• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Potential Dream Sports Writing Position... You Decide...

The Sheriff

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  6,754
  • Days Won:  19

The moderators recently deleted two threads of mine earlier in the week related to some potential job changes of a local beat writer (understandable I guess). In the early 90's, I covered local sports in Northern Virginia prior to entering into the military and have had thoughts of getting back into the industry (especially after I felt my Bulls were being abandoned... that’s a conversation for a different day though). This had me thinking... I'm curious to the thoughts of those on the board...

If you had a choice and you lived in Tampa, would you...

Cover the [glow=green,2,300]USF Bulls[/glow] beat for a local paper like the Tampa Tribune or the St. Pete Times? As we know, our fans are a very dedicated fan base and would probably take a bullet for the local writer if the writer quenched our thirst for Bulls action. Location is also everything to me... there's not many places where I would rather live and work than in Tampa (especially after moving away).

Cover the National College Football beat for say, the Orlando Sentinel. You’d have a larger and more anonymous viewing audience; however you’d probably have to relocate to Orlando.

Cover the beat directly for a university that has been pretty prominent in college football over the last three decades, say, the likes of Texas, USC, OU, UF, OSU, or UM. These are all schools that have made more than one trip to the National Championship game over the previous 30 years (and yes, I realize there might be a couple schools I overlooked).

Just curious to the thoughts of the masses on here.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well... with the overwhelming response we've had, I'd answer like this. If USF was not my alma mater, and someone else got hired instead of me for the coveted job at a premier school that might have attended, I think I would probably take the National College Football beat for say, the Orlando Sentinel. That's just my two cents though.  ;D

Don't let the doors hit you in the wazzou on the way out!

GREEN AND GOLD FOREVER GAYTURDS!

• Content Count:  809
  • Days Won:  1

Did I miss something? 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  17,490
  • Days Won:  13

Whatcha talkin bout Willis?

• Content Count:  17,061

Sheriff has gone left the last couple week.

You'll see... the PI has been busy this week staying in tune with the comings and goings of our beat writers.

• Content Count:  18
  • Days Won:  0

I can't stand it when you post something and leave everyone guessing. I can't find anything that says Greg is doing anything related to UF work...Post your source.

• Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

Wow!! You really have a hard-on for Greg, don't you?

• Content Count:  18
  • Days Won:  0

Says on Sportsjournalist.com that he only interviewed for the National Football writer position with the Orlando Sentinel. Didn't say he got it. What do you know that you're not saying?

Archived