• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Okay, not to complain, SPT, but....

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  7,201
  • Days Won:  3

Greg and the Times does a great job.  And there has been a lot on USF during the week.  So not to complain too much - but was a bit surprised by today's St Pete Times sports section.

In today's section, UF is featured on the front, bit picture, info on Pouncey, pretty common expecially after a not so great game, and with a home game tomorrow.  And I understand how many UF readers there are in the Bay area, plus they are ranked top 10.

Then I turn to page 3.  The remainder of the UF article is at the top.  Below it is where they have their "State College Roundup" not exactly what it is called, but you get the picture.  In that section, more UF stuff about their game, players, etc.  Then there is the FSU stuff.  Then the UM stuff.  The next section in it is info about O'Leary and the UCF game.  And that is it.

I went cover to cover in today's sports section, with USF playing arguably the biggest game in our short history tomorow (at least for SE bragging rights) and there is nothing at all in the paper about USF, except where we are mentioned briefly under the UF heading.

I was a bit surprised.  I do hope the entire sports section tomorrow is dedicated to USF.

• Content Count:  1,261
  • Days Won:  0

It won't matter when we're on the cover of every sports page in America come Sunday.

I guess what surprised me the most was that they had UCF coverage in there, and no USF coverage today.  Maybe I am being a bit too sensitive...  Probably an understatement.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  22,717
  • Days Won:  109

I wouldn't get too worked up over this.  My guess is tomorrow's paper will have more on USF and the game.  The SPT (Greg mostly) has done a good job this week leading up to it.

• Content Count:  6,712
  • Days Won:  17

Were they AP or Reuters stories? Or stories from the local writers?

Were they AP or Reuters stories? Or stories from the local writers?

It is all of the local beat writers who cover each of the respective schools.  That is why i thought it was so weird.  Usually in season, in the state colleges section, they have a 2 - 3 paragraph blurb on each of the major area schools.  FSU, UF, UM, USF and sometimes UCF are mentioned almost every day.

It just caught me off guard I guess.

Since I am heading up to Gainesville today, I won't see Saturday's paper until Sunday, so I am going a couple of days without coverage.  I guess going to the game will have to suffice.  :)

• Content Count:  1,400

It's funny that you mention the SPT because I got the Tampa Tribune today and on the Front Page Was a big picture and a story about A.J. Love of the Florida Gayturds and it continues to another page that has the State of Florida section which includes a story about UF,FSU,Miami,last nights SEC game, South Carolina and UNC. Yep I flipped through all the pages NOT ONE STORY about the HOME TEAM!!! 

So in short our LOCAL Newspapers SUCK :soapbox  (at least for today)

• Content Count:  12,293

It's funny that you mention the SPT because I got the Tampa Tribune today and on the Front Page Was a big picture and a story about A.J. Love of the Florida Gayturds and it continues to another page that has the State of Florida section which includes a story about UF,FSU,Miami,last nights SEC game, South Carolina and UNC. Yep I flipped through all the pages NOT ONE STORY about the HOME TEAM!!! 

So in short our LOCAL Newspapers SUCK :soapbox  (at least for today)

I didn't look at the Times so I can't comment on that one but in the Trib, yes there was the front page story on AJ Jones (not Love) who does play for the Gators but he is also FROM tampa.

The State of Florida section has an article about McCarney with the headline "McCarney knows and respects USF" and the whole write up is about his time at USF and the game vs auburn, etc. 

We, as fans, need to realize that although we are in Tampa Bay and USF is in Tampa, the majority of sports fans in this area are gator fans.  It will take a few more years to see a shift in that.  Tomorrow is a good first step.

• Content Count:  1,913
  • Days Won:  2

Here's the entire reason why there wasn't any USF in our practice roundup today: USF doesn't let us cover the Thursday practice. All those other schools have media access to their Thursday practice. So there's NEWS to write about. I haven't seen or talked to anyone from USF football since Wednesday night, so anything I put in Friday's paper is at least a day old. I told our copydesk they were welcome to take any of several notes I posted on the USF blog Thursday to keep a USF presence in the state roundup.

USF is well aware that closing Thursday's practice means they won't have comparable coverage in Friday's paper. They seem OK with that, but if you as fans have complaints to lodge, they might as well be directed at USF, rather than the Times. As always, any feedback you want to send to the Times can be sent to sptsnews@sptimes.com.

Archived