• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

FINALLY Aug 4th: What good/bad news are we getting tomorrow?

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  4,741
  • Days Won:  3

What are/is this TE position you guys are talking about. I seem to remember hearing about one last year, but I think that it was only mentioned once, then forgot about of.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

Practice will be open at Vero Beach, I don't know if it's for media only or public.

Chat moderator said open to public.  Guess that's the "big news"?...

that is so lame....not news at all for people living in tampa

We don't travel well!!!

Good news for RECRUITING. If it's open to the public he can invite recruits there. I bet we get a few commits just from that.

Greg already has a story up on the press conference.

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/bulls/content/holtz-richardson-sherman-samuels-gone

• Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

Nice to see he mentioned KELLY!   ;D

It's kind of sad to see that this guy is a senior and we will finally be using him the way we should have a long time ago.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,653
  • Days Won:  424

So the consensus is that the "big news" was all bad news?  That, sir, *****.

No, the incoming transfers, the camp and that it's open to the public are good news.

We knew about the transfers and the camp already, though.

It wasn't official.

OK, fine, big=official.  I still feel cheated.

One of the downsides of this here Internet thingy .... fewer Christmas mornings.

• Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

The spread is not necessarily gone. It just means not rotating 9 WR and 4 or 5 running backs. You can have a spread with a rotation of 5 maybe 6 WR and 2 maybe 3 rb. Most teams like keeping their best players on the field/ court as much as possible. Can you imagine Kobe Bryant playing 26 minutes a game so that a fair rotation is maintained.

I am just surprised that over the years qb was not rotated like other positions (DE, OL, WR, CB, RB, S, even LB some games). Only guys exempt were QB and TE (cause those guys weren't used).

Seems like we are closer to traditional football. Gotta wait and see what happens on the field.

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

this is a wonderful time

Back to the future.  ;)

"Defenses have caught up," Stewart said. "The deal is this: People have caught up to the spread because they see it every day with their own teams and then they see it every week from the opponents. We're going to evolve back to where you have to out-block them and out-tackle them or most of the time you're going to lose. This is going to become more of a defensive ballgame now."

The membership insists as much. There are new coaches - Charlie Strong at Louisville, Butch Jones at Cincinnati and Skip Holtz at USF - and Stewart believes they'll trend toward the basics.

http://www.dailymail.com/Sports/201008010462

For those who missed it, you can watch a replay of the PC and read the chat transcript.

http://www.gousfbulls.com/ViewArticle.dbml?&ATCLID=204973631&DB_OEM_ID=7700

• Content Count:  2,994
  • Days Won:  4

i like the use of TEs because if they're always in the sets, the other team has to deal with more blockers, and deal with them being released and used as receivers. i think they're quite essential because if they're large guys like they should be, they're both efficient in blocking and tall to catch passes in the middle.

it keeps the front 7 on the D drawn in enough to deal with the TE or TEs blocking and opening running holes, and it also keeps the DBs honest from all dropping back and opening huge holes in the middle. that in turn helps both the running game and the deeper passing game.

i'm surely excited to see more power running and misdirection plays, and then some play action to burn them with a big gain. i agree that in the big east, playing more of a pro style is more effective. teams like uconn and pitt do very well with the pro style. in the past, wvu, usf, and cincy did great with spreads but eventually someone catches on...how else do we do so well against wvu's spread? we we're used to it and knew how = less adjustments = more effective

sounds like a decent presser. i do hope the camp to vero goes well, attracts some good east coast recruits, and is injury free. an hour south of vero gets you to palm beach, and an hour north gets you to titusville/cocoa, so that encompasses alot of ground, and if you extend it to around a 2 hour drive then you can get guys from ft lauderdale coming up to watch, as well as guys from daytona and orlando, and even guys from belle glade (glades day/glades central/pahokee have tons of good recruits).

Archived