective impacts to our campus, community, economy and environment. As citizen-scholar activists, we share a sustainability ethic that promotes conserving resources, reducing waste, recycling and reusing materials, finding new sources of clean energy, increasing energy efficiency, and diminishing life-cycle impacts and our consumption of greenhouse gas producing materials. WE engage in this ethic of stewardship to guide the development and implementation of programs, policies, and other courses of action in the operation and management of the University of South Florida system as well as its institutional teaching, research, and service commitments.

• Content Count:  7,796
  • Days Won:  6

The amount of waste generated and recycled will determine which school is the greenest.

Doesn't that seem counter productive?  Wouldn't you want to reward creating less waste?  Plus, we're all driving to RJS burning gas.

On a side note, I'm all for conservation and recycling, but I despise the EPA, aka Green Police.

• Content Count:  624
  • Days Won:  1

Of course KEGS are ultra reusable thus very "green" but those aren't allowed!!!

• Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

Look for the closest recycling bin!!!!!!  :ROFLMAO :ROFLMAO :ROFLMAO :ROFLMAO

Were lucky if ppl look for the closest bathroom

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Content Count:  3,034
  • Days Won:  5

I haven't seen any bottles and plastics bins in the parking lots this year. Last year they were all over the place.

So they don't want you to clean up after yourself post game? Where am I going to stack all of my plastic bear bottles? Guess I'll have to stand the entire game and put them in the seat.  >:D

• Content Count:  7,693
  • Days Won:  2

Good thing I can't make it, otherwise we would lose this one... I dump all of my trash in the middle of the road after every game.

Have to get my $15 dollars worth of fun  >:D

Also if you want to "Go Green" the kegs make sense since they are reusea-Bull.

Archived