• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Potential Dream Sports Writing Position... You Decide...

The Sheriff

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  65
  • Days Won:  0

So is he interviewing just to be a sports columnist or to be the UF beat writer?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  6,754
  • Days Won:  19

Please hire him Slantinel... Get him out of here.

Will the apathy of our fans ever end? Not once, but twice in a three week period, the guy tries to bounce. Let me help you pack your boxes buddy.

As one of my bosses said when I was leaving for a different serving job while in college... No matter how good you are, you can be replaced and business will go on as usual.

I mean honestly... are you guys going to freak out because you didn't realize our newest addition to the team wasn't even a starter on a Division II club team? How come Scott Carter isn't reporting about this guy? He obviously missed our next Butkis candidate (deep down I hope the kid does well... just a point I'm trying to prove).

It's not the quantity of what is posted, it's the quality of the information... need I remind how many people complain about my favorite board member Smazza? He definitely has quantity covered...

Scott Carter got the UF job. He beat out Greg at the final interview. Greg is interviewing for the National Beat (as reported yesterday on The Trough).

• Content Count:  7,201
  • Days Won:  3

Not sure what the big stink is.  I suspect that all of us have left for greener pastures before.  If Greg is in fact looking, and if he does get a job that is better than his current one, congrats for him.

He has done a great job for us, and because of that, I am sure that he is in demand for bigger and better jobs.  Though we all love the Bulls, there are bigger jobs out there than that. 

The news business has gotten difficult in past years.  If he were to move on, they would either give his job to a newbie, or they would let someone else take the role on as a side item.  Every day, the papers have to do more with less, as media is changing right in front of our eyes.  How many of you subscribe to the paper, versus how many of you have parent's who do?  It is a generational thing.  That is why the Times created the TBT.  Because those younger than 30, for the most part, will probably never subscribe to the paper.

Greg, you have done a great job, and deserve the best in the future.  I hope you stay, but if you don't, no hard feelings.  As a businessman, I totally get why one might move on for something better than what they have (as long as it isn't a step backwards, say like going over to "Fanhouse" or something like that.)  ;)

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

of course times should hire a usf guy

• Content Count:  1,400

If you really like greg than you should call/write the St. Pete Times to make sure they do what they need to do to keep him If its a money Issue than I have no problem, many people leave for greener pastures.  If you think that hiring a USF alum to do his job will guarantee that he wont be tempted to leave for a better paying job you must be kidding your self. Maybe its time for Sheriff to go drink himself to sleep.

• Content Count:  1,079

I don't know why your so outraged that he would leave. He did a great job covering USF athletics while he was here, and now a better opportunity presented itself. You can't fault anyone that would like to better their lives. You got to understand while covering USF sports he has maybe a few hundred people reading his blogs and his writings but covering UF he will have a couple thousand reading it. He has never stirred anything up here at USF nor has he ever written anything defamatory towards the University. Get over it and let him move on if he wishes. Best wishes Greg.

Luckily for us, the guy who stepped backwards to "FANHOUSE" actually did more for the program with his LAST IMPORTANT story than all the feel good stories that have come from the keyboard of our resident homer over the previous three years. Sometimes you have to take one step back to move two steps forward. USF survived it's darkest days since the reporting of the INCIDENT by the only writer willing to stick his neck out there and call it like it was (placing friendships aside).

In five years when the program has reached milestones we've only dreamed about for the last 14 years, we'll know who to thank. Not to understate that our first ambassador did the unthinkable with such few resources; however we all realize he reached his ceiling (and those that don't, well, enjoy the ride). Skip has a mind and moxy that rivals Brian Kelly (check out his non-existant coaching turnover over the years). The only coach I would've been more excited for would've been Mike Leach (although as one board member pointed out, he'd probably want to call the plays from the Pirate ship). So, I'm not sure if Captain Jack Sparrow would've been the right fit, but he would've been fun.

And who doesn't love the fact that Skip is all smiles, is REAL with the players, and generally cares about the fans.

He's interviewing now, USF Stud. I'll keep my ear to the ground to see if he got hired and will report as such.

• Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

Wow!! You really have a hard-on for Greg, don't you?

Scott, too. 

The Sheriff believes that only USF grads should ever be hired by any paper to report on anything USF.  :)

Archived